spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DaveX510
@comcast.net

DaveX510

Anon

additional ip addresses?

Need another ip for xbox live. Both 360s will be used at the same time and often in same games. I called Comcast a few days ago after being on hold got disconnected twice. The third person after like 20 min said he couldn’t find an option in his computer and it’s not available in my market. He said I could get a business account for more $$ and it would change my tv service or I could get an additional account and modem again a lot more money.

Is there anyway of verifying it’s not available? I’ve been given false info by Comcast before and he just seemed to want to get me off the phone.

Btw I’m in N Houston (77066)
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 recommendation

ExoticFish

Yes, you will need business class internet to obtain additional IP addresses.
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

voiptalk to DaveX510

to DaveX510
said by DaveX510 :

Need another ip for xbox live. Both 360s will be used at the same time and often in same games.

Why does that require a second public IP address?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
Just use a UPnP enabled router

but on the security side test it to make sure that UPnP isn't exposed on the wan side.

then you're good, so long as you don't get a virus that uses UPnP to mess you up.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to voiptalk

to voiptalk
I wondered that too. LoL

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

whfsdude to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
Just use IPv6

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

I wondered that too. LoL

I also wonder that myself.

I know its a different ISP (Time Warner instead of Comcast) but my friend's kids have two Playstation 3's in the house, and they have both connected via a lan cable to her router/modem (its a combo unit), and they work just fine. They have two TV's and they all play the same game on both systems online without any problems.

So, not sure what the problem is, and why you have to have two different public IP's to be able to connect two xbox 360's in your own home.

Would it not function like having multiple desktops, laptops, or tablets connected to your internal network? Each one of them does not require their own public IP to function.

--Brian

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well unlike desktops gaming systems tend to need some static or simi-static port forwarding.

And while at first thought you'd think oh so ports x, y, and z are needed to be forwarded to xbox1, then what about xbox2.

Well when the xbox is able to use UPNP to configure the router there are additional ports it can use instead of the widely know ports.

so the 2nd xbox is then able to use UPnP to config your UPnP enabled router to forward some ports to it. all dynamically.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

You can't tell me that's necessary. LAN parties ???? I've never heard of anyone having to do anything special for them.

DaveX510
@comcast.net

DaveX510 to DaveX510

Anon

to DaveX510
Ya both xboxs need ports 3074 etc otherwise one always one will have a strict nat and trouble connecting or staying connected. MY wife and I both play and most games don’t allow split screening on ranked matches even if we wanted to. I had read here and other places (1-3 years) old about getting 4 additional IPs for like 10 a month that’s why I was asking. So I guess my options are dsl or an additional modem/account.

As far as ipv6 even If I had a public address from Comcast xbox live doesn’t support it.

Lan parties are different. 8 people playing against each other. You don’t even need an internet connection for that just a switch. Problem is Microsoft requires certain ports like 3074 for each xbox. Upnp and port triggering can help get both online but causes problems.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

When I mentioned LAN parties, I was referring to those who play online while in the group...

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
don't use upnp. in fact, disable it.

»www.inquisitr.com/502276 ··· -blamed/

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

1 recommendation

plencnerb to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
said by DaveX510 :

Ya both xboxs need ports 3074 etc otherwise one always one will have a strict nat and trouble connecting or staying connected. MY wife and I both play and most games don’t allow split screening on ranked matches even if we wanted to. I had read here and other places (1-3 years) old about getting 4 additional IPs for like 10 a month that’s why I was asking. So I guess my options are dsl or an additional modem/account.

Well, if the Upnp option does not work, and if it is something that you will be doing a lot, maybe the option of a self-built router with 3 NIC's in it would work for you. One of the NIC's is connected directly to your cable modem, the 2nd would be your internal lan (Desktops, Laptops, etc) with all the correct rules and ports being blocked. The third, would really be a "wide open connection" to the internet, with no ports being blocked. Put a 8 port switch in there, and then connect your two (or 3, or 5) xbox's to that. That way, no ports need to be opened or traffic forwarded to specific IP's on the other side of your router. It will all be passed though.

Again, that would be a lot of extra work and setup, but from what I read, it could be done with Smoothwall Express. I believe Moonwall or PFSense would do the same thing, but not sure.

However, I do somewhat remember an issue with one of these game systems (don't remember which one), but if you did connect two or more behind a router, the 2nd would never connect, as they both had the same public IP. There was some rule in the game servers that if they saw multiple connections to the game from the same public IP, only one would be allowed in. If that's the case here, then yes you would need multiple public IP's. Again, that was a number of years ago, and I don't remember the game system or the specific game that had that issue. But, I do remember a very long discussion about that.

Edit:
Wanted to add a link to a news item that was posted by RyanC6 See Profile back on 05/07/2012 that references what I was talking about (separate network on a home-built router for gaming). See the section "Orange Interface" for more information on this

»Securing Your Home Network Utilizing Multiple Network Interfaces [0] comments

--Brian

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

You can't tell me that's necessary. LAN parties ???? I've never heard of anyone having to do anything special for them.

LAN parties the computer aren't talking across a NAT.
DarkLogix

1 edit

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

don't use upnp. in fact, disable it.

»www.inquisitr.com/502276 ··· -blamed/

Ya my net doesn't even support UPnP, I just know what it can do for xbox360's and I also know what it can do for viruses.

Actually its worse than that.
over 80million have UPnP exposed on the Wan interface, which is something that is not part of the standard.

UPnP was only ever meant to be on the lan. But some lazy programers messed up.

»www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
See 390 and 389
DarkLogix

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
said by DaveX510 :

Ya both xboxs need ports 3074 etc

Actually if your router is using UPnP then only the 1st one turned on needs 3074, the 2nd one will get another port, the details of the port selection the Xbox'es use is not listed in a doc.

thus if you want multiple Xboxes to all be open-nat then you sadly have to use UPnP.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to DaveX510

Premium Member

to DaveX510
said by DaveX510 :

Need another ip for xbox live. Both 360s will be used at the same time and often in same games. I called Comcast a few days ago after being on hold got disconnected twice. The third person after like 20 min said he couldn’t find an option in his computer and it’s not available in my market. He said I could get a business account for more $$ and it would change my tv service or I could get an additional account and modem again a lot more money.

Is there anyway of verifying it’s not available? I’ve been given false info by Comcast before and he just seemed to want to get me off the phone.

Btw I’m in N Houston (77066)

Additional dynamic IPv4 addresses (up to five) are indeed available from Comcast, but as the sales rep told you, the availability (of anything that Comcast offers) varies in each franchise.

A business class account (even without static IP addresses) does have a five IP address capability (I am currently using four of my five allowed IP addresses). The only caveat for using multiple dynamic IP addresses on a business class account is that you will need to have a Motorola SB6120 or SB6121 because the business class gateway boxes don't support that option, and the SB612x modems are the only other modems that are officially supported for business class accounts.

I have both a business class HSI account and a residential TV account; there is no need to change your TV account to a business account (in fact, my local franchise will not allow business class TV accounts at a residential address). The only "change" to your current TV account (should you migrate your HSI to business class) would be that if you currently have a double-play discount, you would lose that discount for the TV account.

If you want to bypass the tier one CSRs and get a definitive answer for availability at your current location, I would suggest starting a thread with your question in the »Comcast Direct forum. You will need to setup an account on this site before you can post in the »Comcast Direct forum.

quickReply
@comcast.net

quickReply to DarkLogix

Anon

to DarkLogix
Just wanted to add that if you're using pfSense and its UPnP service, you can configure it to only accept traffic from specific addresses. This way, one can use the benefits of UPnP while reducing security issues.

Example: Post #6 »forum.pfsense.org/index. ··· 7.0.html

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
Thanks for the links. I didn't bother to lookup the status of my router's UPnP, just disabled it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by jap:

Thanks for the links. I didn't bother to lookup the status of my router's UPnP, just disabled it.

Well you might THINK you have but testing shows on some routers the "disable UPnP" option doesn't really do anything.

So I'd test it to be sure.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Just use IPv6

No like option

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

testing shows on some routers the "disable UPnP" option doesn't really do anything.

What kind of dark logic is that?

Who are these router makers shipping do-nothing UPnP firmware settings? If true they need to get an earful & be blacklisted.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

!@#$%^&* Nginx Gateway Errors!

Will somebody at DSLR please occasionally feed the hamsters that power this site?

I mean really, do I need to call PETA or ASPCA?
NetFixer

NetFixer to jap

Premium Member

to jap
said by jap:

said by DarkLogix:

testing shows on some routers the "disable UPnP" option doesn't really do anything.

Who are these router makers shipping do-nothing UPnP firmware settings? If true they need to get an earful & be blacklisted.

It is SOP; the same kind of logic that created the "Disable WPS" setting that did nothing (and left the router owners open to attack).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to jap

Premium Member

to jap
said by jap:

said by DarkLogix:

If you watch the security now netcast I linked he mentions it.
and as Netfixer said just like the ones with the do nothing disable wps setting
DarkLogix

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

It is SOP; the same kind of logic that created the "Disable WPS" setting that did nothing (and left the router owners open to attack).

I wouldn't call it standard but lazy programing.

Many UPnP routers shipped with super early upnp code that was never meant to hit retail.

Some routers though do function properly.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to DaveX510

MVM

to DaveX510
The OP needs additional IPs unfortunately. I have configured every option available to get an Open NAT on all 5 of my Xbox 360s. Bottom line is that you will only get open NAT on the 1st Xbox that logs on. UPnP absolutely does not work to get an open NAT on multiple Xboxes.