Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Medical alarm systems

I am going to most likely be installing a medial alarm system for my grandma (such as Lifeline or ADT medical monitoring) and I am wondering if those can be installed in a manner that allows for line seizure. She uses a cable phone through Time Warner cable.

The system is the kind that you push a button on a pendant if you are on the bottom of the bathtub with your hip replacement pulled our or on the kitchen floor. They have the ads that say I've fallen and I can't get up.

I can wire an RJ31X jack easily but most systems I've seen have an input jack for the dial tone and a jack that goes out to the phone. I'm wondering if there is a way to wire this as there are multiple phones in the house so if one is off the hook then the dial tone is useless.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

I can wire an RJ31X jack easily

The whole point of a RJ31X jack is to prevent the situation you describe. If the RJ31X jack is wired correctly it will be in between the NID and all the phone outlets in the house. Therefore the alarm can seize the line regardless whether any phones are off-hook or not.

If the alarm itself has RJ-11 in and out connectors (instead of an RJ31X connector) you can buy an adapter or make one yourself:

RJ31X pins 4+5 go to RJ11 pins 3+4 for the alarm input/telco connector.
RJ31X pins 1+8 go to RJ11 pins 3+4 for the alarm output/home-phones connector.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
reply to IowaCowboy
They have systems now that don't require connection into the phone line and work anywhere. My grandmother has one, althought I couldn't yell you the brand.
--
This Space for Rent...

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC
I've consider a service like you describe. One feature I think is important is to have something like the 'lock box' shown in one commercial. With the lock box it might save the EMT responders from having to break down a door to enter the house. I can only guess that the service provider/company has the code for the lock box and can provide that to the first responders??

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
reply to IowaCowboy
Check with your local fire department. Out here, for a nominal fee,they will install one on your house (there is a fairly large senior population here)
--
This Space for Rent...

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to boaterbob
If the medical monitoring company does not provide a lock box you can purchase lock box at a home improvement store like this one:

»www.lowes.com/Search=key+safes?s···ey+safes

or this

»www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par···Id=PDIO1

I am replacing my front door lock with a Kwikset electronic combination lock. Schlage also makes an electronic combination door lock. Another choice is the Gate House electronic combination door lock at Lowes. It costs $69.95 and stores up to ten codes. It uses Kwikset key blanks if you need additional emergency access keys.

Regardless of what device you use you can give the access code to the key safe or electronic door lock to the emergency medical monitoring company and have them add instructions to open the lock box or electronic lock to the customer profile.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy
You may want to try this service before you commit to a long term contract.

True story: we put a Lifeline in for my 88 year old Mother In Law to give my wife some piece of mind. MIL was a bit hard of hearing, a little confused at times and not at all tech savvy.

Took a lot of repeating to make her understand what the pendant was for.

The service that called over the intercom feature monthly to test system really scared her. She "heard voice OF God" from the other room but could not find anyone.

When she fell and cut open her head, she called my wife and asked is she should push the button?

While it made my wife feel better, we both agreed it was probably more of a pain than a benefit.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to IowaCowboy
You use an RJ31x with a POTS line, she has a cable VOIP.
The alarm would tie into the cable system or use it's own wireless cell.

Most alarm systems can be wired with a point for Medical Button emergency. As long as the monitoring company handles that, which if they do fire and others I see no reasong they can't.

The point being, in most cases you do not need what we called 'the voice of God' feature, just a properly defined point.

Shop for cost of service, cost of device, reputation, and is the panel common on the market or only 1 company specific?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by Jtmo:

You use an RJ31x with a POTS line, she has a cable VOIP.

I have a burglar alarm that uses a phone line at my residence and I have Comcast Digital Voice for phone. The RJ31X is wired between the modem and the house phones. My phone modem is installed in the basement where the telco NID is so I just wired a phone cord the plugs into the modem and goes to the RJ31X and to the house phones from there. Grandma has a similar setup except it is tied into a jack so I scotch locked the VoIP backfeed cord into an unused pair from the jack out to the NID, where it feeds the house phones in case an alarm or medical monitoring system is installed. That way I can just tie in an RJ31X jack at the NID and separate the house phones from the dial tone.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

AlarmGuy

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to IowaCowboy
Most medical monitoring systems are not of the greatest quality and are not designed for line seizure. You may be better off with a traditional alarm system with the addition of wireless panic alarms.

ffblackie
You called 911 for this?
Premium
join:2002-01-13
Knoxville, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
Whatever you decide to do, be sure to check if your local fire department / ambulance provider has access to a Knox Box system. »www.knoxbox.com/

If they do, GET ONE! $200 is a small price to pay to make sure the firefighters and paramedics can get in the house without breaking down a door...
--
Thanks to Darwinism, I'll always have a job... | Proudly serving since 1997