how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

smccloud

join:2012-06-05
Becker, MN

Speed upgrades?

For the most part my 12M/768K connection is just fine. However, if my wife and I are both playing SWTOR & our daughter is streaming Netflix we start lagging and eventually get kicked off. The sad thing is, this happens when she's watching Netflix on her iPhone. I have chatted and been told that no one knows anything about an upgrade. Is there any way to find out when/if a faster download will be available in my area?

smccloud

Becker, MN
Also forgot, I am able to work from home some now and its very dissapointing that my typing (coding) is sometimes minutes behind what I type at home. I connect to work VPN then RDP to my work desktop. I'd just code on my home machine, but unfortunately that won't happen because I can't install some of the components I need on my home machine.

borisbadenov

join:2005-12-05
Barbourville, KY
not sure of the network requirements of your game but you should be able to play and do netflix with no problems if not then you have speed issues. I would speeds when your having problems.

smccloud

Becker, MN
Sadly, when I've checked it tests at 12M/768K using »testmy.net after my wife & I log out and our daughter stops using Netflix. When I chatted w/ Windstream I was told that using multiple devices would cause them to all be slower online. It took everything I had to say "Listen idiot, I have a degree in computer networking & a genius level IQ so I know how to setup a network and what a 12M connection should support. I shouldn't be having these issues."

borisbadenov

Barbourville, KY
Reviews:
·Windstream
I sadly we only have 3 mb connection and me and my son play a newer FPS that is recomneded 1 mb down connection for each and we can play on that with out having issues on our 3 mb line when we are getting full speed at the same time. It don't work out to well when somebody streams video though so i dont' see why 12 mb would have any problems. From what i have red netflix wouldn't require anymore than 3 mb line. Is everybody using the internet wirless or are the gaming rigs hooked up by ethernet

smccloud

Becker, MN
said by borisbadenov:

I sadly we only have 3 mb connection and me and my son play a newer FPS that is recomneded 1 mb down connection for each and we can play on that with out having issues on our 3 mb line when we are getting full speed at the same time. It don't work out to well when somebody streams video though so i dont' see why 12 mb would have any problems. From what i have red netflix wouldn't require anymore than 3 mb line. Is everybody using the internet wirless or are the gaming rigs hooked up by ethernet

My wife and I are hooked up via gigabit ethernet. There are two switches in between us and the router, but that doesn't cause enough lag to matter.

smccloud

Becker, MN
reply to smccloud
Click for full size
My current speeds, no one doing anything online

Upload is the worst.

borisbadenov

Barbourville, KY
wireless or ethernet?

smccloud

Becker, MN
Wired

borisbadenov

Barbourville, KY
i would turn the wirless down to 1 mb since they are using netflix on the cell phone

smccloud

Becker, MN
I enabled QoS with Netflix at a lower priority. I'll try that before I limit WiFi since that will affect me too.

QoSGenius

@windstream.net
reply to smccloud
Hi IT genius, have you considered QoS? You know, simple things like increasing the priority of your VPN on a OSI layer 3 method using tc qdisc and/or stb/htb? What about prio on TCP flags so you dont FIFO queue TCP ACK in favor of async upstream PSH? What about reducing your RDP color depth? I am sitting on 6M/768K and can support VoIP, ESP/IPSEC VPN, NetFlix on an iPad, Hulu Desktop, Facetime, all simultaneously, with latency to spare whilst consuming 100% of my circuit and a fraction of your downstream. Your streaming clients should rarely PSH. Sounds like you've got an opportunity for self-education and I am happy to help where I can and I am willing to share configs, though please stop parading yourself over Tier 1 helpdesk staff; you do not know as much as you think you do.

smccloud

Becker, MN

2 edits
Click for full size
Line monitor
Click for full size
Speedtest
I was RDPing in 8bit color and had issues. Also, at the time I was having issues no one else was up and using the Internet. QoS wouldn't have helped there. Also, somehow that day once my wife & daughter got up and started using the Internet my RDP connection got more stable. I added a QoS setting to reduce Netflix priority last night, but didn't get time to play SWTOR at all (and daughter wasn't streaming Netflix).

I have talked with other people in my apartment building w/ Windstream and the only one that doesn't have issues is the Windstream employee....

Also, notice anything wrong w/ this monitor & my upload speed?

QoSGenius

@windstream.net
Yep, I see a far-end speedtests in the graphs not getting a reasonable ICMP echo response due to an asymetric FIFO queue, something intrinsic in DSl, and some very decent speed tests under line utilization. Single selection of QoS on "NetFlix" I can't grok; are you matching on DNS CDNs or L7 HTTP/RTMP payloads and header structures? Honestly, I see no issues here and causational conjecture from soccer moms and neighbors don't help to substantiate your claims of a problem. Taking FECN or CRC errors? What about the ATM side? Your MTU accounting for the 8 bytes of PPPoE overhead? You respecting the additional MTU overhead of your VPN? Allowing PMTUD through ICMP type 3 code 4 or at least MSS clamping?

C'mon share configs not just entertainment and grieps and victories around harassing Tier 1, you went to school for this and are an IT genius. Lets fire up TCPdump on your egress span and make sure we're not seeing retransmissions and/or duplicate sequence numbers. I want to help you!

smccloud

Becker, MN
Click for full size
I've attached the QoS settings on my router (running DD-WRT). I am hoping my daughter will be using Netflix tonight to see if it helps at all. Also trying to remember how to get DD-WRT to let me access my modem from inside my network since I don't do it all that often. I can ping it, just not access the config page.

smccloud

Becker, MN
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
All the info I can get out of my modem.

QoSGenius

@windstream.net
reply to smccloud
That CIDR /18 isn't going to catch the regional CDNs, plus you cant really effectivly QoS your downstream unless you're suppressing egress TCP ACKs which will obviously cause retransmissions. You absolutely need to prio ACK over PSH on the egress side. Maybe I should share my tc/htb settings...

For accessing your DSL modem in bridge mode (right? You're not doing a double NAT?) you need to create a separate 802.1q VLAN and do a DNAT in the POSTROUTING iptables chain.

I am 6M/768k and can sustain with no felt impct 100% uptream utilization and for example, VoIP, IPSEC VPN, Hulu, SSH, and two NetFlix clients streaming on iOS while I jam out to di.fm at 128Kbps AAC.

Your QoS settings look ineffective, you guys cover QoS/ToS, CDNs, regional CDNs, and TCP/IP with flags in class? Just curious, thanks!

smccloud

Becker, MN

1 edit
reply to smccloud
I'm seriously considering setting up a pfSense box to get better QoS options. Finding IPs that can be used by Netflix is difficult at best. Plus I haven't been spending enough time on none enterprise equipment lately.

And yes, my modem is bridged. Got it working, issue was a typo on my part when I created startup command(192.0.1.2 instead of 192.168.1.2).

QoSGenius

@windstream.net
My affinity has been towards Linux-based SOHO routers but a BSD solution isn't bad either, pf is very useful, I use it on iOS.

smccloud

Becker, MN
said by QoSGenius :

My affinity has been towards Linux-based SOHO routers but a BSD solution isn't bad either, pf is very useful, I use it on iOS.

Any specific Linux Router Distro you use?

QoSGenius

@windstream.net
My personal affinity is towards Tomato USB, a more modern fork of Tomato. I am using it on a Buffalo WHR-G54S which is a MIPSR1 CPU. I'm using the 2.4 kernel, which I know is considered EOL, but it is still maintained by a single kernel maintainer and Tomato USB is running the latest 2.4 Kernel whereas Tomato is not. Tomato USB also includes some additional kernel modules I depend on, such as ipt_ROUTE, so that I can tear off a span port of ppp0 and see my actual Internet edge for packet recording or inspection.

I tend to avoid DD-WRT due to their "standing on the shoulders of giants" and anti-GPL and FOSS tactics. Another good distribution is OpenWRT, though the QoS management settings in Tomato I find to be easier and superior for someone who isn't 100% on tc/iptables mangle.

For an actual device one can obtain now, I found the ASUS WL520GU to be reasonably priced, stable, and works well. My father uses this with Tomato USB.

Finally, I prefer to use a separate AP, in my case, a WAP54G, and disable the onboard wireless and remove the Broadcom kernel module for wireless on-boot. This gives me more RAM and also eliminates some known stabilty issues with that driver causing kernel reboot. I run a mailserver/webserver/etc and prefer not to have my Internet router reload unnecessarily. Good luck and best wishes, your DSL line and speeds too seem to be very good just in need of some effective QoS.

Remember, you can't QoS your downstream effectively; I've disabled it entirely. I only QoS my upstream and the respective TCP flags and have zero issues regarding circuit saturation. It's vital you accurately set your upstream with -+ 20K for overhead. I've set mine to 600 on a 768K line.

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..
My QoS is set to 600 up on old Tomato and it makes all the difference in the world. I also prioritize ICMP and small ACK packets. I am pretty sure if not for QoS I would not be able to share my .8M prime time speeds on 3 people on my network. Only when the ping gets high or I try to stream or download do I really notice how piss poor my service really is.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

smccloud1

@windstream.net
reply to QoSGenius
I'm stuck with DD-WRT unless I install a router distro on an old computer. Damn E1200 V2.