how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nevermore v2

join:2013-02-12
Arcadia, CA

Slow Download Speed Issue

My thing with internet has been odd. Of course I have been on the forums before but I have misplaced my old account so here I am with an new one. Anyway, awhile back, I had this issue with my net being slow. After poking around and continuously calling TWC, I found out it was a server issue effecting roughly 100+ people in my area. Eventually that was fixed, (After I bought an new router, with TWC guy dropping by to replace my jurassic modem. I was on to it because of very low signal and drops.) So since then everything has been alright.

But I have had this lingering issue with my download speed. It is rather hard to explain so I will do the best I can.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2505077804.png

That is my speedtest. As you can see it's actually very decent. I don't complain about it anymore. But the issue comes in when I'm attempting to download a file. Let's say roughly 80 MBs. Usually with the speed I have, it should take no longer then 30 seconds give or take. The time for me to download such a file, takes me currently up to 12+ Minutes.

That isn't usually how slow it is. I been testing since 6:00 PM Pacific (LA) and as far as I can see my Download Speed when I download a file is 80+ kbps. I tested by downloading a file from Sendspace, as well as some other music file places.

I don't know what is going on but I have had this problem on and off for awhile and I cannot figure out the reason. My signal levels on my modem is perfectly fine, I watch streams a lot, and I play online often with no lag issues, but sometimes my downloading (downloading a file) is no where close to where it should be, and sometimes it would be perfectly as it should. I don't know what to do. Am I over-reacting or is something off? My download for stuff should roughly be 1.3 mb. (I seen this before, it is more or less the highest it can go for me.) So is it because of the time? Or should I call up my ISP (but I honestly don't want to.)

P.S. In the afternoon, roughly 3-4 or so, I downloaded a patch for Diablo 3. 1.0.7 Patch, I was able to download it within 5 minutes, probably less I didn't pay attention. (It is a huge patch.)

kozmonov

join:2013-01-16
Brooklyn, NY

I think Time Warner has a Peering issue. I get consistently bad download speeds between 12 noon and 12 midnight. Speedtests are consistently good but any single stream during those times do not get more then 500kbps... I live in Brooklyn, btw.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

"I think Time Warner has a Peering issue. I get consistently bad download speeds between 12 noon and 12 midnight. Speedtests are consistently good but any single stream during those times do not get more then 500kbps... I live in Brooklyn, btw."

Single stream?
Have some traces we could look at?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MrGadget

@rr.com
reply to Nevermore v2

Me too! I get down speeds of 13.7 and up of 1.78 very consistently, but I am paying for the Turbo "Pro" speeds. Spent 2 hours online with Time Warner and they are of no use.
I am using a Zoom 5341J DOCSIS 3 modem.

kozmonov

join:2013-01-16
Brooklyn, NY
reply to hobgoblin

I mean any single source of packets. Bit Torrent traffic and Speedtest both run at full speed but nearly everything else is severely hobbled. Hulu, Vimeo, Youtube, most HTTP downloads will not download faster then 300-500k between 12pm and 12am.

I am not really sure whats up with the speed tests performing so well. I guess I thought it had something to do with simultaneous udp and tcp "streams". Either way from where Im sitting it seems that Time Warner is aggressively shaping traffic during those hours for single sources of traffic.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to Nevermore v2

Lol. "Some services work JUST FINE but others don't!"

Sometimes it's the server limiting traffic because it's their hot download times. I've heard complaints from all carriers, and yet other people have no issues with any of it.

sticks435

join:2004-05-25
Kansas City, MO
reply to Nevermore v2

yep, I notice that too. Unless it is a speedtest or steam, I almost never get above 1Mbps during the day.