Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

phxuser

join:2010-03-16
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase 01/31/13

The WRT54g was one of the best routers that Linksys ever built. Had one for years running 3rd party firmware. However, as has been mentioned with the speeds now being offered with Premier and Ultimate its day has passed.

If you don't want to upgrade your router at this time you could downgrade to Preferred and it should be able to handle it. You would also save a few bucks every month.

thedunlap

join:2005-01-31
Gainesville, FL

I had a gigabit dorm connection that could realistically do about 250mbps back in 2006 (when hardwired direct) and my WRT54G would stumble and fail to deliver anything above 3 megabytes/second or 24 megabits/second.

I should also mention that this was WAN to LAN performance. I was not using wireless.

mattybaby

join:2003-05-14
Phoenix, AZ
reply to phxuser

I am running an old WRT54GS with the Teaman mod of the Tomato firmware »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_%28···mparison. I would upgrade to a Netgear WNR3500L V1 for around $30 which supports the Shibby Tomato firmware and Gigabit ports, but I am on the preferred 31/6 plan so the router is not the bottleneck.

During off peak hours, my sb5101u peaked at 34 Megabits down and 8 up before Cox's speed upgrade. After the upgrade the downstream was the same, but the peak up was 12.

I purchased a used DPC3010 on ebay for $34. I noticed peak upsteams of 16 megabits (then dropping to 6) and the same 34 megabits down. Since it is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, the 8 channels down and 3 up maintain the high speeds during peak hours (vs dropping down to 6 megabits down). I would never get this high speeds during the evenings without the DOCSIS 3.0 modem »speedtest.net/result/2507307296.png