share rss forum feed

DDubya
Premium
join:2009-10-25
Nanaimo, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

[BC] tracert

Ive traced my ping back to a server in New York state. The path that it takes seems to be the long way around. My path to the server goes from Nanaimo to Vancouver to Edmonton then on to Winnipeg,Montreal,then into New York state.Along the way I have lots of packet loss. At my starting point the packet loss is 100% and in two other spots it's at 15% and 25%. I've traced my signal a few times over the years and most of the time it jumps into the states right out of Vancouver and goes to Seattle then on to New York. When it takes this route I notice a lot more lag. Why would the route change? Can somthing be done about the lag?

Thanks DW

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
The first hop is usually 100% loss, that seems to be normal, the rest of it, is definately a concern.

The path doesn't seem too far from normal.

When my traffic from Calgary to Edmonton goes through both Seattle and Halifax, that is the long way around

The 15% and 25% routers might be your issue. Where are they? Who's are they?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to DDubya
said by DDubya:

Why would the route change? Can somthing be done about the lag?

Thanks DW

Internet routing is done via the BGP routing protocol. It can change for a huge variety of reasons, so it would take a seminar to explain why. Basically, BGP has determined that this is the shortest route to the prefix based on the current advertisement from the destination network.

A likely reason for a change could been that the destination network, or Shaw, changed a transit or peering agreement or point. Or new connections were added, and BGP believes these connections result in a shorter path. Or connection were removed. Or the networks in the middle changed. Etc. etc. etc. etc.

The first hop 100% packet loss in normal on the Shaw CMTS, it doesn't mean packet loss. Internet nodes DO NOT have to respond to ICMP echo messages (which is what traceroute uses). Lots of internet routers de-prioritize and may drop these.

You can try using a tool that does a TCP traceroute, that can sometimes be more accurate. I've never found a good tool for that myself... (not that I've looked very hard).

DDubya
Premium
join:2009-10-25
Nanaimo, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to kevinds
Ok I've identified the routers that have the packet loss on the way back to New York. Its starts right in BC with Shaw.

vc.shawcable.net 66.163.77.185 10% PL

ed.shawcable.net 66.163.76.21 10% PL

pnj1.choopa.net 108.61.79.86 100% PL