how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Delco24

join:2004-02-15
Cary, NC

Traffic Sign Question

I was driving through Virginia on I-77 last weekend, and I noticed that every one of the on-ramps had a No Left Turn sign. I have never seen this before. Does anyone know why they put those there? Its not like you can really make a left turn anyway.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
Don't know about the interstates; but up here, we had a real bad run of wrong-way drivers on our high-speed, controlled access highways last year... Several fatal accidents; and more near-misses...

Perhaps a last-ditch attempt to prevent the same sort of thing?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Delco24
Just to clarify for other readers, the sign is located at the top of the on-ramp immediately before you merge into the highway.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to Delco24
People that couldn't figure that out themselves, shouldn't be allowed to breed. You can't fix stupid.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to Delco24
said by Delco24:

I was driving through Virginia on I-77 last weekend, and I noticed that every one of the on-ramps had a No Left Turn sign. I have never seen this before. Does anyone know why they put those there? Its not like you can really make a left turn anyway.

They don't build 'em the smartest in VA. Probably related to the proximity to DC.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Delco24
They put those signs up for stupid drivers (who should not even be on the road). Yes they can and do make left turns from the on ramp. Probably also something to do with CYA, so when a stupid driver turns left from the on ramp in to traffic that cannot say there was no sign telling them not to. I've seen them in other states too.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to Delco24
As has been already said people do the stupidest things on the road. Even with all the signs in the world. I've been OTR truck driving and have seen a lot of scary stuff. Anything and everything can and will happen.

My most hated on ramp nuts. Those who stop at the top that think they can merge from a stop when traffic is flying by at 65 mph or more. I've seen countless Grannies do this. I've been caught behind them a few times. It is also called an acceleration ramp.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Fir_Na_Tine:

As has been already said people do the stupidest things on the road. Even with all the signs in the world. I've been OTR truck driving and have seen a lot of scary stuff. Anything and everything can and will happen.

My most hated on ramp nuts. Those who stop at the top that think they can merge from a stop when traffic is flying by at 65 mph or more. I've seen countless Grannies do this. I've been caught behind them a few times. It is also called an acceleration ramp.

NOT true! Some do have stop signs & traffic lights, but stop signs are very rare. Traffic lights are not rare very common here in los angeles (ON RAMP HOV Lane Exempt)

Ramp meters are independent per lane per the sensor reading. (some are not independent per lane )
First photo is of I-110/CA-110

second is the interchange for the CA-134/I210
Expand your moderator at work

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to Delco24

Re: Traffic Sign Question

the sign maker has a friend in the highway department
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
reply to Cabal
said by Cabal:

They don't build 'em the smartest in VA. Probably related to the proximity to DC West Virginia.

I 77 is out in the boonies. Those guys are probably more familiar with hard gravel packed roads and the nuances of an interstate elude them.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to Delco24
Probably because someone's brother-in-law has the contract for making and posting signs.

In NJ, they put a one-way sign on the center divider/median of the main highway. Here's an example - »goo.gl/maps/WJWz2

Kluge

@verizon.net
reply to Cabal
...nah, those 'No Left Turn' signs aren't there for the Virginians (well, _maybe_ they are for some folks down in lower-slower VA... )...

They're put there so drivers from New Jersey don't drive into oncoming traffic if/when they get a little over-zealous while enjoying their new-found freedoms (being able to turn left, pump their own gas, not having to stop every 3 miles for toll booths, etc etc etc...)

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to beck
said by beck:

People that couldn't figure that out themselves, shouldn't be allowed to breed. You can't fix stupid.

Agreed!

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

NOT true! Some do have stop signs & traffic lights, but stop signs are very rare. Traffic lights are not rare very common here in los angeles (ON RAMP HOV Lane Exempt)

Ramp meters are independent per lane per the sensor reading. (some are not independent per lane )
First photo is of I-110/CA-110

second is the interchange for the CA-134/I210

Yes, there are metered ramps as you point out (we have a couple rare ones here in Columbus that seem like they have went into complete disuse) but they halt you at the bottom of the ramp, giving you time to get up to sufficient enough speed to merge by the time you hit the top of the ramp.

I have had first hand experience on a few rare occasions of what Fir_Na_Tine See Profile is talking about: Someone who comes up to the very top of the ramp right at merge-point and stops. This is completely different from ramp metering.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to Delco24
This just has to be a CYA. Someone, somewhere in VA decided to do the left-turn in the middle of the on-ramp. They probably died or were injured someway doing it and sued the state. The state lost the case and legislation kicked in mandating the 'don't-be-stupid' sign.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Kluge
I'm surprised the sign isn't obscured by the junk New York drivers throw from their cars.
--
Sequestration must be a great idea. Obama thought of it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to beck
said by beck:

problem is that the stupid people sue.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to ImpldConsent
said by ImpldConsent:

This just has to be a CYA. Someone, somewhere in VA decided to do the left-turn in the middle of the on-ramp. They probably died or were injured someway doing it and sued the state. The state lost the case and legislation kicked in mandating the 'don't-be-stupid' sign.

might not be legislation, but an overzealous interpretation of current code.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Delco24
Wrong-way, head-on crash on the NY State Thruway today - »www.timesunion.com/local/article···0071.php

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Delco24
Here I have never seen any of these no left turn signs by enter ramps.

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to grobinette
Not here I 77 goes by very populated areas so ha it is not in the sticks.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to Delco24
Michigan has signs similar to that but aways put in to someones spec's and some can be very confusing if it is nighttime and you are not familiar with the area.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
reply to chip89
said by chip89:

Where it runs through VA there are more cows than people. It isn't like 95.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Delco24
I imagine you have idiots who think it's okay to make a left hand turn when merging onto a highway. I've seen idiots doing just that, and it puts everyone at risk, even if it's just only a 2-lane highway.

I've been seeing more and more signs going up that just shouldn't have the need to be there. It has everything to do with poor upbringing and poor work ethic at the DMV, we gotta start failing people who can't get 100%.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to Delco24
I still can't wrap my head around why you would make a left turn (or a right turn! Why isn't there a no right turn sign?!) at the end of an on ramp.

Delco24

join:2004-02-15
Cary, NC
reply to chip89
said by chip89:

I'm actually from Independence, OH (although I moved away 5 years ago) - I-77 in Virginia and West Virginia is nothing like it is in NE Ohio. Heck, even once you get past Canton, its pretty much all farmland or mountains with the occasional small city (like Charleston, WV).

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
That's a lot nicer when It's rush hour here it's even worse when it's showing Took me a hour to get to work the other day!

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to LazMan
I've never seen an interstate that didn't have a median, either grass or a concrete barrier (usually in cities).

Those people had to been under the influence of drugs/alcohol, suicidal, or just plain frickin retarded.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Delco24
said by Delco24:

Maybe it's for drivers who rely on onstar. The impala i was driving times told me to literally drive the wrong way on an expressway in virginia and in wisconsin a few times. I swear that thing wants to kill me.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan