how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

enrolk

join:2002-04-23
Murrells Inlet, SC

Two users can't actively browse at the same time

If wife's browser is opening pages I have to wait until the Modem lights stop blinking, then I can get a turn. The same with her.

I get a message "server not found" or something similar and the same with hers.
Only started a month or so ago.

Is see Dropped Packets on the router log when this starts happening.

Modem is "Cisco DPC 2100 TWC Lease.
Router is "Dlink EBR2310

Only thing out of the ordinary is that the Modem shut itself completely off-ALL lights off including power- then it started itself up again and did it a second time.

It is plugged into a APC unit, but there was never an occurrence of outages.

Any ideas?
--
Satellite gone. Now Cable
Motorola Surfboard

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

That's a router issue. Try a factory reset of your router, redo your wireless and see if that fixes it. If not, you may need to replace the router.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to enrolk

Sounds like your router isn't doing its job. Replace the router and see if the issue continues.

enrolk

Murrells Inlet, SC

Thanks.
I think it's time to join the wireless age anyway.
The D'link ebr2310 has a pretty low rating on the list of router review scale, at least the one I read, and it's one year warranty is up too. How do they ever build stuff that automatically craps out at a predetermined time anyway? Amazing.

I need some new toys to play with any way.
--
Motorola Surfboard

enrolk

Murrells Inlet, SC
reply to Fleeced

I took your advise and got a "Wireless Router", Belkin N600DB and I'll set it up Sunday. Looks like a good one. If I remember I'll come back to review it. Thanks. I knew that money fixes everything.
--
Motorola Surfboard

enrolk

Murrells Inlet, SC

I did it and it was so easy a Cave Man can do it.
I say this because it's in my Man cave.
Built-in installation software is great and it updated is firmware automatically.
Always come to DSL Reports for the best advice. Thanks.
--
Motorola Surfboard

JustBurnt

@rr.com

Make sure you secure the wireless connection and make the password long(24+ characters) using WPA2, you enter the password into each device once so there is no need to "remember" it, just write it down somewhere in case you need it.

enrolk

Murrells Inlet, SC

It came with a card that you store under the base and it has an 8 digit password but I was going to add to it just in case and bring it up to 24. Thanks for the suggestion of "Writing it down". I believe in pencil and paper, even in this day of digital storage.

I have a photographic memory, but sometimes it takes a month to a year to get the film back.
--
Motorola Surfboard

Fleeced

reply to enrolk

If you want a "secure" password, complexity > Length. Using Upper AND lower case, numbers and symbols is always better than just a "long password".

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

said by Fleeced:

If you want a "secure" password, complexity > Length. Using Upper AND lower case, numbers and symbols is always better than just a "long password".

There have been some rather compelling arguments against that line of thought (relatively) recently:

(my favorite)
»xkcd.com/936/

and another good, but much more long-winded article:
»www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Fleeced

reply to enrolk

Eh, semantics. In other words, don't use a short lowercase only password. Either use a long one or mix it up.