Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

And within a week 3 major incumbents and 1 indie - all parties to those decisions - announce unlimited internet.

Incredible.

Does something bloody stink to high heaven or what?

Mike

Shrug

@videotron.ca

said by dillyhammer:

Situation normal.

Is anyone seriously surprised? If so, they must be new to these forums.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

Looks like we find out next week!

which one am i supposed to read on that link as there seems to be quite a few

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Who wants to lay down some predictions on $/gbps? Maybe we just get Marc to give his estimate and play the over/under?

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

And within a week 3 major incumbents and 1 indie - all parties to those decisions - announce unlimited internet.

Incredible.

Mike

What Indie?

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
reply to TSI Marc

How does this work?

Will there be different $/gbps prices for different ISPs? Different for DSL/Cable? Will some ISPs pay more for interconnection than others

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

said by Cloneman:

How does this work?

Will there be different $/gbps prices for different ISPs? Different for DSL/Cable? Will some ISPs pay more for interconnection than others

It will likely end up being specific to each incumbent. It could be any number of things... The flat rate part could be affected... The CBB is almost certainly going to go down. Could be retroactive stuff in there too.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON

said by TSI Marc:

said by Cloneman:

How does this work?

It will likely end up being specific to each incumbent. It could be any number of things... The flat rate part could be affected... The CBB is almost certainly going to go down. Could be retroactive stuff in there too.

Retroactive! HUGE CASH REBATES TO ALL CABLE CUSTOMERS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1!!ONE!

Or I suppose you could, you know, build some margin and reinvest in the network, but that sounds like corporate fatcaterry if I ever heard it. I want my $0.57.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Could be retroactive stuff in there too.

Dunno. The last time prices came down, the CRTC Chair stated you (CNOC) didn't ask for retroactive bill-back so you don't get it. He stated if you asked for it, then you would have.

Don't know if you guys requested this. If not... then I wouldn't count on it. If you get it w/o demanding it... that would really be surprising.

All based on the last time this came up

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to The Mongoose

Haha.. Who knows what will happen... We sheltered you guys as much as humanly possible though in the last year. I took all the math and through it out the window and pretty much went with my gut on what I thought the most I could go without completely destroying the trust you guys had in us. The rates would all have been $5-$10/mth higher otherwise.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

simsin0

join:2008-01-06

And thats why we are Happy Customers!
Great service Marc!

Now to see the actual numbers!

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Incredible.

Mike

Other than Bhell who else just announce unlimited? Or am I reading your message wrong?

EDIT: Wow totally missed what happened in the last 24 hrs with Rogers and Videotron also offering unlimited deals. This is nuts.

Can't wait for the decision! Is it going to be an early week bombshell or late week blockbuster?

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

Looks like we find out next week!

I like how they take a week to announce it, and not just give us a specific day =.=

said by dillyhammer:

Incredible.

Mike

What? Who? There's Rogers and Bell...

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

I can't make heads or tails of any of this...

I thought it was already confirmed that we were (at least us in the GTA using rogers on TekSavvy) getting the upload speed upgrades..

-boggle-

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to The Mongoose

said by The Mongoose:

Retroactive! HUGE CASH REBATES TO ALL CABLE CUSTOMERS

More like retroactive recovering profits ISPs have cut themselves short of from setting their retail rates with some degree of speculation about the CBB outcome to avoid massive churn rate in the meantime.

So unless the CRTC cuts surprisingly deeply into CBB rate, I do not expect much headroom for a retail refund. It is still possible that retail rates will increase if the final rates turn out to be higher than what ISPs guessed they might be when they set their interim rates.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to Optional

said by Optional:

I can't make heads or tails of any of this...

I thought it was already confirmed that we were (at least us in the GTA using rogers on TekSavvy) getting the upload speed upgrades..

-boggle-

This a decision regarding the rates that all the incumbents charge to the TPIAs for capacity. This affects pricing and the ability to offer high or unlimited data caps.

Speeds arean issue of Non-Aggregated vs Aggregated POIs which was already decided, if a TPIA is not on APOI, it doesn't get new speeds until the transition over.

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to TSI Marc

Will this decision determine if start.ca can offer unlimited bandwidth?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Perma:

Will this decision determine if start.ca can offer unlimited bandwidth?

According to rocca's posts, yes the decision will affect the ability of Start can offer unlimited and higher data caps. I believe he has mentioned they are atm eating costs on the higher tiers.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

not only will it enable them to start offering unlimited if the new pricing is good, but he's mentioned it will allow them to likely offer the fastest speeds on Rogers network.

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by The Mongoose:

Retroactive! HUGE CASH REBATES TO ALL CABLE CUSTOMERS

More like retroactive recovering profits ISPs have cut themselves short of from setting their retail rates with some degree of speculation about the CBB outcome to avoid massive churn rate in the meantime.

So unless the CRTC cuts surprisingly deeply into CBB rate, I do not expect much headroom for a retail refund. It is still possible that retail rates will increase if the final rates turn out to be higher than what ISPs guessed they might be when they set their interim rates.

I was making the same point. Hence the allcaps and the demand for $0.57.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

What? Who? There's Rogers and Bell...

Videotron. TSI.

Mike

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to jmck

wow, 150/10 would be awesome at a decent price. hopefully it all works out

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

So let's say the prices are in teks favour, can we see the new speeds in less than two-three months?

Perma

join:2011-12-20

They still need to get on aggregated before they offer the higher upload speeds.

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON

There are speeds they couldn't offer because it wouldn't be economical under the old (current) scheme.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

Few things;

1) Doesn't anyone else feel like the big 3 already know the outcome somehow? And they know it will not be in their favour and so as a result have ALL released "unlimited" packages within the past 2 weeks....Very interesting timing...

2) Will TSI be posting new potential plans within 30 days or so of the ruling? Hopefully they can share what they can offer and for how much BEFORE the full network wide switch to aggreg (so before they can actually offer it I guess).

3) Could this not immediately affect current plans in terms of caps at least, but keeping the current speeds? Ex: 300GB going to 500GB and unlimited being cheaper, but all at the current speeds on non-aggreg?

4) Any guesses on the day next week? My money is on next Thursday
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting