share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

So can comcast restrict access to NBC?

If comcast wanted to make NBC exclusive to only the subscribers of it's service [like Dish did with blockbuster, verizon with Redbox], would that be allowable?

Though I'd think they'd miss out on a lot of money by doing that.
Also, that makes them owners of USA and Syfy?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

eco
Premium
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

Simple answer: no. FCC rules prevent it.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Hmm, I wonder how much money Comcast would fork out to change the rules?
As they purchased the ok for the NBC purchase anyhow.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to eco

I thought those rules were lifted, thought I read a headline on this site.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to eco

said by eco:

Simple answer: no. FCC rules prevent it.

correct answers yes

comcast now owns nbc there are 2 options for carrying channel nbc on cable that comcast can do they can use must carry rules to require any other cable company to provide it or they can elect to charge a fee say 3 dollars for your local nbc channel

comcast owns the content the fcc give ota broadcast stations great leeway in how they use that content heck in some markets

»chronicle.augusta.com/news/busin···-station

they already took away the channel from dishnetwork briefly

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Snakeoil

Will they do that? In other words, will they remove NBC from the air and only provide it to their customers? Possible but since Comcast doesn't serve the whole US (yet), wouldn't that be limiting the ROI on NBC content? As one example, if that were to happen, the NFL would pull Sunday Night Football from NBC. It's in the NFL's interest (and their advertisers) to make sure games with a solo time slot are viewable by as many as possible.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

If comcast wanted to make NBC exclusive to only the subscribers of it's service [like Dish did with blockbuster, verizon with Redbox], would that be allowable?

Though I'd think they'd miss out on a lot of money by doing that.
Also, that makes them owners of USA and Syfy?

Other than Sunday night football, not much i watch on NBC.
--
Despises any post with strings.

anon guy

@charter.com
reply to rradina

said by rradina:

Will they do that? In other words, will they remove NBC from the air and only provide it to their customers? Possible but since Comcast doesn't serve the whole US (yet), wouldn't that be limiting the ROI on NBC content? As one example, if that were to happen, the NFL would pull Sunday Night Football from NBC. It's in the NFL's interest (and their advertisers) to make sure games with a solo time slot are viewable by as many as possible.

Firstly Comcast already owns a lot of cable networks. For example Golf Channel. I have it on Charter even though Comcast owns it. So turning NBC into a cable channel won't mean it won't be on other cable systems.

As far a SNF, well this is years away. NBC's contract may be over by then. Even if not how many people will be using OTA for it to matter? The NFL doesn't have an issue with ESPN having MNF or NFL Network having 13 games a year. 12% of all NFL games are already on either ESPN or NFL Network.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to eco

also the NHL, USOC and NFL will pull the games if it goes comcast only,

That is going past NFL ST that is out of market games.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to anon guy

said by anon guy :

said by rradina:

Firstly Comcast already owns a lot of cable networks. For example Golf Channel. I have it on Charter even though Comcast owns it. So turning NBC into a cable channel won't mean it won't be on other cable systems.

As far a SNF, well this is years away. NBC's contract may be over by then. Even if not how many people will be using OTA for it to matter? The NFL doesn't have an issue with ESPN having MNF or NFL Network having 13 games a year. 12% of all NFL games are already on either ESPN or NFL Network.

The ESPN and NFL network games are mirrored to local OTA channels in the teams local DMA's I heard that is why NBC sports channel did not get TNF as they did not want to let the games be on OTA tv.

anon guy

@charter.com

SNF is not going to stop Comcast from turning NBC into a cable channel if they so desire and as I said any issue with SNF are several years away. Not to mention SNF is streamed over the internet so even if you didn't have cable you'd still could watch SNF.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to anon guy

Comment to which I responded:

I interpreted that comment to mean NBC content would only be on Comcast cable systems. (i.e. DirecTV and cable subscribers cannot get Dish-only content, can they?)

I didn't comment on whether or not it's allowable. I simply argued how limiting that would be regarding the ROI on NBC content and existing contracts that assume NBC reaches a larger audience.

ESPN is available on all cable and satellite networks and so is the NFL channel. That's apples and oranges regarding the original comment.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Snakeoil

Yes and No is the correct answer.

Yes if it is a network owned station. No if it is an affiliate. Local stations are typically not owned by the network. So in the NYC market for example Comcast might be able to deny WNBC to a satellite carrier but they could not deny access to say the Hartford CT affiliate station.

As for the building in NYC, My guess is it will remain the GE Building. Because good luck getting NYC residents to call it otherwise.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports