The rumor/news mill has Apple working on a watch

...a few fantasy images... »www.foxnews.com/tech/slideshow/2···#slide=1

»www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosn···eed-one/

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ

Seriously, I think it's a bad move. The obvious question, is
"who wears a watch in 2013." Are you supposed to use one hand to type on it?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

said by obeythelaw:

Given the success of the Pebble on Kickstarter I could see this being successful.

Believe me, I'm a little tired of i-this and i-that but I have a feeling something like this would take off.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to haroldo

I kind of like the fantasy image on SlashGear

»www.slashgear.com/apple-willow-g···1268768/

I'm not sure that I would want one but I do like using a Bluetooth earpiece. Perhaps this would expand the experience with having part of my phone on my wrist available at a glance. Of course the other option is glasses where both earpiece and watch functions are combined into one device. Hmmm

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

I wear a watch every day, a low tech submariner. I would not get an iWatch.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to haroldo

I wear a watch because I would get sick of pulling out my phone every time I wanted to know what time it was. That said, I'm with rugby See Profile, gotta step it up. It's analog only for me unless I went old school with some 70's red LED thing. Wristwatches are guy jewelry and unless the iWatch actually replaced some other tech AND had engineering quality on par with a fine watch, I am not interested.

Put the entire phone in there combined with a virtually 'invisible' in ear BT and some similarly 'invisible' BT mic, then I would seriously consider it.

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Troutdale, OR
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

I kind of like the fantasy image on SlashGear

»www.slashgear.com/apple-willow-g···1268768/

I'm kinda digging the one in this pic as well. That being said I'm kinda rough on watches but I have started wearing one again in the last few months.
--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing" D.Vader Episode IV

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to haroldo

I've never worn one, since school................

Plenty of cute girls to ask the time of...............

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

I still wear watches, I just added this Invicta to the collection for Christmas. I would totally by an iWatch.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Nezmo

Just sold my pebble for $300 :-D

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Of course they would fix it they day you sell it.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

I actually didn't sell it because it is 'incomplete' - I just realized I hate wearing a watch LOL

If Apple does make a watch I'd probably buy one - but if it didn't really wow me and offer some great features I'd probably end up returning it.

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
reply to haroldo

The problem is, the device would need to be paired with a larger device that you would carry in a pocket. To be very useful, one would need to be able to type on something, and human fingers have not become miniaturized. There is no way you can type on something as small as a watch with just fingers.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

said by Curiosity:

... To be very useful, one would need to be able to type on something,...

Voice dictation (yeah, I know, it's not perfect) for quick stuff. I don't think the iWatch is a replacement for a full blown computer. For older people, the iPhone itself is probably too small to type on right now.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
reply to rugby

said by rugby:

said by obeythelaw:

I wear a watch every day, a low tech submariner. I would not get an iWatch.

I'm with you. I wear a watch every day. I've got a collection of 10-12 to choose from. I'm a bit of a watch nut and still have a few I'd like to add to my collection.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo

I am quite happy with my low-tech self-winding 1960 Omega Seamaster, thank you very much! I bought it in the Omega showroom on a visit to Geneva, and have never had a problem with it since.

Say "no thanks!" to Apple iWatch!
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to haroldo

the iWatch sounds awesome. I'm sure they'll sell a bazillion of them.

I'm sure it won't be like any of the other millions of smart watch concepts I've personally seen since the early 2000s.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to haroldo

I just use my phone, seems to tell time well enough.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by Kearnstd:

You know, sometimes I don't have my phone on me. Imagine that. I'm so old school.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

Pointless idea frankly, what would be the purpose? I'll keep my Seamaster for when I want a nice watch to wear.

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to haroldo

Another watch fan here.

iWatch will be a nice novelty and will sell like hotcakes. I may even buy one just for **its and giggles if it's reasonably priced.

My daily watch will remain my Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8700. Rugged, accurate, and I never have to replace the battery.

In a pinch, my cell phone will also do. To this nearly middle-aged coot, I am continually amazed that younguns nowadays don't wear watches as much.
--
neuronbob.com

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

said by Kearnstd:

You know, sometimes I don't have my phone on me. Imagine that. I'm so old school.

Likely best to stick with whatever good reliable watch you have then.

I am betting if you leave your phone behind(say for example leaving in a car due to going into a place where a phone is not polite or allowed.) the iWatch stops working. I would not be shocked that if the moment it goes out of BT range of the iPhone it even stops telling the time.
--

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

2 edits
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

Pointless idea frankly, what would be the purpose? ...

The race for the next big thing is wearable computing. Google seems to have a huge lead with glasses.
Guessing (if this is real) that Apple has two choices, "win or go home" (to borrow a phrase from every high school football team's locker room). Having watched Microsoft's, near march to irrelevance, with them ignoring mobile and showing up very late to the party, I guess Apple doesn't want to go home, just yet.
Remember, this is the company that gets you to buy thing you didn't know you wanted.
Personally, I think it's hokey and too geeky to be chic. A large clunky piece of arm adornment is not what the fashionable urbanite wants to be seen sporting. It might make sense for special, business specific, situations, where the user might need both hands to hold something, or it's impractical to hold a phone, although, I can't think of an application. Maybe cyclists, quarterbacks or medical practitioners?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to haroldo

I hate to say this but I think Google got it right with Glass in terms of functionality but only to a point.

A hands-free and wrist-free display that can still keep you aware of your suroundings could be very useful indeed. The problem is how one would interact with such a display in terms of input.

But this really comes down to what the next big thing is and I don't know that an iWatch or Google Glass is it.

I personally don't like to use watches anymore,....

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

Didn't Apple already make a IPod Nano that fit on a watchband that was available separately?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Yes but that wasn't a watch,......it was an iPod,....

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to haroldo

I think Google Glass will be far superior to any iWatch. People in the market for a watch already have one, And with what Apple would likely charge for a watch they could likely get a high quality model from an established and proven watchmaker. And more importantly, A traditional watch is take it off at night, put it back on in the morning and no "Shit I forgot to charge my watch."

However I think the important thing for Google Glass is that it is pushing forward what wearable computing will be about and that is augmented reality.
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by Kearnstd:

I think Google Glass will be far superior to any iWatch. People in the market for a watch already have one, And with what Apple would likely charge for a watch they could likely get a high quality model from an established and proven watchmaker. And more importantly, A traditional watch is take it off at night, put it back on in the morning and no "Shit I forgot to charge my watch."

However I think the important thing for Google Glass is that it is pushing forward what wearable computing will be about and that is augmented reality.

I have several watches that charge themselves (and I mean electrically, not automatic watches). And they can sit in a drawer for 6 months before they need some kind of light to recharge again. No, they are not using BT radios, etc (although some do use a radio to pick up on the atomic clock signals) but still... The power argument of this need not be an issue.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Kearnstd

People who enjoy watches often have more than one, just like people who enjoy Apple products tend to have several. I still wear one of my old Swatches from the '80s and I probably still have an old Mickey Mouse watch somewhere around the house. It's not about the cost or even function but more about collecting and wearing interesting accessories.

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to haroldo

As far as Google Glass is concerned, could anyone come up with a better way to distract a person with an accident as a result?

Texting on smartphones is bad enough, Google Glass will be ten times worse!
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6