share rss forum feed

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

downloading older versions of software

Wondering if folks feel comfortable downloading content from file hippo and/or oldapps sites? Checking after the recent chatter here about download.com. My daughter needs to update her iTunes for compatibility but I'd prefer to avoid Apples latest and greatest iTunes 11. I believe iTunes 10.7 offers all the latest security updates.

Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone

join:2004-05-31

I'm not an authoritative source, but I've felt comfortable with filehippo when needed. I know once or twice I've matched their md5 to the official source, but I've never messed with iTunes.
--
Government controlled healthcare? Name one thing government does efficiently and effectively!

VerdeDude
Here Kitty Kitty
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Northern Az.
reply to planet

I have used File Hippo for quite a while and have had no problems with any of their downloads. They keep a nice clean download collection.

Of course, to be safe, scan any download with your AV before installing.
--
I thought I had a handle on life, but it broke off!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to planet

Seldom used, but I've never had a problem with either link in the past.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to planet

I've had no problems with the downloads of the most recent or past versions of programs from file hippo.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to planet

File Hippo provides hashes.

And if you can verify them with something from apple.
> that would give you almost certainty

Or if you can verify them more broadly.
> that would at least let you know all the others who have been infected by the same .

10.7, 32-bit: 557f04a19184853cf475e90d7d2ddb48

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to planet

»www.oldversion.com is good also!!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to planet

Re: downloading older versions of software

I've used oldversion.com for many years but not recently but I would not be afraid to use it now if it had an old version I needed. file hippo I have also used for many years then I forgot about it until someone here reminded me and I have used it several times in the past few months.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

itunes4343

@comcast.net
reply to planet

You can download old versions of iTunes directly from Apple:

»support.apple.com/downloads/?val···s#itunes 10

If you know exactly what you want and need you could even extract the installer and only install those components.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to planet

When I want to avoid bloatware I'll occasionally use FileHippo.

»[BT] uTorrent Releases

For software like iTunes it's probably best to keep the software at current build levels.

»[Updated] Apple iTunes 11.0.2

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to itunes4343

said by itunes4343 :

You can download old versions of iTunes directly from Apple:

»support.apple.com/downloads/?val···s#itunes 10

If you know exactly what you want and need you could even extract the installer and only install those components.

Thanks for this link to all the builds. Very helpful and from an apple site to boot. I will compare hashes as well. Thanks for all the fdbk and links. I prefer to use 10.7 rather than the 11.0.2 build due to negative fdbk from the iTunes user community given 10.7 has all the security updates.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to planet

said by planet:

Wondering if folks feel comfortable downloading content from file hippo and/or oldapps sites? Checking after the recent chatter here about download.com. My daughter needs to update her iTunes for compatibility but I'd prefer to avoid Apples latest and greatest iTunes 11. I believe iTunes 10.7 offers all the latest security updates.

absolutely..........i have pulled the ccleaner from there for years
clean as a newborn..........imho........ya thatz right......imho....hah!
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion