PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Found in New York

Click for full size

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

Is the sole purpose of the AC unit to support the other device? And what is the other device?

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to PSWired

Is the range hood keeping the ac cool?

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

1 recommendation

reply to PSWired

Click for full size
Looks like they are using the hood to exhaust the warm air from the a/c?

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to PSWired

Redneck AC without cutting a hole in the wall.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to PSWired

I've seen an outdoor condenser mounted just indoors next to a permanently sealed door. Bottom of the door was cut out and has mesh. Top of door had another hole cut with 2 steel high velocity fans mounted at the top to exhaust the hot air.

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to PSWired

Very creative condensate collection system, including the circular trap in the drip line... But how far does the door open (hinged as inward opening)?

I would disagree with the redneck attribution... not with pink walls.

dw

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to PSWired

That is some quality workmanship right there.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to PSWired

The question is: Where does the make up air come from? And wouldn't the first air to be sucked out (aside from hot air) be the cold air from the AC as well? Hmmmmm HMMMMMM KAY?!

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA

In a room AC, the uncooled room air is drawn in through the large vent area that is the lower 3/4 of the face of the unit, pulled through the cooling coils inside, and then blown back out into the room through the two side-by-side horizontal vents on the top 1/4 of the unit, with adjustable louvers inside those vents to point the airflow where desired in the room. The back portion of the unit (as we look at it here) is through the window or wall, sealed to separate inside from outside. The waste heat from the room and from the operation of the unit is dissipated through vents, etc. The creator of this absurd setup apparently thinks the range hood will suck out only the waste heat from the rear of the unit while leaving room circulation into and out of the front of the unit unaffected. Doubtful. But what do I know...

dw

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to PSWired

Decoratively, they made the wrong choice. This is a case where they should have gone with the curved glass and stainless kitchen exhaust instead of the straight stainless model. That would have really spiffed up the looks.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to PSWired

For the price and trouble of making all that work, the owner could have bought and installed a used ductless system.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

I've seen an outdoor condenser mounted just indoors next to a permanently sealed door. Bottom of the door was cut out and has mesh. Top of door had another hole cut with 2 steel high velocity fans mounted at the top to exhaust the hot air.

Well, that's one way to make it harder for the copper thieves...

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to PSWired

Looks to me that the unit is trying to blow cold air to the outside. I think they are heating something with the range hood.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PSWired

They should have purchased a portable a/c unit then hooked the ceiling exhaust up to that instead of the range hood. Someone was just bored!
»www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Hea···ications
--
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to PSWired

LOL, always amazing to see how much time people will spend with half assed solutions.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

reply to guhuna

Thanks for fixing the rotation. Posted directly from phone.

The best part is: someone had a real electrician put in all that conduit to support this crazy setup.

Though I'd recommend going for the chinese food instead of the air conditioner, here's where this thing is:

»untappedcities.com/newyork/2011/···en-mall/

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to PSWired

I would have gotten a used double-hung window and built an air-sealed box with the range hood on top. Put the air-conditioner in the window with the rear hanging in the enclosure. Coaxial vent from the unconditioned space with a take-off above the range hood feeding makeup air to the bottom of the enclosure. Problem solved.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

LOL, always amazing to see how much time people will spend with half assed solutions.

You should have spent 25 years in the automotive repair business like I did... You eventually get numb to it.

Expand your moderator at work

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to mattmag

Re: Found in New York

said by mattmag:

said by Thane_Bitter:

You should have spent 25 years in the automotive repair business like I did... You eventually get numb to it.

+1 Have seen many things roll through a door.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Gets even more interesting when the door was still closed.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Also seen going through a wall, falling off a lift, and driving into a 5 foot mechanics pit. Yep..