uniqs
hussle87
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

hussle87

Premium Member

fuzzy picture?

I have one digital cable box and a DTA and the cable box picture is fine while the dta's picture is fuzzy Do I have a bad or loose cable somewhere?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

The DTA only provides a lower-quality, standard-definition (SD) Ch. 3/4 RF output, while your digital cable box is probably providing a high-definition (HD) output via an HDMI or component video connection, so the DTA's picture will therefore look "fuzzy" in comparison.

However, Comcast has started to roll out an HD version of the DTA now for use with HDTV sets: »Comcast HD Digital Adapter Video
hussle87
Premium Member
Sykesville, MD

hussle87

Premium Member

well it used to be clear?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by hussle87:

That's pertinent information you didn't put in your first post...

So what TV is the DTA connected to? an LCD or an older analog CRT TV? or?
timtom83
join:2012-11-15

timtom83 to hussle87

to hussle87
there is switch on the back. Make sure it is on channel 3 not 4

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to hussle87

MVM

to hussle87
said by hussle87:

OK, sorry, I took "fuzzy" as less picture resolution.

Then, are you now seeing a sudden picture impairment, like pixelations? That could indicate a degradation in the RF input signal to the DTA.
hussle87
Premium Member
Sykesville, MD

hussle87

Premium Member

Click for full size
it just looks a little snowy like this. hopefully this helps.
Again it is usally clear.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

That looks like RF interference, that's likely from the cable wire acting as an antenna and picking up unwanted radio noise. I would try a different piece of coax cable, since it's possible one of the cables is bad. First check from the TV to the DTA and then if that doesn't work check out the cabling from the wall to the DTA.
Be sure to protect from interference be sure to get an RG6 cable with at least double shielding and maybe even triple or quad shielded to be ultra sure. Should be able to find decent pre-made RG6 cables at Home Depot. The stuff Comcast uses from their truck when they visit is almost always quad shielded RG6.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

said by SpHeRe31459:

That looks like RF interference, that's likely from the cable wire acting as an antenna and picking up unwanted radio noise. I would try a different piece of coax cable, since it's possible one of the cables is bad. First check from the TV to the DTA and then if that doesn't work check out the cabling from the wall to the DTA.
Be sure to protect from interference be sure to get an RG6 cable with at least double shielding and maybe even triple or quad shielded to be ultra sure. Should be able to find decent pre-made RG6 cables at Home Depot. The stuff Comcast uses from their truck when they visit is almost always quad shielded RG6.

most places use tri. quad is over kill unless its need in comm closets and such. if i had to use tri on every install, i would be pissed.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by gar187er:

said by SpHeRe31459:

most places use tri. quad is over kill unless its need in comm closets and such. if i had to use tri on every install, i would be pissed.

Oops I stand corrected, I haven't looked recently at the exact type of RG6 I have around from Comcast.

I know quad is overkill, just trying to think of every way possible to eliminate RF issues.

For a short run from the wall to the TV, and certainly from the TV to the DTA, the typical pre-made double-shielded coax cable you can find in most stores would be fine.
hussle87
Premium Member
Sykesville, MD

hussle87

Premium Member

I was able to fix it with a new cable from the wall to the DTA.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to hussle87

to hussle87
just be sure your connectors are tight as well. loose connectors not only let signal out but also allow those outside signals in.