DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
reply to trparky

Re: How long will my (your) SSD last?

It doesn't need to last forever, just long enough.

How many people are still using a computer, much less a hard drive from 2001-2003?

Even my extreme technophobe grandmother (Who barley uses a computer at all) shed her 1999 HP win98 machine almost 6 years ago.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

What I'm trying to make with my post, and granted, I am probably preaching to the choir here, is that the fears that TLC and cheaper NAND flash in SSDs is really nothing to worry about.

Most SSDs, even the lowly Samsung 840 Series (non-Pro) is going to last the average consumer, even us geeks, longer than we will ever want to keep that SSD around. Chances are, that SSD will end up in the recycling pile in exchange for a higher capacity SSD long before it's dead.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Note, this is based upon the life of the NAND flash memory itself. This observation does not take into account possible firmware issues that may cause premature SSD death. This is something that can't be predicted.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to DrModem

said by DrModem:

It doesn't need to last forever, just long enough.

How many people are still using a computer, much less a hard drive from 2001-2003?

Even my extreme technophobe grandmother (Who barley uses a computer at all) shed her 1999 HP win98 machine almost 6 years ago.

Pretty sure my current linux box was built around 2003 or so. Same hard drives in it as when it was built.
--
Think Outside the Fox.