spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

[iPhone] iPhone photos taking up iCloud space

I know that the iPhone is now (sort of) designed to be used free of computer.
I believe one of the advantages of a periodic sync with iTunes is to off load photos from Camera Roll onto the computer, where they can get optimized (shrunk) for the phone and sent back to the phone, thus freeing up space.
If one selects iCloud backup (and never does an iTunes sync), what do they do about the size issue? If the photos never get shrunken, the images can easily take up all of their available space. I've had a few people call when they said they're iCloud is almost full. I told them to do the iTunes sync, but my question is...if you wanted to be PC free...how do you manage photos?
Thanks!
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7

If iCloud is almost full, one can buy more iCloud space, just as one would add an external HD to a Mac for more space. One can also do some house-cleaning to better utilize existing space. It is a matter of choices.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I know, but that's not the point. Once the photos are optimized they'll be tons of space. I want to know if it's possible to do that without a computer, since the iDevice is designed to be used with the need for a computer.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Here is what I found:
»support.apple.com/kb/HT4 ··· le=en_US

Does Photo Stream use my iCloud storage?

No. Photos uploaded to My Photo Stream or Shared Photo Streams do not count against your iCloud storage. Does Photo Stream use my iCloud storage?

No. Photos uploaded to My Photo Stream or Shared Photo Streams do not count against your iCloud storage.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to haroldo

Mod

to haroldo
I'm pretty sure that is the point -- you are supposed to buy more. Why else would Apple have set it up in the first place? I'm sure it wasn't to give away something for free.

Still, to answer your main point, when you sync with Itunes the photos are not just optimized. They are saved (archived in original resolution) and then a copy put back on the iPhone which is optimized for viewing on an iPhone. So for this to happen in iCloud you would still need the increased storage for the originals. I don't sync photos with iTunes as I don't want them to be messed with.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Thanks
So do you have large iCloud storage?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

No -- Apple has gotten enough from me when I have been buying my devices and their share of the store when buying apps.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to Liberty

MVM

to Liberty
But, backups to iCloud do contain your pictures from Camera Roll. So, if one does not enable/use Photo Stream your Camera Roll will eat up lots of space if the pictures aren't moved.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Merak75:

...So, if one does not enable/use Photo Stream your Camera Roll will eat up lots of space if the pictures aren't moved.

If you do set up Photo Stream, what happens to Camera Roll on iCloud? (assuming you never sync to iTunes/iPhoto)
Thanks!

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

1 edit

Merak75

MVM

Still gets backed up.
Remember, PhotoStream (I believe) has a limit on how many photos are up there.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

thanks

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

Limits (looks generous)
»support.apple.com/kb/HT4858

haroldo
USA

haroldo

So, I guess, to summarize, we're really not in a Post-PC world, quite yet...unless you want to pay for extra space. Not sure if this is part of some master plan to get people to buy storage, or just an unintended (yet, conveniently, profitable) consequence.
cwvallier
join:2009-06-26
Turlock, CA

cwvallier

Ok, I am going to highjack this thread with a Photostream question of my own. If I enable photostream on my iphone, will it stream photos to ALL devices associated with my itunes i.d. (another iphone and two ipad minis), or will it only stream to the photostream folder on my p.c.? Or, is there a way to decide for myself where the photos stream to?

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Rainier, WA

maximus_808

Premium Member

It will go to all devices you have photo stream enabled on with that i.d.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

GuruGuy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Slightly off topic, but iCloud/Photo Stream related.

You used to be able to log into iCloud and click your name at the top right corner. A box opened where you could change your language, time zone, etc. There was an advanced option that you clicked and you could then "purge" all photo stream pics. That option is no longer there for me. How does one now purge all photo stream pics from iCloud?

Edit: To clarify that this is through the web interface for iCloud.