All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
ayahni
join:2013-02-10

ayahni to LLigetfa

to LLigetfa

Re: [Equipment] WISP roof/tower equipment list

Yes you are right. I want to clarify that first installation is going to be in the roof of a tall building. This building already has a large lighting protection.

Please note that I leave outside the us and I need to buy everything at once.

Thanks
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

OK so then you will bond the mast to the building protection. What about entrance protection? I assume that you will have penetrations through the building envelope for power and data. How is power and data being brought to the roof?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to ayahni

Mod

to ayahni
It may help if you told us the country this equipment will be installed in.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to ayahni

Premium Member

to ayahni
said by ayahni:

Yes you are right. I want to clarify that first installation is going to be in the roof of a tall building. This building already has a large lighting protection.

WISP node on a tall tower in Panama will get hit frequently. You should make your own ground ring and bond to the building's grounding system.

You will need a large NEMA enclosure for the main router and PoE switch which will also need AC from the building. That should also be grounded properly.

Typical outdoor wisp radios will actually benefit from being put inside separate NEMA enclosures for such humid location. I say this from extensive experience in my home country which is sort of like Panama weather wise.

The sector antenna specs (how many degrees, what front-to-back ratio) will depend on where you place them on the roof. If they only allow you to put a single pole in the center, you are limited to 3 sectors.

Ideally, you will put 4 dual-radio boxes near the 4 corners and hang 2 sectors down the sides of the building at each corner. That is a total of 8 sectors which gives you lots of capacity to serve an urban area.

Mikrotik will most probably be best for the main router and also the separate AP routers for the corners.
said by ayahni:

Please note that I leave outside the us and I need to buy everything at once.

You are going too fast! You need to get someone to climb on the roof and take some photos looking out in each direction and also capture some spectrum usage graphs using a wispy type device.

You should first create a detailed plan for this rooftop node and use a spreadsheet to create the list of all the things to buy.

You can purchase on-line from different companies and get them shipped to some contact in USA or Canada. Then you get everything shipped at once to Panama.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to ayahni

to ayahni
A picture is worth at least 1000 words.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

lutful

Premium Member

said by battleop:

A picture is worth at least 1000 words.

here is a quick sketch of my suggestions to ayahni See Profile ...