Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to jamesonnorth

Re: Frontier stops upgrades!

Well, I live in a rural area, and have been stuck with 3 Mbps DSL for awhile. Then my son tells me his download speeds tonight are more than twice as fast as they used to be. Surprise! I checked the modem page and we're now set to 8 Mbps, without even asking!

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

Some area are getting upgrades even now, but it's future upgrades I'm unsure of. Perhaps since these upgrades I've heard about for my area are so soon, I'll still see them. I hope so.

Congratulations on your increased speeds! Are you actually getting 8mbps real downloads (over 800KB/s) or are you maxing out around 6.5-6.8? My lines are *set* for 8MB, but they don't get close to achieving that speed because of overhead and line loss. Maybe something to do with the DSLAMs maxing out. I'm not sure.

In some areas, customers are artificially limited to 3mb packages because of a lack of backhaul. If Frontier has recently upgraded the lines feeding your remote or CO, that's the explanation for the speed increase. This is almost certainly the case if you're paying for the old Max package or maybe the Simply Max package and someone in provisioning maxed the line.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2472459013.png

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to PDXPLT

PDXPLT - If you're seeing those speeds you're not very rural. You are lucky because you are very close to the remote.

jamesonnorth - I have not heard anything to confirm what you have been told by the technician. I wonder if they are talking about your area only. But then again, the response I received about upgrades to our area, an area that is native Frontier, does not appear to be positive. As I have mentioned before the statement "oh they left us with a mess" is a standard saying when one telco takes over a portion from another carrier. They are obligated to make improvements to the areas they took over, so they may just want to stop where they are or slow down the required improvements. I think Frontier is beginning to realize that they bit off more than they can handle. Additionally if true it may only be in your area and the technician may not have the full story.

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

said by Hank:

PDXPLT - If you're seeing those speeds you're not very rural. You are lucky because you are very close to the remote.

I dunno about that. We're over five miles from the CO. But we're lucky enough to be less than a 1/2 mile from the remote; some of the folks it serves are another 5 miles away.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Our CO is approx. 10 miles down the road, but I can actually see the remote box from our upstairs bedroom.

That said, the MUX is stuffed. REALLY stuffed. When I talked to the techs before Christmas I was told that upgrades should be happening now. The speed tonight is just terrible even though we have fiber optic to the box-I don't think Frontier appreciated just how hungry our area was for internet access. Right now I can't open a lot of sites because things just time out due to a choked, busy pipe.

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to Hank

Hopefully they are realizing they're in deeper than they initially thought and will adjust their plan accordingly.

I heard this second hand, so I can't confirm the exact wording from the tech. It would not surprise me if they will be downsizing upgrades and speed expansions, because they can't possibly have much money left for all this. If you're out of money, you either increase rates or limit services. When their main competitors offer speeds of at least twice what they can offer in some areas, they can't increase prices and hope to remain even remotely relevant.

Frontier can't really do much without running more fiber, so I'll be interested to see what the next few years hold for Frontier customers.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2472459013.png