Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

[Apps] Parental control apps to limit app access with web admin?

So long story short my younger brother has been given a hand-me-down LG Ally primarily so he has phone access (cheaper than buying a phone is the way I see it). Downside is the fact it is Android.

#1 concern is limiting access to apps. I have been looking around to see if there is a way to do this but have had no luck. Most seem to foist a brand new launcher on you. I'd like to just keep the existing launcher but have a popup or dialog of some sort pop up if he attempts to access a blocked app. And secondly remote access to change settings would be nice but it is not necessary.

Any ideas? Sure something has to exist out there.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Re: [Apps] Parental control apps to limit app access with web ad

What's the problem? Unless he has a CC, he can't buy apps, right?

Am I missing a detail here?

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
said by Juggernaut:

What's the problem? Unless he has a CC, he can't buy apps, right?

Am I missing a detail here?

Lots of free apps on the marketplace. In fact even without any service on the phone yet he has already loaded down with more apps than I care to count. Doesn't take much.

We've pretty much already set up a procedure where he gets good grades in school or loses access to his computer and gaming devices. Along the same lines he needs restricted access to the phone. Ideally limit it to just the messaging, phone, and gmail apps.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
Free apps are just that, and I don't see a problem.

Use FDN's to limit calls, text etc.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
said by Juggernaut:

Free apps are just that, and I don't see a problem.

Use FDN's to limit calls, text etc.

There isn't a problem, he's just trying to restrict access on the phone, as he doesn't want his brother downloading everything he possibly can from the app store. There are a ton of apps out there that are quasi-malicious, and of questionable content.

Not sure why this is confusing.

OP, I don't have an answer for you, but would be interested in any solution that you're able to come up with.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to Vchat20
I use App Lock »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···xvY2siXQ.. (there's a free version, as well as a paid one) to keep my son out of apps that he's not supposed to be using, including the Play store, but you can also set the play store up with a PIN to buy apps, and I think includes free apps, but I don't remember for certain.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
The pin in app store is only for purchases as is evidenced by my 6 yr old downloading and installing [u]every[/u] app with the word lightsaber in it.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Sandman
Premium
Strafford, MO
Heh, thanks for the clarification.

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to Sandman
Thanks! That actually looks like exactly what I want. Doesn't force a new app launcher on you? Will it do a whitelist mode where I can just allow the phone, messaging, and gmail apps and everything else auto-blocks even if something new is added?

I'll have to try it out next time I get access to his phone.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Vchat20
If I were him, I would root, nandroid and install all my stuff. If I had a problem, I would nandroid back.
--

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
said by AVD:

If I were him, I would root, nandroid and install all my stuff. If I had a problem, I would nandroid back.

How does that help the OP? I don't get it...

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH
said by Koil:

said by AVD:

It doesn't but that's what the kid could do.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

said by AVD:

I'm sorry, by "him" I meant the kid.
--

Sandman
Premium
Strafford, MO
reply to Vchat20
said by Vchat20:

Thanks! That actually looks like exactly what I want. Doesn't force a new app launcher on you? Will it do a whitelist mode where I can just allow the phone, messaging, and gmail apps and everything else auto-blocks even if something new is added?

I'll have to try it out next time I get access to his phone.

It does not force a new launcher on you, but it does not have a whitelist mode. You have to tell it what to lock, and what to leave unlocked.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!