share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Guspaz

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

Fair enough (I was going by their headquarters connection), but the majority of your problems seem to be your own connection, since you have what appears to be basically 43ms + of first-hop latency. And the extra latency to OVH seems to be entirely a factor of Bell Canada refusing to peer at TorIX, forcing the connection to take a detour. Bell's arrogance and intransigence is turning the ~550km trip from Montreal to Toronto into a 2200km trip. Bell's self-absorbed peering policies are adding 1700 kilometers to the journey.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

1 edit
said by Guspaz:

Fair enough (I was going by their headquarters connection), but the majority of your problems seem to be your own connection, since you have what appears to be basically 43ms + of first-hop latency. And the extra latency to OVH seems to be entirely a factor of Bell Canada refusing to peer at TorIX, forcing the connection to take a detour. Bell's arrogance and intransigence is turning the ~550km trip from Montreal to Toronto into a 2200km trip. Bell's self-absorbed peering policies are adding 1700 kilometers to the journey.

Well there's always some dick head that doesn't want to play fair in the sand pit.

At $39 its quite tempting to get one. I might just have to cancel my adsl connection (keeping one for backup purposes) and get that server.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by analog andy:

Well there's always some dick head that doesn't want to play fair in the sand pit.

It really is. Every other major incumbent ISP in Ontario/Quebec and many more eastern ones peer at TorIX. Rogers, Videotron, Cogeco, Bell Aliant, Eastlink, Shaw... Even some American incumbents peer, like Frontier and AT&T... Admittedly, some like AT&T and Videotron are no longer actively peering despite their connection (Videotron to TekSavvy goes through Limelight), although for this specific case Videotron peers directly with OVH.

said by analog andy:

At $39 its quite tempting to get one. I might just have to cancel my adsl connection (keeping one for backup purposes) and get that server.

You missed the better deal, where they had Atom servers (which still had huge bandwidth and hard drives) in Montreal selling for 119 euros per year. That's what DSL_Ricer's dad got.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by Guspaz:

said by analog andy:

It really is. Every other major incumbent ISP in Ontario/Quebec and many more eastern ones peer at TorIX. Rogers, Videotron, Cogeco, Bell Aliant, Eastlink, Shaw... Even some American incumbents peer, like Frontier and AT&T... Admittedly, some like AT&T and Videotron are no longer actively peering despite their connection (Videotron to TekSavvy goes through Limelight), although for this specific case Videotron peers directly with OVH.

said by analog andy:

You missed the better deal, where they had Atom servers (which still had huge bandwidth and hard drives) in Montreal selling for 119 euros per year. That's what DSL_Ricer's dad got.

That's the one I got too... Was too tempting!

pc8888

join:2011-05-31
estonia
I am new to this.

I am interested in the $39 box. I read that some of you are using vwmare and I am thinking about running ESXi 5.1 on it.

Does it come with ESXi when I place the order?
If not, is there any link out there that show me how to do it?