All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

the weather channel local on the 8s hd, when?

When will comcast FINALLY roll out the IS2 so that I can watch local on the 8s in hd instead of having to switch every 10 minutes between hd and sd the weather channel?
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner

Am I the only one having deja vu or does this topic seem familiar to anyone else?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

this hasn't been asked lately

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to mikedz4

to mikedz4
Do you have Weatherscan on your system? It's basically a continuous Weather on the 8s. Of course it's in SD.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by Streetlight:

Do you have Weatherscan on your system? It's basically a continuous Weather on the 8s. Of course it's in SD.

Generally, if Weatherscan is available, it's on the Preferred or higher tiers. It's typically not in Starter.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight

You're right! It doesn't show up on my DTA which has sorta' Starter + or something. They actually should put it on DTAs as it would be useful to keep an eye on potential bad weather, particularly in the evening when the WC has shows about 10 year old bad weather and seems not to show Weather on the 8s.
Expand your moderator at work

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Streetlight

Premium Member

to Streetlight

Re: the weather channel local on the 8s hd, when?

said by Streetlight:

For me, Weatherscan shows the weather readings for a city that is on the coast, a city that has quite different weather and readings than the inland location of the local Comcast franchise.

Weatherscan is all but useless for me.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to mikedz4

to mikedz4
when you stop asking. they are watching you.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

just give me an answer. Are we ever going to see that or does comcast prefer to remove weather channel hd and use it for another channel?
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

1 edit

NightOwl2

Charter, in my area, doesn't even have the Weather channel in HD. I get my updated information online, much faster.

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

Spiderman865 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

just give me an answer. Are we ever going to see that or does comcast prefer to remove weather channel hd and use it for another channel?

Why don't you call or email Comcast and The Weather Channel if you need an answer that bad.

mountlaurel
@comcast.net

mountlaurel

Anon

Knowing how comcast is so slow in adding anything (channels or software) I would say we will see HD Local on the 8's in the year channel 2050 if we are lucky.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod to Spiderman865

to Spiderman865
This x1000.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

No, I forsee the Weather Channel going the way of the TV Guide channel just to stay on the air down the line. You can get better information online or with a smart phone.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by beachintech:

No, I forsee the Weather Channel going the way of the TV Guide channel just to stay on the air down the line. You can get better information online or with a smart phone.

Yes, I agree. Except for a few hours in the morning, it seems everytime I try tuning in now during the day or evening, there seems to be some kind of non-forecast documentary program on, with some of the latest ones seeming to have only a minor relationship to weather (like "Lifeguard!").

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Yea and reef wranglers. It's a shame it is going this way. Comcast needs to come up with another weather channel for the people who don't have the internet or smart phones. There are alot of older people who don't even own a computer. They rely on stations like the weather channel for their information.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Here in the Chicago area, a local broadcast station recently started carrying WeatherNation TV, and Comcast does have it. It even has a bottom bar like TWC, but includes a little radar. There is even an occasional full-screen setup. Being broadcast, it's more general Chicago and not completely local, but it's better than nothing.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Yea and reef wranglers. It's a shame it is going this way. Comcast needs to come up with another weather channel for the people who don't have the internet or smart phones. There are alot of older people who don't even own a computer. They rely on stations like the weather channel for their information.

those people dont NEED it in HD like you. they are happy with SD.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
Doesn't your box guide have a "Local Weather" menu?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

these older people have no idea about menus. They just turn on the tv and watch it. Some of them just use dtas. I wasn't talking about HD. I was talking about a weather channel that actually IS about the weather 24/7 like weather plus was not the weather documentary channel we have now.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Older people tend to go outside or watch the local news if they want the local weather...

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

these older people have no idea about menus. They just turn on the tv and watch it. Some of them just use dtas. I wasn't talking about HD. I was talking about a weather channel that actually IS about the weather 24/7 like weather plus was not the weather documentary channel we have now.

weatherscan.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by gar187er:

said by mikedz4:

weatherscan.

As mentioned, Weatherscan is typically in the Preferred package, which is more $$$, and not available on DTA's, which are generally restricted to Starter, even if you have Preferred on regular boxes.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

Last time i checked HD isnt free either. people can watch their local channels if need be, thats what we use to have to do before TWC came along.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Older people tend to go outside or watch the local news if they want the local weather...

Mike's definition of older people - anyone over 18...

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

people in the 60s 70s and 80s. Quite a few don't have a computer and the weather changes between newscasts or perhaps they have a meeting during the newscast. Also some don't have digital preferred which is required to get weatherscan in some areas.
Of course comcast and nbc are ONLY worried about money and they wrongly ASSUME everyone has a computer or access to the internet these days.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

If there is something important happening, every local news station covers it, as well as local radio stations. "Old people" can find the weather just fine without TWC or internet.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
I just watch the Weather Channel in SD, even on an HDTV. Time Warner Cable at my Grandma's house in Maine has had Local on the 8's ever since I upgraded her to HD back in 2011.

I used to watch the Weather Channel like an all day soap opera but it jumped the shark when they put that garbage like Lifeguard or Coast Guard Alaska that they have played the same rerun for the 500th time this month.

I watch Fox News if the Weather Channel is not airing live weather coverage. I like it when they take a chance of drizzle and a light breeze and make it look like Joplin is going to get hit by a massive Tornado (which unfortunately did happen) but TWC is good at blowing things out of proportion. I also don't like the fact that they are naming Winter Storms. The National Weather Service doesn't either.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

yeah that is stupid. But I am glad the NWS is changing their criteria for warnings, watches and advisories.
But alot of people don't want to watch someone dredge the gulf of mexico (not a real show). The weather channel should be about WEATHER not shark chasing. If you want a channel about shark chasing make a nbc documntary channel. Restore the weather channel to its roots. Maybe even make it more localized. Like every 10 minutes have an meteorologist or local meteorologist talk about the local weather. Like here it would be an wtov9 meterorologist.