share rss forum feed

mitchell

join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Time Warner Cable

Dryer vent exhausts up thru roof?

My sister is looking at a condo and the dryer is on a closet from the master bedroom in an interior room so the vent is up thru the wall into the attic and then thru the roof..... is this okay, I mean code wise and sensable?

I can see having to pull the dryer to check for fur at the bottom of the pipe...

Your thoughts...Please!!!
If I get back in there I'll try to get a photo

Lloyd

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Definitely OK code wise if it is installed correctly. I have several houses that have roof dryer exhaust. It tends to build up more lint in the duct but the humid air exhausts in an area that is not as likely to damage the structure. Potentially a little harder to service if the duct needs to be cleaned.

mitchell

join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

Thanks, I kinda believed that its was 'to code' as this county is very strict and this is a condo development. so they all are built the same...

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to mitchell

It will require more cleaning, and the condo association may do it or not. The lint collects more due to gravity vs. a horizontal pipe. A townhome here had tons of lint at the roof vent, they must have spent a fortune on energy to dry clothes.

Found while the roofer was installing a new roof, along with a bathroom vented into the attic

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

That brings up an interesting question -- Whose responsibility is it to maintain the vent duct? It seems like the duct belongs to the condo owner but the association may not allow individual owners access to the roof which is owned by the association.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to mitchell

I think a Linteater is just the ticket for cleaning that vent. I had one at my old house, used it for the dryer vent and my pellet stove vent. It worked great.

»www.linteater.com/

My new house only has like 2' of dryer vent as the dryer is right up against the outside wall, so I ended up giving the Linteater to my father.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...