how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Agrajag

join:2005-04-04
Cherry Hill, NJ

Troubleshooting Reliability Issues CAT5

I have a Rev F ActionTec behind my Asus RT-AC66U router (which just replaced my D-Link DIR-655).

I also have standard FiOS Internet service which I think is 25/25 and that's plenty fast for me for now.

I'm not sure I recall what setup I have from the FAQ but the ONT is in Ethernet mode with our router first.

For the last several months (spanning both of my own routers) I've been having an odd situation regarding reliability issues.

Things will be fine and speed tests show 25/25. However, then we'll notice things getting hit and miss. Services like Vudu (higher bandwidth movies) will suddenly start buffering and complaining about the connection. Downloads will slow to a crawl.

I'm wondering what I could do to troubleshoot this as calls to Verizon are doubly useless. They're usually fairly useless but once they can't ping the ActionTec it's a dead-end conversation. They keep telling me to give up the ghost and move back to the "now reliable" ActionTec. Uh huh.....

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
Well, it's important to know how your Actiontec is connected to the primary router: did you use the WAN port on the Actiontec or one of the LAN ports? For the latter, it's crucial you disabled DHCP on the Actiontec.

Agrajag

Cherry Hill, NJ
The ActionTec is connected to my router via the ActionTec's WAN port.

I'm pretty sure (at least initially) all settings were as they should be as everything worked GREAT for some time (years). Over the last several months things have gotten spotty.

Springbok

Colleyville, TX
Is the device on which you watch the video stream connected via WIFI?

Agrajag

Cherry Hill, NJ
No. I'm not that bad. hehe

It's a Roku on an ethernet connection direct to the Asus.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Agrajag
Even if it's using the WiFi connection it shouldn't have an issue streaming any content from VuDu or Netflix. My Roku2 wireless box has zero issues streaming 3Bar HDX on VUDU and SUperHD streams from Netflix. They are all low bitrate streams. Below 10Mb/s.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
Just curious how you are getting SuperHD Streams from Netflix, I didn't think Vz signed on w/Netflix to support it.

Springbok

Colleyville, TX
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

Even if it's using the WiFi connection it shouldn't have an issue streaming any content

Right. Unless you have a weak WIFI connection. Since that variable is not an issue, looks like the problem lay elsewhere.

Agrajag

Cherry Hill, NJ
reply to Agrajag
Vudu would pretty much always present the first line of issues where I'd notice it buffering. When it gets bad, it buffers often and then, of course, tells me to back down to a lower quality. Once that happens I notice the issue across the network.