Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

iTunes never sees iOS devices over WiFi

Since upgrading to iTunes 11, I don't believe iTunes has ever seen either iPhone or iPad (both fully up to date) over WiFi.
I rebooted Airport Extreme, turned off and on WiFi, etc. to no avail.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Sync over Wifi turned on?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to haroldo

If sync over Wi-Fi is turned on then Sync first with a USB cable then just unplug the device don't eject.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

Since upgrading to iTunes 11, I don't believe iTunes has ever seen either iPhone or iPad (both fully up to date) over WiFi.
I rebooted Airport Extreme, turned off and on WiFi, etc. to no avail.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

I hit this problem with Windows 7 & iTunes all the time. If I do a cold reboot of PC; then start iTunes; then Wifi sync works just fine. But if I shutdown iTunes and restart iTunes later on; the wifi sync won't work until I do the full reboot of PC & restart of iTunes fresh after the reboot. I think it has something to do with re-establishing ports thru the Netgear router when a reboot of PC is done.

But if I never shutdown iTunes after the cold PC reboot, the wifi sync will work for weeks on end.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

haroldo

united state
reply to not quite right

said by donoreo:

Yes
said by not quite right:

If sync over Wi-Fi is turned on then Sync first with a USB cable then just unplug the device don't eject.

As soon as I unplug, it disappears from iTunes/Devices. Both iPad and iPhone react the same when unplugging.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

said by haroldo:

said by donoreo:

Yes
said by not quite right:

As soon as I unplug, it disappears from iTunes/Devices. Both iPad and iPhone react the same when unplugging.

I have the same issue and it has never worked properly. In addition to what you've described, I get random errors when plugging it in via cable saying a sync cannot be established. If I turn off the sync via wi fi, the errors stop.....so that's what i've done.
--
GuruGuy

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to haroldo

Mine does this seemingly randomly as well. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes not.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to haroldo

All of this is in place?

Whenever the computer and the iOS device are on the same network, the iOS device will appear in iTunes, and you can sync it. The iOS device will sync automatically when all of the following are true:

* The iOS device is plugged in to power
* iTunes is open on the computer
* The iOS device and the computer are on the same Wi-Fi network

Is iTunes installed on a computer that is connected to your network over wifi? If so, "same Wi-Fi network" may mean same access point for both the computer and the iOS device if you have multiple ones at your location (and depending the router and its settings).

If needed, here are the troubleshooting steps: »support.apple.com/kb/ts4062
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA

said by darcilicious:

All of this is in place?

Whenever the computer and the iOS device are on the same network, the iOS device will appear in iTunes, and you can sync it. The iOS device will sync automatically when all of the following are true:

Is iTunes installed on a computer that is connected to your network over wifi? If so, "same Wi-Fi network" may mean same access point for both the computer and the iOS device if you have multiple ones at your location (and depending the router and its settings).

I'm well aware of how it is "supposed" to work, but it doesn't. There have been many reports of it not working. Google it.
--
GuruGuy

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by GuruGuy:

said by darcilicious:

All of this is in place?

I'm well aware of how it is "supposed" to work, but it doesn't. There have been many reports of it not working. Google it.

Agreed.

For me iTunes sees the devices and sometimes it does not. Sometimes they disappear when disconnected from USB connection then appear later, sometimes they do not. And very frequently none of my devices do that auto sync when plugged in to the mains even if iTunes shows them as visible. iTunes runs 24x7 on my network.

I thought moving iTunes to the OS X platform (I previously ran it on Windows) would solve it all but apparently not. Otherwise, iTunes does run well for me now. It's just the Wi-Fi syncing that blows.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to GuruGuy

said by GuruGuy:

said by darcilicious:

All of this is in place?

Pardon me for trying to help the OP. Have a nice day!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

haroldo

united state

1 edit

and you did! I was looking at iTunes and voila! it just appeared ... another Festivus Miracle!
(after 6.1.2...so it might not be a miracle, but an undocumented bug fix)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

LOL! Automagically fixed from afar!

haroldo

united state
reply to haroldo

I noticed (when USB connected) that both devices were unchecked for "sync via wifi". When turned back on, they are both seen.
Not sure if iTunes upgrade unchecked the boxes or not, but it's fixed

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by haroldo:

I noticed (when USB connected) that both devices were unchecked for "sync via wifi". When turned back on, they are both seen.

Just a warning, I have had that happen before this last update. I would not be surprised if the problem you've seen re-occurs at some point.

I upgraded earlier today and auto-syncing is still not working so that issue persists.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

and you did! I was looking at iTunes and voila! it just appeared ... another Festivus Miracle!
(after 6.1.2...so it might not be a miracle, but an undocumented bug fix)

Yup, missing devices just appear sometimes. And then they can just disappear after being connected over USB.

It just works you know
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

said by haroldo:

Just a warning, I have had that happen before this last update. I would not be surprised if the problem you've seen re-occurs at some point.

I upgraded earlier today and auto-syncing is still not working so that issue persists.

Yep, another abnormality that I've seen too. I frequently check all my settings to make sure they "stick".
--
GuruGuy

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo

Under Windows, there's a long-standing issue with ATH.EXE and AppleMobileDeviceService.exe intermittently locking up.

»discussions.apple.com/thread/430···tstart=0

Once they lock up, iTunes will seem to run fine, but iTunes won't find your phone.

You can go to an administrator cmd prompt and kill these services:

taskkill /f /im AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
taskkill /f /im ATH.exe
net start "Apple Mobile Device"

Now you can run iTunes and wifi syncing should start working again for a while. The more annoying bit is that when these services hang up, they also hog a CPU core.

It's kind of ridiculous that Apple hasn't fixed this yet.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by djrobx:

Under Windows, there's a long-standing issue with ATH.EXE and AppleMobileDeviceService.exe intermittently locking up.

»discussions.apple.com/thread/430···tstart=0

Once they lock up, iTunes will seem to run fine, but iTunes won't find your phone.

You can go to an administrator cmd prompt and kill these services:

taskkill /f /im AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
taskkill /f /im ATH.exe
net start "Apple Mobile Device"

Now you can run iTunes and wifi syncing should start working again for a while. The more annoying bit is that when these services hang up, they also hog a CPU core.

It's kind of ridiculous that Apple hasn't fixed this yet.

One of the reasons I gave up on iTunes on Windows.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo