Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Hagar

Premium Member

to Hagar

Re: At 7F outside heat pump maintained 73F indoors

Not meaning to steal the thread....

That is one of the reasons we put a HP in our new house to replace the builders propane furnace.

When the gas furnace came on, it blew very hot air for 5-10 minutes then shut off. Room went back to 70* room temp when the jet engine blast stopped, and we felt cold. Repeat this 2-3 times an hour and we were really uncomfortable.

With the HP, I never can tell when it runs, and the room always just feels the same temperature. One night just after the install, I was sitting there and after an hour of so was marveling at how well the house held the heat since the HP had not come on, then I looked at the thermostat, and the unit was running.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar

You and Pandora seem to have well designed HVAC system and good experience with your heatpumps. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I do not understand why HP are not more popular in the US and why the common perception is that they are no good?

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Hagar:

I do not understand why HP are not more popular in the US and why the common perception is that they are no good?

There is a widespread misconception that "heat pumps don't work in cold climates".
Actually undersized head pumps don't work well in cold climates. The "upstairs" system of my home gets to even cycle at 10F.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to Hagar

to Hagar
said by Hagar:

You and Pandora seem to have well designed HVAC system and good experience with your heatpumps. Thanks for sharing your experience.

They're pretty popular below the Mason Dixon Line. Maybe the issue was people weren't getting properly designed systems installed, or not using them correctly / false expectations.

I have no complaints with mine either, but since I grew up out on the Great Plains, what really got us motivated were two months of $400 resistive heating months in a row - that's why we installed the propane furnace as backup.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar

Maybe I am biased since I live in California. Electricity here is very expensive compared to gas that even with a COP of 4 you would not save money.

Heatpumps are not common which is sad since we have the perfect climate for them.