uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Mattresses suck

Every mattress that I buy, after sleeping in the same spot for maybe a month, there's a huge indent then in that spot. If I sleep in a different spot, I will role into that indent. It is not level because of the indent, so I can't sleep partially on the indent or I will fall in.

I've tried 4 different mattresses, priced from $400 to $1700. No difference.

These aren't "pillow top" ones either. Those dent in a couple days of sleeping.

Yes I am using proper frame/box springs. These get covered under warranty but the stores get pissed at me from dealing with me so much.

Solutions?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Pro tip: flip the mattress.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

Have you tried memory foam yet?
--

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

Waterbed?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to fartness

Futon or waterbed if you want to avoid that.

If you do go the futon route, make sure it's nice and thick.

If you go the waterbed route, make sure you keep knifes off of it. I think the newer beds allow for sex.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Unpossible.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

Have you tried memory foam yet?

The reviews seem to say the same things happen to them too. I've been through this with memory foam pillows too. After a few years, they aren't very good. I replace mine about every 2-3 years.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to fartness

Platform bed frame with just a memory foam topper.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Are mattresses, even expensive ones, just poorly made? Or are they made this way on purpose so I buy a new one every 4 years?

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

3 recommendations

reply to fartness

Loose weight?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

I'm 170.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to fartness

is your mattress one sided? the past 8-10 years the manufacturers have made them extra thick but only one sided which has made them indent like you have seen. I worked at a furniture store all through college during this "transformation" and this made me realize i will never buy a one sided mattress. You need a double sided mattress and it needs to be flipped AND rotated at LEAST once a month for the first year to get the best wear out of it.

Since it sounds like you are sleeping alone, you need to sleep in different spots if you want to maximize things...left side, center, right side, etc

what is the mattress and box spring sitting on? a headboard and footboard with side rails or an actual frame? Is there an actual center support going across the middle WITH a foot on it?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to fartness

I've had my mattress for 6 years now and it's still as firm as when I first got it. I paid good money for it though, and I'm not a heavy guy.

Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to fartness

Re: Mattresses suck

said by fartness:

said by Juggernaut:

Unpossible.

Crappy mattress but then all major manufacturers are doing this. Original Mattress Factory still makes mattresses to flip. Or get a sleep number bed.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

what is the mattress and box spring sitting on? a headboard and footboard with side rails or an actual frame? Is there an actual center support going across the middle WITH a foot on it?

Yes, it has a center support that touches the floor. I've even tried it with the box spring on the floor for ultimate support and it doesn't make a difference. I think it's just the material that is being used which is the issue, not the springs or the insides of the mattresses.

I remember a similar explanation when I would have them replaced under warranty. Even this latest one, I slept in different spots for the first few months, which seemed to help, but now it's back to being junk. Divide the mattress into 5 spots for example (cut into 1/5ths). If I sleep in spot 1, spot 1 becomes soft eventually and isn't as firm as the 4 other spots. Sleep in all evenly, and the whole mattress isn't as firm as it was. Only takes a few months to exhibit these issues in a "better" mattress.

I've seen a few places offer double sided mattresses, but with this mattress still under "warranty" (ie. they'll probably tell me to piss off this time), I don't want to spend $700 on something that shouldn't be having this issue.

I have a mattress from a different place in a different room that felt firmer when I bought it, but it has the same issue.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

3 recommendations

reply to fartness

i slept on the same spring mattress for 15 years, replacing it 2 years ago. The new bed still sleeps good as new.

side note: I'm not spending $1700 on a mattress, unless it makes itself everyday
--
| map your city |

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to fartness

I'm not questioning your honesty but I think this needs to be said for consideration. The story you tell and the experience you describe simply is not consistent with the the vast majority of the literally hundreds of millions people that sleep on quality mattresses in the United States.

My weight varies between 225 and 235. I sleep on a XL twin so that means I pretty much sleep exactly in the same place. I've never had a problem with a mattress, even economy quality ones and I've never had a problem with quality memory foam toppers that are at least 4 lb. density. The topper does tend to wear out after about three or four years.

I would suggest you get at least a double or perhaps a queen size bed. Since you say you have had problems with memory foam toppers and giving you the benefit of the doubt as far as assuming you understand the differences in quality and density of memory foam I suggest that instead of memory foam you get a latex topper.

Here is a description from one particular web site that I provide just for reference and not as an endorsement of the company but as a reliable informative link.

»www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/la···pper.htm

Latex toppers and memory foam toppers, (quality ones) have pros and cons when compared to each other. One pro for the Latex topper is support and durability while still providing cushion. Resilient cushioning.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fartness

A latex foam mattress is one of the most resistant to rutting. Doesn't spring leaks or need any kind of maintenance like an air or water bed might either. Just keep it in a cover so it stays clean and the latex will last ages. The resiliency of latex foam is from air bubbles in it(closed cell), unlike urethane or memory foam, which gets resiliency from a skeletal structure of bursted bubbles (open cell). Air doesn't get tired, urethane structure does.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
reply to fartness

I have no idea if this will help, but it is very comfortable for me. I have a mattress, and I have no frame on it. I put the boxspring(mattress on top of course) directly on my carpet and sleep on it. Very little noise and more comfortable than a frame, but it is a little low. Try it and see if it helps you
--
No Victim=No Crime

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Solutions?

why not have a bed made out of hay like the good old days

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to fartness

Just rotate and flip the mattress on a regular basis. Also rotate the box spring on a less frequent basis. Sheesh.

I bet you there was a tag on the mattress telling you to do that.

moseby
Ool For Me
Premium
join:2002-11-18
Somers, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to fartness

»www.sleepnumber.com/

Had one for 10 years, adjust as you want, firm one night soft another night.
--
Ool Has The Speed I Need today

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to fartness

I been thinking about this for awhile now. My bed was pretty expensive. ($700+) Its one of those pillow top ones, and very firm since my back is all messed up.
After about a year I started noticing an indentation where I normally lay...same on the better half's side.
I don't know if its the pillow top or mattress itself. Doesn't seem to be the pillow thing though.

Really like the pillow top, but now I see the drawback. You cant flip the mattress! And switching around the head/feet of course doesn't help either.

I'm with you on this one fartness...they might make it sound like they got the science down on mattress's, but I call BS on it.

This isn't the first time I have gone through this with an expensive mattress.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to fartness

Get a Sleep Number mattress. »www.sleepnumber.com/

I've had back problems for years. Slept on a Sleep Number by chance when I stayed in a hotel that had them. After one night I said I HAD to get one, and I did.

Best thing I've ever done for my back.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to Robotics

quote:
You cant flip the mattress!
Original Mattress Factory does the pillow top on both sides so they can be flipped for most of their mattresses.

»www.originalmattress.com/
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Just rotate and flip the mattress on a regular basis. Also rotate the box spring on a less frequent basis. Sheesh.

I bet you there was a tag on the mattress telling you to do that.

He said he doesn't have a mattress that's flippable.

As for the OP, I'd say take a look at the Sleep Number bed as others have suggested, might be good.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

He can certainly rotate the mattress and the box spring.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to fartness

I just have a piece of plywood between my mattress and boxspring and I'm a bigger guy and I have no dips in my mattress.

plywood also helps for support I had rolling into the middle of the bed.