uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

GTA getting new area codes 437 and 365

Toronto will have 416, 647 and 437.
The 905 will have...er 905, 289 and 365.

They go active March 25.

»www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02···nes.html

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Is there any rhyme or reason to the codes, specifically, why when doling out new area codes those in charge cannot make them closer to the original? Is it because they're shared with the US, and many are spoken for already?
--
~ Project Hope ~

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by EUS:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the codes, specifically, why when doling out new area codes those in charge cannot make them closer to the original? Is it because they're shared with the US, and many are spoken for already?

Yes.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

That's one possibility, the other is that if the codes are too close to one another (say 416 and 426 for example) the chances of a misdial are much higher than if they are like 416 - 647.

NefCanuck

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to donoreo
Nothing frustrates me more than the CRTC's unwillingness to consider area code splits where appropriate.

I understand that 416 needs to be overlaid, fine, but 905 covers such a massive area that you could easily split it into 2 or 3 along geographic lines. Ditto with 613.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
They were going to split 905 three ways when they did the original 289 overlay. One code for Hamilton/Niagara, one code for Halton/Peel and another for York/Durham. Problem was that they ran out of time for implementation and were forced into the overlay as a last-minute thing.

But yeah, they won't overlay any more. The costs associated with it are far greater. Most people wouldn't notice, but when you're reprinting all of your business cards, stationary and whatever else it can get expensive when you're doing a split every 5-15 years, with long and protracted fights over who gets to keep the area code. For areas that already do ten digit dialing there's nothing new to learn and an additional code makes the most sense.

As for what codes get selected, CNAC pre-assigns codes long before they're actually implemented. 905/289/365's fourth area code has already been assigned - 742. They also pre-assigned Toronto's fourth code but I can't remember what it is. For some reason I want to say it starts with 9. Both will be needed in about 15 years or so. All other Canadian area codes already have their relief codes pre-assigned, too.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to corster
said by corster:

Nothing frustrates me more than the CRTC's unwillingness to consider area code splits where appropriate.

Splits are very disruptive to people who have their phone numbers forcibly changed, and it creates disruptions for databases *everywhere* that have increasingly stale data.

Overlays solve both problems.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to donoreo
By yumpin yiminy!!! That's 60 MILLION possible phone numbers. What earthly reason could there be for that many phone numbers in the GTA?

It's hard enough keeping 4 area codes straight in my mind as it is.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
In the case of 905/289/soon-to-be-365, you need to assign at least one NXX to each individual rate centre for each individual ILEC/CLEC. A few dozen rate centres, a few dozen different CLECs who want to serve the rate centres and you get the idea. 289 now even has Bell Canada telephone numbers assigned to it in the GTA, and the area code is nearly full due to the way the NXXes are assigned.

Toronto is different. It's all one massive rate centre. You only assign NXXes as needed for Toronto and that's it. 647 still has quite a bit of room, but I suppose the CRTC sees fit to implement their own third area code at the exact same time so Toronto does not feel inferior for the next five years or so until it's actually needed.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Gone:

In the case of 905/289/soon-to-be-365, you need to assign at least one NXX to each individual rate centre for each individual ILEC/CLEC. A few dozen rate centres, a few dozen different CLECs who want to serve the rate centres and you get the idea. 289 now even has Bell Canada telephone numbers assigned to it in the GTA, and the area code is nearly full due to the way the NXXes are assigned.

Toronto is different. It's all one massive rate centre. You only assign NXXes as needed for Toronto and that's it. 647 still has quite a bit of room, but I suppose the CRTC sees fit to implement their own third area code at the exact same time so Toronto does not feel inferior for the next five years or so until it's actually needed.

Or...the CRTC wants to piss off born and raised Torontonians? They still hate getting anything other than a 416 number
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

By yumpin yiminy!!! That's 60 MILLION possible phone numbers. What earthly reason could there be for that many phone numbers in the GTA?

Well, closer to 45 million or so, you lose 12 million right away because no number starts with a 0 or 1, plus another 3 million or so reserved exchanges, like 911, 411, etc.

Anyone know what the relief area code is for 519/226? For edit note, 519/226 will have exhausted all exhanges within 46 months from today.

Further, ever wonder why the original code only had a 1 or 0 as middle number?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to donoreo
I was among the very early adopters (not by choice) of 647 in early 2001 when I switched to Rogers Wireless... It was a pain in the ass for quite some time for people to understand that it was a local number...

And it pissed me off to no end when people were able to get 416 numbers for years after (yes i know they are recycled) but when I signed up Rogers said that they had no 416 available for a long time...

What I probably should have done is try every day to see if there was one available.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by HiVolt:

I was among the very early adopters (not by choice) of 647 in early 2001 when I switched to Rogers Wireless... It was a pain in the ass for quite some time for people to understand that it was a local number...

How stupid could those people be? It was EVERYWHERE that Toronto was getting a second area code.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by donoreo:

How stupid could those people be? It was EVERYWHERE that Toronto was getting a second area code.

Same thing happened here. Some people have different priorities in their lives than to know NPA planning, I guess.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Anyone know what the relief area code is for 519/226? For edit note, 519/226 will have exhausted all exhanges within 46 months from today.

I don't think they have decided on a number yet, they have just started the process as of a few months ago.

CRTC's original statement regarding the need for new numbers in this area and out West: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2012/r121129.htm

If you are bored silly the actual answer might be buried here, though from a quick look they don't have a number yet:
»www.cnac.ca/npa_codes/relief/226···-519.htm

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Well, closer to 45 million or so, you lose 12 million right away because no number starts with a 0 or 1, plus another 3 million or so reserved exchanges, like 911, 411, etc.

You also lose all numbers that have 9 as a middle digit as well as all of the triple digit numbers and numbers with the same last two or same first two digits.

said by J E F F:

Further, ever wonder why the original code only had a 1 or 0 as middle number?

Back in the days of mechanical switching a 0 or 1 as the middle digit indicated it was an area code, and NXXes at the time had any number except 0 or 1 as the middle number.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

I don't think they have decided on a number yet, they have just started the process as of a few months ago.

The number is typically decided well before relief planning starts, sometimes even years before. Often times it's just that (usually) no public announcements are made about it.

If 519/226 is due for another overlay, you can bet CNAC already has a number assigned for it, as well as a another one for after that.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

Same thing happened here. Some people have different priorities in their lives than to know NPA planning, I guess.

It was on TV, in newspapers, etc. I cannot understand how they did not hear about it. My mom even knew!
--

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

No problem here I ignore everything that isn't 705.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

It was on TV, in newspapers, etc. I cannot understand how they did not hear about it. My mom even knew!

What people see and what people believe to be relevant to their life and retain after seeing it are two entirely different things.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

That'll work for a year or two until you start seeing landlines with 249. Then you're up shit creek.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

What people see and what people believe to be relevant to their life and retain after seeing it are two entirely different things.

You mean like most threads on here?
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by donoreo:

You mean like most threads on here?

What are we talking about again?

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

That'll work for a year or two until you start seeing landlines with 249. Then you're up shit creek.

Then I'll ignore EVERYTHING that isn't programmed into my phones.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by peterboro:

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

Then I'll ignore EVERYTHING that isn't programmed into my phones.

Do you still have a hard time dialing all 10 digits too? When I was young in Port Hope I only had to dial 5 (5-1234 for 885-1234).
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by donoreo:

Do you still have a hard time dialing all 10 digits too? When I was young in Port Hope I only had to dial 5 (5-1234 for 885-1234).

Yes, so I don't and it plays a reminder and still puts the call through.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

Does it still? I thought they were disabling that a long time ago.
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Gone
It would be nice if they offered up a preview but no doubt it would cause more confusion than clarity as planning was adjusted to keep up with actual demand.

They have lots of time to add one for 519/226, by their own estimates the current system should be good to the year 2017. The only reason they have started the process is because the exhaustion date has slipped ahead by ten months based on data taken this last summer.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

Does it still? I thought they were disabling that a long time ago.

Not yet.