uniqs
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

4 edits

nonymous (banned) to ProbablyDrew

to ProbablyDrew

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase 01/31/13

May be time to think of getting a new router. The 50 may be pushing the routers limits and if you use any QOS or other routing features may not get the full speed.
Just did a little googling seems to confirm the WAN throughput will not do 50. Time for a new router. What I have read I may have misinterpreted just googled your router and throughput.
I have the older version of the router and it is rock solid just at the lower speed package. Also do not fully use QOS etc. as no real need with my use. If i had to really do QOS even at 25 I might think of a new router also. The firmware can not make up for the hardware. With today's speed faster hardware is needed. I am talking WLAN not LAN. Also if you are heavily into say a media server, transfering large files between computers etc. even the LAN falls short of gig speeds available now.
ProbablyDrew
join:2012-12-31

ProbablyDrew

Yeah I figured that would be the case. It doesn't surprise me that the wan/lan ports can't keep up after looking at the throughput review on smallnetbuilder.com
However I'm surprised that it would suddenly just start dropping connection to the internet randomly when not even pushing high speeds.

In any event after wasting many hours I caved and ordered an ASUS RT-N66U which should be able to keep up just fine based on reviews. I would have gotten the ASUS RT-AC66U but decided against it since it has no working version of tomato, costs $35 more, and I don't see myself owning any 802.11ac devices in the next couple years. Maybe if a Nexus phone is released with it but I don't see that kind of throughput making any difference on a phone in the near future.