Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Tech007

Premium Member

to Tech007

Re: 24Mb "Max Turbo"

TV, no VOIP.

My understanding is the TV signal uses a different frequency range, and does not affect Internet bandwidth. If you're saying that's wrong do you have an authoritative source?
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by Wily_One:

TV, no VOIP.

My understanding is the TV signal uses a different frequency range, and does not affect Internet bandwidth. If you're saying that's wrong do you have an authoritative source?

How many TVs do you have? Yes TV shares the same pipe as your internet.. If your watching HD say on 3 TV's at the same time your internet bandwidth will be limited.

AT&T UVerse TV is IPTV it runs over the same IP Connection as your internet.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to Wily_One

Mod

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

TV, no VOIP.

Television has priority over internet traffic but only if you are watching TV or recording on a DVR. If you want I'd be happy to look at your line tomorrow and check to see if it would handle 24 safely.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Matt7

Premium Member

to Matt7
said by Matt7:

How many TVs do you have?

We have 4 TVs; sometimes all 4 are in use but not always, and that's at night. But if TV is just another IP packet, even prioritized, then yeah I better get the upgrade!
said by Dennis:

If you want I'd be happy to look at your line tomorrow and check to see if it would handle 24 safely.

Sure, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by Wily_One:

Sure, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Just drop me your BAN in an IM.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to Wily_One

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

said by Matt7:

We have 4 TVs; sometimes all 4 are in use but not always, and that's at night. But if TV is just another IP packet, even prioritized, then yeah I better get the upgrade!

The IPTV and VoIP packets have priority within the U-verse network. So if you are watching live TV or recording then there is some impact to your overall HSIA capablity.

SD Streams take about 1.6-2.0 Mbps and each HD stream takes about 6.8-9.0 Mbps so you can see there is an impact to the overall capacity left for plain data packets. There is some good news in that U-verse uses Capped Variable Bit Rate (CVBR), variable bit rate video encoding enables HSIA to use bandwidth not being currently used by video streams.

This means that VDSL2 QoS service segmentation protects quality of VoIP and video while allowing HSIA data to “burst” into video bandwidth.

Dave

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

said by Matt7:

The line has a higher sync rate than the HSI speed (32mbps for a 24mbps internet connection). So some amount of TV will not affect internet speeds, but if you use all 4 HD streams at once, you'll see a significant drop in speed during that time.