treeman
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA

treeman to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

Re: Square footage/Family size

We live in Massanutten outside of the Burg. Stop by anytime, just give a heads up so we are here. The house 3400 sqf.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

3400 sq ft?!?! Wow, you must like cleaning! Yeah, I'd say it's a bit big for two people.
robhouston
join:2001-09-15
Bluffton, SC

robhouston

Bob----get real. I know taxes are lower in PA than here in NJ, but difference in property taxes alone between NJ and FL would pay for an army of house cleaners.......
Expand your moderator at work
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Bob4

to Bob4

Re: Square footage/Family size

said by Bob4:

3400 sq ft?!?! Wow, you must like cleaning! Yeah, I'd say it's a bit big for two people.

I don't know if raw square footage numbers tell the entire story. It really probably varies based on layout. Our house is a little under 3900 sf on two levels, but it doesn't feel that big.

The downstairs where we hang out most of the time is only 1900 sf. The rest of the square footage is upstairs in 5 bedrooms and 3 baths. So it's really not that much space when it comes down to actual usage.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
said by 67845017:

said by Bob4:

I don't know if raw square footage numbers tell the entire story. It really probably varies based on layout. Our house is a little under 3900 sf on two levels, but it doesn't feel that big. The downstairs where we hang out most of the time is only 1900 sf. The rest of the square footage is upstairs in 5 bedrooms and 3 baths. So it's really not that much space when it comes down to actual usage.

+1

I moved from an 1100 sq ft house, to a 1450 sq ft one, this summer...

The new one, being a far smarter layout, feels WAY bigger then just the numbers would show. It's about usable space; and the way you live.

As for downsizing/rightsizing, there's way more to it then just the square footage...

- Does the present house feel like "too much" to keep up?
- Are there economic drivers for getting into something cheaper?
- Would something different actually be cheaper, compared to the mortgage, rates, etc you've got now...

Get's to be complicated fast...

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to treeman

Premium Member

to treeman
See you this weekend then. Been thinking of doing some skiing.. LOL

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to 67845017

MVM

to 67845017
1900 sq ft is larger than a lot of older houses (30+ years)... Only really large older ones and newer houses (McMansion's) are that bit. Heck - 1900 sq ft is 200 sq ft larger than out entire house and I would LOVE to have a couple hundred more sq ft...
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I grew up in a house that was a total of 1700 sf as well, so I certainly know what you mean. But at 1900 for the ground floor in our current house, it just doesn't seem that big. I'm sure if I could go back to my childhood home I'd be able to feel the difference more. But being in this house for so long, I guess I've lost some of the perspective.

At any rate, I wouldn't mind downsizing once the kids are out of the house (that won't be for another 10 or so years). I just don't see the point of paying taxes, utilities and maintenance on space that's not reasonably needed. On the other hand, most of the houses in the court are fairly big and older couples whose kids are out of the house still live in them. So people stay I guess. But in Illinois! I have no idea why.

My parents retired and moved into a townhome almost 20 years ago and are very happy. They don't have to worry about maintenance (even though the association dues are pretty high) and are free to travel all they want. In fact, they're headed of to a Russia, Poland, Lithuania and Latvia trip in a couple of days. They only came back a few months ago from Portugal.

Downsizing does have its advantages.