uniqs
share rss forum feed

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to donoreo

Re: GTA getting new area codes 437 and 365

Nothing frustrates me more than the CRTC's unwillingness to consider area code splits where appropriate.

I understand that 416 needs to be overlaid, fine, but 905 covers such a massive area that you could easily split it into 2 or 3 along geographic lines. Ditto with 613.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
They were going to split 905 three ways when they did the original 289 overlay. One code for Hamilton/Niagara, one code for Halton/Peel and another for York/Durham. Problem was that they ran out of time for implementation and were forced into the overlay as a last-minute thing.

But yeah, they won't overlay any more. The costs associated with it are far greater. Most people wouldn't notice, but when you're reprinting all of your business cards, stationary and whatever else it can get expensive when you're doing a split every 5-15 years, with long and protracted fights over who gets to keep the area code. For areas that already do ten digit dialing there's nothing new to learn and an additional code makes the most sense.

As for what codes get selected, CNAC pre-assigns codes long before they're actually implemented. 905/289/365's fourth area code has already been assigned - 742. They also pre-assigned Toronto's fourth code but I can't remember what it is. For some reason I want to say it starts with 9. Both will be needed in about 15 years or so. All other Canadian area codes already have their relief codes pre-assigned, too.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to corster
said by corster:

Nothing frustrates me more than the CRTC's unwillingness to consider area code splits where appropriate.

Splits are very disruptive to people who have their phone numbers forcibly changed, and it creates disruptions for databases *everywhere* that have increasingly stale data.

Overlays solve both problems.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to corster
And 705