Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

PVC Pipe lube?

I have some difficult PVC drain assemblies to put together.
These involve the 3" main and multiple 1-1/2 drains and 2" vents that are in a tight location and spaced quite close together.

It is too easy to not get pipes pushed tight into a fitting when testing and fitting the assembly and even harder to get it out to finally glue it.

I would like to find something to lube the fittings with so that I can get pipes bottomed out in the fittings and twist them around for alignment while I am getting this made up and then the connections need to be able to be cleaned out so the primer and PVC glue work correctly.

I have concerns about using engine oil or grease. I don't know if they will clean off.
I am thinking about using cooking oil which might be ok if I wash with soap afterwards to clean the fittings.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Discussion?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 edit

Edited:NM, misunderstood the issue

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to ttiiggy

The last thing you should be doing is contaminating the surfaces with any kind of oil/lubricant. The glue will act as a lubricant at final assembly. Dry fit everything, and use a magic marker to help realign mating sections and fixtures at final assembly. To make the dry fit a little easier, use some fine sand paper or "crocus cloth" to make sure there are no burrs on edges or "scrape" shavings on mating surfaces.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to ttiiggy

What about lubricant sold in the electrical department to pull wires?
That stuff is made to go in PVC conduit and dry off.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by alkizmo:

What about lubricant sold in the electrical department to pull wires?
That stuff is made to go in PVC conduit and dry off.

Unfortunately, is still a contaminated for the gluing process. That doesn't matter inside of PVC conduit, but certainly matters when assembling piping.

Jim
Premium
join:2003-02-10
reply to ttiiggy

Dish soap.
--

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

1 recommendation

Whoa! As normal for a forum - lots of answers and suggestions.

Not to be a spoil sport or downplay anyone's feedback, but for each 'suggestion' could some 'supporting' info also be supplied. Sure wouldn't want the OP to try soap, wax, KY jelly or other stuff and then find he could not get a good glue joint and he also couldn't get the 'lube stuff' off either - that would not be good.

If it were me, I'd ask a pro - just pick up the phone and ask. Or, call the maker of PVC pipe and ask. Some questions you just need to ask the manufacture or supplier!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ttiiggy

A fairly good explanation of "dry fitting PVC" problems:
»theplumbingsupplyco.wordpress.co···ections/

Actually, a whole bunch of explanations:
»www.google.com/search?client=saf···oe=UTF-8

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to ttiiggy

said by ttiiggy:

These involve the 3" main and multiple 1-1/2 drains and 2" vents that are in a tight location and spaced quite close together.

You've got to use PVC that is clean & dry--no lubricant!

With existing setups sometimes there's just not enough flex in the pipes to be able to bend & fit them. A couple times I've used Unions to make an otherwise difficult connection, and for drains a rubber coupling/sleeve (with hose clamps) can help you (the pipes mate face-to-face and you slip the sleeve you've slid onto one of them over the gap and secure with hose clamps).

If you call Ask This Old House and get Richard to come-over there, by all means let us know--he'd figure the best way to do it!

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

I use liquid Tide or similar, in the rare case I need pvc to slide. Wash liberally and dry before gluing

Also works well as a threadcutting lube for pvc

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)