Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada

1 edit

How is TELUS Security Services?

Since Telus has officially increased the rate for its internet plans, and reduced the amount of bandwidth available, I want to fully utilize whatever is being offered to me.

So, how is Telus Security Services? Has anyone ever used it? Scan speed, detection ratio, updates, performance, overall quality of the security software package, etc.
www.telus.com/content/internet/security/)
I am currently running Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 (64bit).

Also, since this is a software provided by an ISP, does it collect data and submit it to the ISP?

Also, while I'm at it, how is PC Health Check?
www.telus.com/content/help/)

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2

I would rather eat glass than use it.

Tornado15550

Canada

Is it really that bad?
Can you name its weaknesses?

Exand

join:2001-10-28
Canada
reply to Tornado15550

If they're still re-branding Zero-Knowledge's antivirus, then no, you're better off getting one of the popular free ones out there like AVG, Avira, Avast, MS Essentials, etc. Terrible detection, too many false positives, poor update cycle, etc. And if you need a firewall, use something like Comodo.

If they've switched to something else, then I don't know. But considering there are quite a few good free personal antivirus and firewall software out there, you're better off going for those than relying on a rebranded piece of software.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to Tornado15550

There are many. Unless the manufacturer decided to radically change their stance, one big weakness is it can't detect or remove the malware that pretends to be an antivirus program. See: »www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r···rus-2013 for information on that family of malware. That link is just the newest version. There are many prior versions of the same virus that were not detected by Telus Security.

Tornado15550

Canada
reply to Tornado15550

Got it! I think I'll stick with Microsoft Security Essentials and crank up Windows Firewall with Advanced Security to maximum levels.
Thanks for the info, guys!

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to Tornado15550

According to the Telus download links, they use

»www.radialpoint.com/corp/en-static-home.html

what some of these ISP combination products do for the long term is to get into the 'home security solutions' that some ISPs are offering.
Big money to be made on people who are not even sure if their computer is plugged in. Plugged into what? Yup. Plugged in. Little lights blinking? Where little lights?

Tornado15550

Canada

Well you know, if the product is decent, I wouldn't mind using it. I've used Shaw Secure before, and it was great.

But the fact is, Shaw used/uses good providers. They initially had F-Secure (when I tried it), and I hear now they've moved to McAfee.

Telus Security Services initially claimed (a little bit less than a year ago) that it uses Trend Micro. However, after updating the software to make it "Windows 8 compatible", all references to Trend Micro are gone from the site. If they use a well known provider (McAfee, Norton, F-Secure, Trend Micro) without constantly changing it, I would give it a shot. The Telus Security page should also be more clear on what company's technology they utilize to make the feature (anti virus, etc) available.

Just linking to RadialPoint's website is not enough.

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

My parents had Shaw Secure. After Shaw switched to McAfee it became a bloated slow disaster. Not to mention that it was malware itself as it wouldn't allow anyone to uninstall the Site Advisor module since it communicated your surfing habits back to McAfee. It pretended to uninstall but on reboot it was still there. Total mess.

Radialpoint I don't trust. The software is too incomplete. On occasion it will interfere with your email connection at random unless they've fixed that glaring bug that's been there for the last few versions.

Tornado15550

Canada

I used McAfee Total Protection until November of last year.
This will help you remove McAfee completely. I made sure to run it every time I uninstalled the software.