spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ogdensburg
join:2006-12-12
Ogdensburg, NY

ogdensburg

ipad mini Verizon tethering with $20 prepaid data plan

I'm going to buy an iPad min Verizon and use the $20/month (for 1gb) PREPAID data plan, I also want use the tethering function to share this data with my laptop . Can anybody here confirm if it works?

I called Verizon and they said the tethering (personal hot spot) function is only available if you pay the $30 (for 2gb) or higher prepaid plan.

Thanks very much if someone who's using ipad verison 3g can help me on that.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

I can tell you my ipad 3 only has the $20 prepaid option and the hotspot works fine on it.
ogdensburg
Ogdensburg, NY

ogdensburg

Thanks for your answer. So iPad mini withe the $20 prepaid plan "should" have this hotspot too. If anyone can confirm this, it will be great.

Yes I know I can buy ipad mini and try it. If it doesn't has that personal hotspot feature, I can return it, but I'm don't want abuse apple's return policy. So I want do the homework here first before I buy.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

1gb of dtata for an ipad and hotspotting itsnt gonna last long, just a heads up
ogdensburg
Ogdensburg, NY

ogdensburg

I use e-mail and web browsing only when I'm on road. 1GB is enough for me in this case. My concern is the if the "Personal Hotspot" feature is included in the $20 1GB data ipad prepaid plan.
ogdensburg

ogdensburg

Let me answer my question myself. YES the iPad mini Verizon has personal hotspot function enabled even on the cheapest $20/month prepaid plan. It seems only support wireless N client only.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ogdensburg

Premium Member

to ogdensburg
Tethering by USB cable seems to be the best way. It will automatically pick up and continue working whenever you connect, and it charges the iPad.

If you use wifi, you need to go back to the tethering screen each time you want to reconnect. I've also found that some PC wifi clients won't work when WPA is enabled.

Haven't tried tethering over Bluetooth yet.