Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit

Bungie: 'Nobody Plays Shooters With A Mouse And Keyboard'

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

»www.hardocp.com/news/2013/02/19/···keyboard

Sell your PC guys! Nobody wants to play a shooter with mouse and KB anymore.

Imagine a cross-platform TF2 match in which aim-assist is disabled for those people with a controller joining the map from a console. The tears would be so delicious.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

The Microsoft purchase really put these guys through some enhanced brainwashing measures. The koolaid is strong with Bungie, and now no one in the PC arena will take them seriously.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to TigerLord

lol...

I have heard of people using console controllers on their PCs.

I hate using a mouse and keyboard, I never fully made the transition from joystick to them. Granted the majority of games I used to play where flight sims, back in the early 90's.

Heck, I play WOW, and I'm a keyboarder all the way. Which supposedly is a bad thing.

But when I play PC games, I do use a mouse and a keyboard now, just not that efficiently.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

Imagine a cross-platform TF2 match in which aim-assist is disabled for those people with a controller joining the map from a console. The tears would be so delicious.

I have seen it on modded servers and it isn't a pretty sight for them. For us, it was one of the funniest damn things we ever saw.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Wightman Telecom
reply to TigerLord

I have a buddy that thought he was so good with a controller, always saying he could beat me with one. So I setup my other computer with a analog controller to play counterstrike and I made him cry. I even gave him aim assist. Now he is buying that adapter for a mouse and keyboard for the xbox 360 so he can school people on halo.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to TigerLord

Using a controller on a FPS is terrible. Period.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to TigerLord

Bungie are idiots.

I however prefer Keyboard/Mouse and use on the PS3.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to TigerLord

LOL - I can't use a controller- too many buttons to try and remember which ones you need to use. They are just trying to make it fact so they do not have to do more work/programming.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to TigerLord

I'd gladly play against a controller-wielding opponent in an FPS with my "obsolete keyboard and mouse" any day. Console players get raped without auto-aim.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to I_H8_Spam

omg resize

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

LOL - I can't use a controller- too many buttons to try and remember which ones you need to use. They are just trying to make it fact so they do not have to do more work/programming.

^^
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Cthen

Are there any youtube vids of that? I NEED to see it!

Also bungie be trippin balls.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to TigerLord

KB and mouse trump a controller any day. If I could the same FPS titles on my PC as I can on my 360, my 360 would collect a lot of dust.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to TigerLord

I have played with controllers my entire life. They are second nature to me. That said, I can't play a FPS with them anymore. In Far Cry 3 I prefer the controller for driving, but can't hit shit with it when I need to shoot someone. If I'm on KB+M, I kill 20 people then hop into a car and run into the nearest tree.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to TigerLord

Sounds like Bungies cord stretched a little too far.

It's also funny how they claim they made all those "ambitious things" to "reach out to people" when all they did was make their square game fit the squarer console limitations.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to TigerLord

said by bungie :
"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

Yup, and am sure you cured AIDS, and ended world hunger too buddy.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I'd gladly play against a controller-wielding opponent in an FPS with my "obsolete keyboard and mouse" any day. Console players get raped.

FIFY.

Give them an aimbot and they'd still get raped at the end of the day.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

this terrible (console) mind-set is something us PC gamers have to put up with daily.

Game devs wanting to court the console market move top-tier games into the console realm and dev for the console now and porting to the pc later giving us sub-par games and gaming experiences.

kb/mouse FTW 100% of the time. period.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TigerLord

I played the first Halo years ago. That's the only one I've ever played.

I thought it was a mediocre pile of crap to be honest. I never did fully understand all the hype behind it.

It looked bad, and was buggy as all hell.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04

So you never played Halo 2, 3, or 4?

/facepalm

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Vinceruos_t:

/facepalm

said by Ghastlyone:

That's the only one I've ever played.

I see reading comprehension isn't one of your finer skills?

Why would I play Halo 2,3 or 4, if the first one was a pile of crap? LOL

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to TigerLord

Keyboard/mouse completely dominate in the FPS realm. Bungie's ego is pathetic. I am pretty sure there have been tests/competitions to prove mouse/keyboard own in a FPS.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to pokesph

It seems about the only pc focused big name devs are valve and CDPR, and ya know it really shows. TW2 is good with KB+M and controller, likewise with valve games. They put honest to goodness effort into their games and it shows, even the stuff they port to console it quality.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

2 recommendations

reply to TigerLord

I've been reading the comments on Destructoid, and I think this commenter reflects my feelings the best and provided one of the more entertaining responses:

said by destructoid commenter :
The guy is right. I remember when Halo first came out. After about 10 minutes after I had started playing it, with tears streaming down my face, I had to pause it. I went to my PC and I ripped my keyboard and mouse out of it. I took the keyboard -- an old-school Dell mechanical, one of those big tanks that weighed about 50lbs and had the perfect clack-clack sound -- and started beating a kitten to death with it. I had to ruin something innocent and precious, because the pure perfection of Bungie's system had pushed the evil in my soul to the surface, and it had to escape.

After killing the kitty I smashed the keyboard into the wall and I grabbed the mouse. In a moment of acknowledgement to Bungie's mastering of the shooter, I had to debase myself further. I dropped my drawers, spread out the cheeks of my ass, and proceeded to bugger myself with my own mouse. "I deserve this!", I cried over and over, "Oh, God, why?!" as I shoved the Logitech up my anus.

Only after I had lodged the mouse firmly up my own ass, and still covered in the blood of a sweet, cuddly kitten, did I throw my PC into a bathtub full of water and I burned my vast collection of PC games. I cackled as the flames reflected in my eyes, copies of Quake III, Half-Life, Medal of Honor warping and snapping in the heat. Only then was I able to return to Halo, properly humiliated and baptized in Bungie's supremacy. Since then, there has only been darkness punctuated by the light Bungie brought with every Halo release.

Thank you, Mr. Jones, for disregarding every other game and stating FACT. You are our gaming God, Halo our gaming Jesus. Let the writhing, dirty masses gather at the base of your alter and look skyward, mouths open, whilst you stroke yourself off and release your golden spunk into our gaping maws. We want it, OH GOD, we want it so much.

--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord

Considering the assertion that keyboard and mouse are inadequate, it makes me wonder.

Why is it my son has no desire to even own a console?

I think it has something to do with the reality that a keyboard and mouse own PC gaming and to say otherwise, well I can't actually think of a dumber assertion at this time.

It's not that all games require mouse and keyboard, just the ones like shooters and MMOs, otherwise known as PC gaming.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee:

Keyboard/mouse completely dominate in the FPS realm. Bungie's ego is pathetic. I am pretty sure there have been tests/competitions to prove mouse/keyboard own in a FPS.

+1

in my golden days I would be able to run circles around controller users, using keyboard and mouse

when I watch someone else playing a fps with a controller, i just sit back and feel sorry for them, their controller use is about the equivalent of a retarded monkey playing the same game with a keyboard and mouse

they don't know what they are missing

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to TigerLord

something must be in the water at Microsoft because the whole corporation is getting more and more out of touch with their core customers and indusrty.

But on the flip side, more and more computer games are played on a 4-6" touchscreen.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

I played the first Halo years ago. That's the only one I've ever played.

I thought it was a mediocre pile of crap to be honest. I never did fully understand all the hype behind it.

It looked bad, and was buggy as all hell.

I have almost the exact same opinion. When they ported it to the PC, I gave it a try. My first thought was that the guns were weak ass peashooters. I remember fighting the first boss and emptying all my ammunition into him, running out of the area and finding some guns on the ground, running back and emptying those guns into him, running out to find some more guns, etc. until the dude finally dropped. Then I quit and uninstalled that mess.

said by Vinceruos_t:

/facepalm

So our resident WoW troll is also a Halo apologist? Why am I not surprised?
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Vinceruos_t

said by Vinceruos_t:

/facepalm

Kind of off-topic to PC Games.

I've TRIED to play Halo, but not finished any of them.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by footballdude:

So our resident WoW troll is also a Halo apologist? Why am I not surprised?

Didn't surprise me either. Looks like he came out for his daily feeding though.

said by Krisnatharok:

Kind of off-topic to PC Games.

I've TRIED to play Halo, but not finished any of them.

I've never followed the Halo franchise at all. Did they even port the 2nd, 3rd, etc. to PC at all?