how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

timpatti

join:2013-02-16
Liverpool, NY

Using westell 327 (DSL) for a TWC wireless router

Had Verizon DSL, now have Time Warner. The TWC modem has one RJ45 for the internet to my computer. I have a Westell 327w1506 left over from the conversion and would like to use it's wireless capabilities.
Can I go from the TWC modem into the Westell, out of the Westell to my computer...and get a wireless signal from the Westell?
Thanks
tim

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
Why dont you just try?

I think it would work.

Hob

timpatti

join:2013-02-16
Liverpool, NY
I did and there is a IP conflict and no internet through put to my computer or wireless output. There is a post on making this modem a router with Comcast that I will try, but the wireless set up is not included.

I probably will end up buying a wireless router but would like to give this idea a go.

tim

gkloepfer
Premium
join:2012-07-21
Austin, TX
Looking at the manual, you'd want to set the option to make Ethernet 1 the WAN port in the WAN configuration options (this will allow you to connect your cable modem to Ethernet 1, and connect your computers and stuff to the other Ethernet ports, or use wireless), set the WAN Ethernet Configuration to Protocol: Routed, and set the DHCP Client to Enable. That should make the router work just like a regular wireless router and disable DSL.

Also make sure that before you plug-in the router to the cable modem, configure the router first and make sure that you power cycle the cable modem.

I found a couple of links that essentially say the same thing about configuring this, but they were a little vague.

Whatever you do, don't enable PPPoE for the WAN interface when using the cable modem. That won't work.

It's actually nice that they have a router that allows re-use like this. I don't have one, but it sounded like an interesting idea so I looked it up.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to timpatti
Just buy a wifi router? My father got a tp-link off amazon for $22 shipped, to replace a aging linksys wrt54g and has never been so satisfied over signal strength and reliability before.

I've seen people reuse the fios routers, but not a DSL router.

anno

@verizon.net
quote:
Just buy a wifi router? My father got a tp-link off amazon for $22 shipped, to replace a aging linksys wrt54g and has never been so satisfied over signal strength and reliability before.

Why should they buy a new one?

Why can't they use what they have?

quote:
I've seen people reuse the fios routers, but not a DSL router.

But it has a RJ-45 port that can be reconfigured to act as the WAN port...

AhhhPoop

@rr.com
reply to gkloepfer
Thanks to all for the efforts. But the my effort all goes to hell when the password written down 5 years ago does not get you in. The factory default of admin/password does not help. Off to Best Buy next week.

Tim

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to anno
There is a post in 2008 that a user took 4 hours to configure the westell 327 to work with his cable modem. Since then it has had new firmware. So monkey around with (in tech) very old equipment or buy something new which has improved night and day over the 327.