Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

recently installed AO Smith Vertex WH - leaking at condensat

Just a quick question.

The water heater has a condensate drain, and ours seems to be having trouble draining (think I've fixed this), and there's a small condensate leak that looks to be at the connection of the large PVC elbow to the tank body - it's a rubber gasket connection with a pipe clamp.

i've tried to narrow down where the leak is - the plug at the bottom, the pressure sensor link, and the line to the condensate drain are dry - i think it has to be the larger seal, and i don't see anything in the manual on how to either try to re-seat it or replace it.

i'm hoping that by getting the condensate to drain a bit better, it'll fix the issue, but it didn't last night. we're talking a couple ounces of water a day, or so. we completed the installation about 4 months ago, and i can only guess that the condensate hasn't been draining as well as it should all that time. i'd be surprised if letting it run like that for that length of time would have caused anything more than a pressure fault, but i don't know.

hoping that those of you with some experience with these (vertex, power vent, direct vent) will chime in. once i have an idea what needs to be done, i'll get the installer back out to fix it (i'd rather not be guessing).

thanks!
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

said by jig:

once i have an idea what needs to be done, i'll get the installer back out to fix it (i'd rather not be guessing).

thanks!

So why in the world do you need to do the guessing on a brand-new unit? Isn't that his *job*? Do you go to the doctor and tell him how to treat you when you are sick?

Hawk
Riding Thermals
Premium
join:2003-08-25
The Desert
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jig

said by jig:

once i have an idea what needs to be done, i'll get the installer back out to fix it (i'd rather not be guessing).

It would probably be wise to let the installer/company determine the issue. Some companies might void your warranty (with them) if you or others attempt a repair before giving them the option. You can certainly watch and ask questions to further your education on the piece of equipment if you choose.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

Let me chime in, as I am an AO Smith service agent, and have installed many vertex heaters...

Is yours a GPHE or a GDHE? I`m going to assume the GPHE, as its the cheaper and more common heater.

Do you have a 2" PVC tee (with a 4 tube fitting) on the exhaust line at the back of the heater, just before the elbow that connects the pipe to the blower? If its the newer style heater, you`ll have one.. Need to check all those lines for any leak.

Never really seen an issue with the connection between the 2" fernco and PVC at the back bottom of the heater. Couldnt hurt to tighten up the hose clamp tho

Some pics would help.

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

thanks, i'l see if i can get a pic. it's the GDHE-50-NG.

also, i think we're talking about the same 2" PVC elbow - the one that the condensate drains from? two 2" orifices, one orifice for the block sensor (plastic tube to aluminum tube pretty much all the way to the top), one orifice for the condensate drain tube (pex?), and one plugged orifice for whatever reason.

it might be that the elbow isn't seated correctly in the rubber o-ring. i'll post a pic as soon as i can, probably in a few hours.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

Ah yea, i got the model nums mixed up. The GDHE is actually a light commercial class product, with 100k btu input at 96% efficient. These heaters make a lot of water in a 50gal package.

Couldnt hurt to loosen the hose clamp, pull the elbow out, give it a good wipe with a rag on both surfaces, then reassemble. Hmm could also check for a mold seam that wasnt trimmed on the rubber fernco, that can cause a leak also

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to jig

You had a WH professionally installed and you are even thinking about messing it with it yourself?? Say good-bye to any warranty that you HAD. This is the type of stuff you PAID for already.