... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to LazMan

Re: Long-Haul Fibre Amp site

said by LazMan:

When most of this route was built, 2.5 gig/oc-48 was the latest and greatest... That 40 and 100 gig wavelengths pass cleanly was a surprise to some of our engineers...

I think optical frequency stays same as 10G but the new gear transmits using QPSK modulation in both polarizations (DP-QPSK) to carry 4 bits instead of just 1 bit per period.

I get a bit sad seeing the Nortel logo. I worked there in the 1990s before the big bust.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
The spacing between wavelengths is tighter on the new gear; the reduced seperation means less tolerance to dispersion in the glass...

And fibre certainly does degrade over time; it becomes more brittle... The optical qualities don't change dramatically, but it does become less forgiving for splicing.

GM85
Click, Click

join:2002-07-02
London, ON
said by LazMan:

And fibre certainly does degrade over time; it becomes more brittle... The optical qualities don't change dramatically, but it does become less forgiving for splicing.

Never realized that (although it makes sense). Back in June we had fibre line installed to our office building and part of the process involved splicing into a 16 year-old fibre line that existed in our complex.

The fibre techs didn't have any issues with splicing the pairs together. However, a lack of documentation meant they had to be re-spliced in 2 locations since the pairs didn't match up (guess that's what happens when a line passes through 5 service provider acquisitions over the years).

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to lutful
Then you'd probably cry if I posted some photos I've taken recently of some old Nortel BTSs. Big brown ones. They've obviously been turned down and abandoned in place for "newer" S8000's.

I have a feeling those will be turned down and removed in the near future as well, in favor of newer technology.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.