uniqs
share rss forum feed

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
reply to LazMan

Re: Long-Haul Fibre Amp site

said by LazMan:

Fibre quality was a LOT lower back then, hence the need for re-generators so often. We've stretched some spans to 7 amps between regen - but that's about as far as we can go, with the cable that's in the ground.

Yup, I remember sitting on a conference call with the CN splicers overnight several years ago while they were cutting over the cables to the other side of the ROW through Burlington (making way for new track construction primarily for Go Trains). Took forever because the fibers in the FOSCs kept breaking due to the glass/splices were so brittle because they had been there for so long. Good times

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

You must be mistaken. According to DSLR only copper can degrade and fiber has an indefinite lifespan. It's simply not possible for older fiber to be brittle because of age.

* For those who didn't get it that's a little sarcasm and not a post directed at anyone who has posted in this thread.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to zed173

said by zed173:

said by LazMan:

Fibre quality was a LOT lower back then, hence the need for re-generators so often. We've stretched some spans to 7 amps between regen - but that's about as far as we can go, with the cable that's in the ground.

Yup, I remember sitting on a conference call with the CN splicers overnight several years ago while they were cutting over the cables to the other side of the ROW through Burlington (making way for new track construction primarily for Go Trains). Took forever because the fibers in the FOSCs kept breaking due to the glass/splices were so brittle because they had been there for so long. Good times

Ive seen this same thing first hand. We are on an older sonet ring with ATT at our office that was put back in the late 90's early 2000s. They where updating some fiber paths in the area and wanted to redo some things so they came in after hours one night to do so. We had an old mechincal splice that they re did with a fusion splice. I think it took them 4 times before it took without the fiber cracking/breaking. You could obviously see it in the fusion splice screen, plus it would fail the loss test.