uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit

[Speed] Chicago speed changes

I've heard several radio ads here in Chicago about the upcoming speed changes. Most seem to refer to what has been discussed here (basically, fixed speed the same as the previous PowerBoost).

One of the ads mentioned that 200Mbit service would be offered. Has anyone heard of that one?

Mode Note: Please report the Blast speed upgrades in this stickied topic ---> »[Speed] Report recent Extreme, Blast or Performance upgrades her

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5
said by andyross:

I've heard several radio ads here in Chicago about the upcoming speed changes. Most seem to refer to what has been discussed here (basically, fixed speed the same as the previous PowerBoost).

One of the ads mentioned that 200Mbit service would be offered. Has anyone heard of that one?

I saw/heard the same thing.
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
reply to andyross
200Mbit, eh? Cool

Could be some version of this: »Comcast Exploring 250 Mbps Service

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to andyross
In the ads that you have heard, was there any mention of dates or time frame?

--Brian

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
I don't think there was an exact date, but it did sound like much would be in March or so. They mentioned their fastest speeds would be doubling, and their most popular speed would increase 60-70%, which matches what's been said here.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

200Mbit, eh? Cool

Could be some version of this: »Comcast Exploring 250 Mbps Service

That link is 3 years old!

I don't know if some of the super-fast speeds mentioned will be DOCSIS, or something like the local Ethernet thing for business.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
Sure it's old, but it could still be relevant. Something that bridges whatever a new Extreme speed is gonna be, now that 105 is where Extreme 50 used to be and is in between the Extreme 305 that is offered on Metro-E? I think having a 250 speed and upping the Metro-E to 500 will be in the pipe.

Who knows? Karl needs to reach out to his sources.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
But, to be honest, outside of a business, who really needs some of these speeds? It's reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit
Could be. But there are those that will pay for those kinds of speeds. I have a friend who did 105 at 200 a month if memory served. He was so popular, he was hated online and his neighbor ganked his feed. When Comcast traced it, they jumped on him. Dude got arrested and was fined 5 grand. After his connection was stable, we had a good laugh at things and loved how good his connection was vs ours.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Why was he arrested? He was paying for his service. Was he running a server or harassing people on line? Just curious.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by YukonHawk:

Why was he arrested? He was paying for his service. Was he running a server or harassing people on line? Just curious.

His neighbor was the one arrested for stealing the feed that he was paying 200 a month for. Caused all kinds of problems connection wise. Took Comcast 5 months to trace it after multiple tech visits.

If I were paying that kind of money, I'd expect Comcast to get down and roll out the red carpet whenever I had a problem.

china crisis

join:2003-05-28

1 recommendation

reply to andyross
Click for full size
T.V. Messege Chicago area.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to Chris 313
Ahhh..okay.. Maybe if I opened my eyes I would have seen that. LOL. I completely agree with you.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to china crisis
said by china crisis:

Nice!!! Enjoy it when it happens!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

Ahhh..okay.. Maybe if I opened my eyes I would have seen that. LOL. I completely agree with you.

So did our whole group. We were cursing the neighbor for being an asshole and screwing with the connection when we were gaming. It got so bad he couldn't host because of drops caused by the neighbor and stealing his feed.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by Chris 313:

said by YukonHawk:

So did our whole group. We were cursing the neighbor for being an asshole and screwing with the connection when we were gaming. It got so bad he couldn't host because of drops caused by the neighbor and stealing his feed.

How exactly was he stealing his feed? I'm honestly curious, because as far as I know there's no way to just split someone's cable then use THEIR provisioning on a different modem. Was the person's WIFI wide open or did the guy hack it and connect that way to steal from it?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by pflog:

said by Chris 313:

said by YukonHawk:

How exactly was he stealing his feed? I'm honestly curious, because as far as I know there's no way to just split someone's cable then use THEIR provisioning on a different modem. Was the person's WIFI wide open or did the guy hack it and connect that way to steal from it?

I wouldn't know. All I was told was that Comcast found his neighbor was stealing his cable. He was hacked as far as his Xbox Live account went, so maybe his connection was hacked in a similar way and that's how his neighbor gained access.

But after Comcast found things, his connection was back to perfect. Should be at that price.

SHoTTa35

@munival.com
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

But, to be honest, outside of a business, who really needs some of these speeds? It's reaching the point of diminishing returns.

For the average grandma that only checks Facebook 2-3 times a week then surely it's a waste. I have 50Mbps now and while I don't find myself needing more (I max out that much on downloads and only then wish it was faster) i still wouldn't mind having even 1Gbps (yes, e-penis lol). Realistically, 100-200Mbps would be the MOST i could ever say i "need."

Few days ago had friends come over and downloading shows from iTunes while was fast still took about 15/20mins (while my other downloads were going from IRC.)

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

His neighbor was the one arrested for stealing the feed that he was paying 200 a month for.

So I'm guessing he was paying someone for an illegal hookup since Comcast doesn't offer such speeds?

The way everything is wireless 100 to 200mbit would be pleasant when the kid is watching Netflix on the iPad and 2 laptops or the PS3 is playing games online.

DanM64

join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross
Need some opinions. I'm currently on a Performance promo at 29.99 a month for another 2 months, then it will go to 54.99 (or something like that) until November. I have standalone internet so my Performance will cost 62.95 after the promo. I tried to upgrade to Blast, but if I do that will cancel my promo early and I'll start paying 72.95 a month right away.

With the upcoming speed changes should I just upgrade to Blast now? 72.95 a month for 50/10 service is well worth ending my promo IMO, if indeed by going to Blast now I really would go to 50/10 for the current 30/6 price.

What should I do?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
You can very easily call Comcast and get put on a Blast promo. I'm paying $29.99 for Blast. Haven't pay their "normal" rate for over 2 years, since I signed up.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross
They're going to announce it "very soon."

»www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s···_comment

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mario02423:

They're going to announce it "very soon."

»www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s···_comment

Is that a legitimate Comcast affiliated Facebook page? I thought they only had one page, the one at facebook.com/xfinity
EDIT - nevermind, looks like it is!

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Yes, it's the Comcast regional page for Illinois and parts of Indiana/Michigan.

Anon Name

@reliableservers.com
reply to andyross
How about ultra tier?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
Probably not because Ultra is (I believe) a discontinued tier.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

If the ads are running and there hasn't been an official announcement from Comcast it is probably a market test

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

1 recommendation

reply to china crisis
Click for full size
said by china crisis:

I got the same message here. I'm on the Blast tier also. This will be a nice upgrade! Here is my first speed test from over 8 years ago after first having HSI available to me. Prior to that I was shotgunning dial-up modems trying to get 56k!

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e
click START to begin
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 258.86Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.48Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

2004-06-30 10:38:23 Speed test @ dslreports.linkline.com 3304/218 kbps
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jagged
said by jagged:

said by andyross:

If the ads are running and there hasn't been an official announcement from Comcast it is probably a market test

I hope not! I hope this is a nationwide rollout! I want my 50mbps here in the SF Bay Area dammit lol!

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to andyross
I heard the ad again, and they said by June they would offer speeds 'over 200 megs'.