spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cifuddh

join:2013-02-16

problem setting up access point

I have a belkin n750 which I was using as an access point with my rev D actiontec acting as the main router. Recently I was sent a replacement actiontec which is a rev I (yay).

My problem is I am trying to set up my belkin as an access point again. I follow the instruction which becomes pretty easy considering the belkin has an access point mode. To make a long story short I get everything set up the way I want, reboot the routers, I log into the access point router fine then about 30 seconds later everything seems to lock up on the access point, I can no longer log into it. If I power cycle the access point I can once again log into it.

everything works for another 30 seconds before it fails again.

I can only assume that its the actiontec that doesn't like the belkin and maybe its kicking out or doing something strange to it..

So what am I missing?
Thank you in advance!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
Unlikely that the Actiontec would be causing the Belkin to lock up. As far as the Actiontec is concerned, the Belkin is just another device on the LAN.

What is the IP address of the Belkin?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

cifuddh

Belkin is 192.168.1.4

I have the actiontec set as the dhcp device giving out ip addresses starting at 192.168.1.10

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cifuddh
said by cifuddh:

I have a belkin n750 which I was using as an access point with my rev D actiontec acting as the main router. Recently I was sent a replacement actiontec which is a rev I (yay).

My problem is I am trying to set up my belkin as an access point again. I follow the instruction which becomes pretty easy considering the belkin has an access point mode. To make a long story short I get everything set up the way I want, reboot the routers, I log into the access point router fine then about 30 seconds later everything seems to lock up on the access point, I can no longer log into it. If I power cycle the access point I can once again log into it.

everything works for another 30 seconds before it fails again.

I can only assume that its the actiontec that doesn't like the belkin and maybe its kicking out or doing something strange to it..

So what am I missing?
Thank you in advance!

Sounds like an IP conflict to me...I could be wrong.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to cifuddh
Disable wireless on your laptop, set the IP address of the LAN port to 192.168.1.5 mask 255.255.255.0 and plug it directly to the Belkin. Can you now login to it? If so then there is nothing wrong with it and you likely have another device somewhere on your network with an identical IP address as the AP.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to cifuddh
said by cifuddh:

Belkin is 192.168.1.4

I have the actiontec set as the dhcp device giving out ip addresses starting at 192.168.1.10

Make sure your actiontec is still set this way. I've had mine lose this setting (the starting DHCP assignment number) after a simple reboot for no apparent reason. That's why my APs are .253 and .254 as opposed to a low number - if my actiontec loses this setting, there's still no chance of a conflict with other devices.

cifuddh

reply to cifuddh
OK so after many frustrating days trying to figure this out I decided to plug my old actiontec router rev D. I followed all the steps same as before and my access point works perfectly.

I guess this narrows it down to 3 possibilities

1. My rev I is somehow defective.
2. There is some setting in the rev I that is not on the rev D which needs to be adjusted
3. User error: my dumb ass missed something. But to be quite honest setting up an access point should be a piece of cake. I have also spent many hours trying to figure out the problem so I don't think I missed anything.

/Shrug

Unless there is some revelation I'm just putting this access point up on the third floor and buying myself another N router, so I can set that up as another access point so I can take advantage of N speeds down on the first floor.

Anyone chime in on what I may have missed?

Bozo

@verizon.net
I worked with Belkin support on this router for two months after returning the first one and they never could get port forwarding to work on it. I finally ask them to return my money. Which they did after I produced the receipt for it. I went out and bought a Netgear which I had configured in 30 minutes. I believe their staff is under qualified.