Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

1 edit

DC area internet issues

Click for full size
Ping test done tonight at 10:35p EST
Anyone in the DC area having issues tonight? I'm having significant issues with numerous sites - DSLR included - and it definitely shows. Routers in both Verizon's network and provider alter.net are showing ping times over 150-200ms at times, along with significant packet loss (>10%)

A ping test from here comes back with a warning, 3 fails, and high time to first hop (see attachment).

A release/renew of my IP made no difference.

Should I post this in the Direct forum in hopes that someone with some ability to report this kind of significant issue would read it?

Also, I started a new smokeping after release/renew my IP (got a new one)... if anyone feels this will also help, it's definitely showing there are issues out there.

Old smokeping - KS

New Smokeping - KS

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA

Seems snappy enough from NoVa at the moment, 11:10pm

dw

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
reply to mikev

And just like that, a switch is flipped and everything is all rosy again. Tests are back to normal (70ms from KS, ~100ms from the west), packet loss is gone, and all seems to be right with the world... for now.

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to dick white

said by dick white:

Seems snappy enough from NoVa at the moment, 11:10pm

dw

Yeah, that's the same time that I redid some of my traceroutes and found no issues... and thus all is once again right with the world. But it's very clear from the smokepings that there were DEFINITELY issues in the area tonight.

dunninger

join:2000-10-12
Arlington, VA
reply to mikev

I am having problems as of 5:00am.

dick white
Premium
Annandale, VA
reply to mikev

Working here @ 7:30am

dw

proefain
Premium
join:2000-05-08
Crofton, MD
reply to mikev

I'm having issues also.

1 second ping time to anywhere when it works with lots of drops.

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to mikev

I think the issues you guys may be experiencing right now are more localized, or could be related to specific sites you're accessing (try doing a traceroute and see where the issues are occurring).

I'm not having any issues right now either. My smokeping is clean and green, and a ping test shows sub-70ms latency from Kansas and no packet loss.

dunninger

Arlington, VA

I started a Smokeping before I left for work this morning. I am fine going to Kansas and California but I have 100% packet loss going to NY.

anon knoppix
Premium
join:2004-07-19
Lanham, MD
reply to mikev

Total outage today (12feb2013) starting around 9 AM until I returned at 3 PM.

No verizon.com, no pinging alternative DNS, No access to anything.

PG, Maryland area

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to mikev

No problems at all today so far... a solid line from KS at just under 70ms... but the 5:30p segment has a tiny bit of smoke on it already... might be a long night...

Also, I don't think NY is being used for smokeping anymore... I think it's only still there for the historical data that others likely have.

dunninger

Arlington, VA

Thanks for the information about NY and smokeping. At home now, things seem to be back to normal.

mairsil

join:2004-04-01
Rockville, MD

Having all kinds of problems here in Rockville. Connection timeouts and DNS resolution issues.

dunninger

Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

reply to dunninger

Not sure if this is a solution, but I noticed on devices where I had hard coded my DNS servers (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2) that I was having problems. I switched to the opendns servers and no longer have problems on those devices. It might be a coincidence but there could be a problem with Verizon DNS servers.

UncleGuy

join:2013-02-12
Hyattsville, MD
reply to mikev

Yes! I just got off the phone with Verizon FiOS Support and their recording said there are outages in the DC area they are dealing with.

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA

In the last 10 minutes, my smokeping graph has jumped from ~70ms to 150ms... so doubling the RTT so far...

dick white
Premium
Annandale, VA
reply to mikev

I'm still not having any particular issues. Now, I have google DNS hard coded in my ActionTec router, and until a few weeks ago I used OpenDNS. I've never really trusted the Verizon DNS infrastructure. When it works, it's fine. When it doesn't work, they will never admit it is their problem. Instead, you will be instructed that you need to reload Windows. Those who are having problems, do you use Verizon DNS or someone else? If you are using VZ, what happens with a simple change to OpenDNS or Google DNS?

dw

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to mikev

No significant issues for me last night, compared to the night before. Some slightly higher ping times, but no major issues.

Rain7249

join:2008-12-12
Potomac, MD

1 edit
reply to mikev

I'm having some terrible issues in the Potomac area. Pings are considerably too high and I'm only getting about 1-5Mbit/s upload to any internet servers (Speedtests, remote FTP, ect); I'm on the 35/35 plan. I'm getting a normal download speed though: ~43Mbit/s.

This has been occurring for the past few days now; it is very annoying. I can't do anything that is upload intensive in the slightest. I've rebooted the router (custom pfSense box, not the crappy Actiontec) a few times for the heck of it, nothing has helped.'

Is anyone else still having problems? Has anyone reported it?

Edit: Just reset the ONT (pulled power & battery). Nothing changed.

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA

er... got my days confused... never mind.

Saw big issues Friday evening (worst after 8:00p), but my smokeping ran out after 11p Friday and I didn't get it restarted until this morning.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mikev

There's a DNS benchmark utility that will examine the speed of lookups and time-to-reach (ping times).. I think it's called "DNSBench" maybe? Your computer can only display content as fast as DNS can find IPs for the hostnames.. If you happen to be using a cruddy DNS server, you can have 1,000,000/1,000,000 FiOS service, and it will still suck....

Rain7249

Potomac, MD
reply to mikev

It's getting worse!

Ugghh.

mikev
Premium
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric
reply to mikev

Click for full size
VZ speed test results
Click for full size
smokeping as of 10:24p EST
I'm getting what I should be as far as speed goes (30/5)... my smokeping is showing a little variation in ping times from the norm (69ms), but no packet loss as has plagued me in the past.

Try doing a few traceroutes and see if that might show where the problem lies for you.

dick white
Premium
Annandale, VA
reply to mikev

Seems to be okay here too, again. My smokeping showed some squirrelly behavior yesterday evening from the KS server, and one crazy bounce from the CA server (NY was down), and ping times are reasonable for the distances.

dw

parkwood

@verizon.net
reply to Rain7249

I'm having similar issues since Friday in Bucks County (outside Philadelphia). Have 20/5 service and typically get 25/5 in tests. Recent Speakeasy test results have been 25/.05. Not sure what is causing problems with the upload speed. Have ticket open with Verizon support since Sunday evening.

Rain7249

Potomac, MD

2 edits
reply to mikev

After calling Verizon twice, a tech coming out once to "replace our router", and Verizon calling us a few times today to check if they had fixed it claiming that their technicians see nothing wrong on their end, they are sending a "Network Technician" out to our house this Wednesday to get to the root problem of our slow-as-molasses upload speeds.

Verizon has been perfect for the 5-6 year's we've had it; I'm surprised it is this hard to diagnose and fix problem.

Edit (2-27-13 @ 4:33PM): Verizon Tech just left my house. The "network technician" they sent out turned out to be a standard on-site tech; nothing special. He got on the phone with support and ran through the checklist of things to try, including switching out our 5-year old ONT. Obviously this didn't fix anything, the problem is in there network somewhere. Finally they bumped the ticket up to tier 2 support. Within minutes T2 came back and said that the problem was a faulty "LM card" on their end. They said they would have it fixed within 12 hours. Hopefully they are right!