how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

1 edit

Want to buy a router - Do all routers go out 50% of time?

I am looking at buying a router. Reading Amazon and Newegg on Netgear, d-Link and Linksys models, it seems half the reviews are 5 stars (great router) and half are 1 star (quit working in short time span) on all of them.

Is it really a 50/50 gamble if a router will last more than a few months?

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

1 recommendation

A great resource for you would be »www.smallnetbuilder.com/. Reviews can be very subjective including mine. I have an Apple Extreme 5th generation and it has been rock solid for almost a year now. Not one dropped signal in all that time. It is a very simply router to set up and maintain. I get every ounce of speed I am paying for from Comcast. I am on the 50/10 plan. I also get excellent coverage around my house and my 2 acres. If you like to tinker and customize your settings I would recommend the Asus RT-N66U. From what I have read about this router it has been very stable since the last few software upgrades and the throughput and coverage is the best around. Both routers are dual band and priced about the same +/-. You can also scan these forums here for a lot of great information. The people in these forums are top notch and know what they are talking about. (I am technical but no where near the level of the other guys here.) Good luck in your decision.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to nine9s2

Asus is what you want. My RT-N66U is great. No problems at all with it. I get FULL speeds wirelessly (Exact same as directly connected to the modem).
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to nine9s2

Scratch N600 - N300 better for my needs (see below)?

Using a TG862 Comcast combo now. I have a simple Network: a bluray player and Directv box hooked up via Ethernet as well as two computers and one printer via Ethernet and only wireless device are 2 iPads. I just need internet services for each - I share no files between computers.

I have the Comcast Performance package.

Is an N300 probably all I need? Is the WNR2000 Netgear a good choice? It is 2 to 1 ratio of 5 stars vs 1 star reviews.

BIG b
Premium
join:2002-11-23
Connersville, IN
reply to nine9s2

I also say go for the Asus RT-N66U.. I bought it a month ago and it is the best router I have ever owned ! I am not even going to put DD-WRT on it
--
To be continued .....

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
reply to nine9s2

My parents have a D-Link that's been going strong for nearly five years. I have used a handful of Linksys/Cisco wireless routers over the years, and they're amazing. Hands down, that's what I'd go for.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
reply to YukonHawk

said by YukonHawk:

A great resource for you would be »www.smallnetbuilder.com/. Reviews can be very subjective including mine. I have an Apple Extreme 5th generation and it has been rock solid for almost a year now. Not one dropped signal in all that time. It is a very simply router to set up and maintain. I get every ounce of speed I am paying for from Comcast. I am on the 50/10 plan. I also get excellent coverage around my house and my 2 acres. If you like to tinker and customize your settings I would recommend the Asus RT-N66U. From what I have read about this router it has been very stable since the last few software upgrades and the throughput and coverage is the best around. Both routers are dual band and priced about the same +/-. You can also scan these forums here for a lot of great information. The people in these forums are top notch and know what they are talking about. (I am technical but no where near the level of the other guys here.) Good luck in your decision.

Right many people only find the time to pen product reviews when they are unsatisfied customers, but I will say that my Apple AirPort Extreme Basestations have been very solid. I've had to power cycle mine maybe twice ever. Before that I ran various Linksys devices...WRT610N, WRT350N, WRT54GS, etc. Seems like they all needed a power-cycle every couple of months, but maybe I'm just bitter.

I use two AEBS to cover my house. My main desktop PC is wired into the one functioning as an extender. The AEBS by the cable modem is about 40 feet away through two thick walls and I get nearly 14MB/s (112Mbps) throughput on 5GHz N with 40MHz channels. That's obviously plenty fast for my 50/10 connection, and just enough for 100/20 too.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I've had both a Linksys BEFSX41 (needed the VPN feature for work at the time), and currently a WRT54GL using Linksys firmware (work VPN is now through client software.)

The WRT is rock-solid and I've never really needed to reboot it due to any problem traceable to it. It's generally only been rebooted for power changes or modem issues. Wireless is disabled as I don't use it. It's fine for the Performance tier.

At some point, if I ever get a wireless tablet or whatever, I'll get a new one. I work from home, and stability is necessary.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to nine9s2

said by nine9s2:

No, not really. In fact, for the most part, routers can perform well for a number of years. Most of the routers that I have owned were either "retired" or given to friends/family only because I decided to go with a different model due to features or updates.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. With any device that you are reading reviews on - the "negative" reviews are almost inevitably pushed harder than the positive. Most folks buy a product, it works as they expect it to, and that is it. Positive posters are simply not as prevalent, folks who are mad/unhappy are more likely to post.

2. When internet service connections go bad, routers take an unfair brunt of the blame when there may be many other causes. Huge numbers of "re-furb" routers sold are simply routers that were returned for what turns out to be no reason!
--
Deeds, not words

scajjr

join:2005-03-01
Kingston, NH
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nine9s2

I've had an RT-N66U for almost a year and haven't had one issue with it. Our home network has 7 PCs, 2 iPads, Kindle, 2 NAS boxes, 2 printers, 8-port switch and 4 smartphones. The RT-N66U handles them all w/o any issues.
I have been running merlin's firmware on it for the past few months and it's great.

Sam

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

2 recommendations

reply to nine9s2

I am very happy with my Netgear WNDR3400 (N300). No problems, handles IPV6 and AirPrint, great price.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:3

I have the Western Digital N750 and it's been fine.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to nine9s2

Look at the TomatoUSB operating system and the models of routers that run it best, then choose from those. I picked up a refurb Linksys E3000 dual-band router and run Tomato, which has VPN, DLNA, NAS (router has USB 2.0 port for storage or print server), FTP server, Bittorrent client. Rock solid performance with all the security you could want. And I paid about $50 for the router.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

The E3000 is an excellent router which is actually just the re-branded version of my WRT610v2. Rock solid routers that indeed have no issue with 3rd party firmware. I have 33+ devices using my router wired & wireless & use the USB for a 1Tb HDD. I can saturate & stress the crap out of this router & it never chokes.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to nine9s2

said by nine9s2:

I am looking at buying a router. Reading Amazon and Newegg on Netgear, d-Link and Linksys models, it seems half the reviews are 5 stars (great router) and half are 1 star (quit working in short time span) on all of them.

No matter what router you end up with, make sure it does contain a Gigabit WAN port. While you may not have a package that requires it now, it would really be a pain if you decide to upgrade to a 105/50 or 200+ and you don't get the speeds you are paying for, all because your router's WAN port is 10/100 MB and not Gigabit.

When I mention this, I am always reminded about my first router, which was a Netgear RP-114 (see picture). It was brand new in 2000, and only came with a 10 MB WAN Port. Yes, I said 10 and not 10/100. Back in those days, that was OK. But, when my ISP came out with download speeds over 10 MB, I had to upgrade, as there was no way that router would ever download at anything faster then 8 or 8.5 MB (due to TCP/IP Overhead). In fact, I actually gave it to my Mom for a few years to help her save money. She had Comcast's performance package (16/2), and using that router. While the upload was always good, she never got 16 MB on the download side. That was fine for her, as she only read e-mail, and talked to friends on FB, and maybe once every month watched one or two videos on youtube. But, for someone who is a heavy internet user, and did not know, they may end up calling their ISP and trying to figure out why they were not getting the speeds they were paying for.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

I'll add: if you are going to add a switch, look for one that is "Green"; meaning it uses "Green Ethernet technology" to manage used & unused ports for energy consumption.

As examples, I have these:

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI···F8&psc=1

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HH···F8&psc=1
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to nine9s2

Thanks for all the tips.

What are the purposes of the open source routers? For someone who does not know what he is doing, could they prove more problematic?

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to owlyn

I have two WNR3500-L's, both rock solid and have been since I bought them, Of course I am running one with DD-WRT; the other is running stock firmware, and no issues at all..

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

reply to nine9s2

It allows using 3rd party firmware which adds options & functionality to the router. If your requirements are basic, you can stick with the manufacturers firmware.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to nine9s2

said by nine9s2:

My guess is that the half that "go out" in a few months are left unconfigured and unsecured, then someone comes along and "tweaks" them to their own liking. When the owner can no longer access the router, it's assumed to be dead. They buy another and the same thing happens a few months later; lather, rinse, repeat.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX

1 edit
reply to cooperaaaron

Double post sorry

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nine9s2

I have an old Netgear WGR614v9 that was cheap at under $40.00. Been using it since 2007 and another one like it for a few years. Maybe getting long in the tooth as it is a b/g , but serves my needs at this time. A couple of summers in the past I took it with me in my travels and when staying with friends used it. Just needed an open port on their router and power.

Only replaced it once, when a roommate allowed it to be on its side on top of a CRT Monitor and heat got to it.

On sites like Amazon where someone has put a low rating on something, I consider the level of expertise that is needed to setup and then scan the low ratings. I am looking for misspelling and poor grammar. Once those have been parsed, there usually are few 'poor' ratings.

nine9s2

Richmond, TX
reply to cooperaaaron

said by cooperaaaron:

I have two WNR3500-L's, both rock solid and have been since I bought them, Of course I am running one with DD-WRT; the other is running stock firmware, and no issues at all..

I might get one - they are $60 at Fry's and Walmart.

Does it matter which version v01 or v02?

Also, will I be able to use different DNS servers on each device under the WNR3500 or does it force one DNS server set on all devices in the network?

For example, can I use Norton ConnectSafe DNS level A on one computer and level B on another and an anywhere cast DNS on my Roku and OpenDNS on another device or will WNR3500 force whatever DNS is set for it on all devices?

I am confused on this because now I have Comcast's provided TG862 and it forces Comcast DNS servers on all devices no matter what each device sets its own DNS server too (known bug in the TG862 but I am not sure if the bug is that one cannot change DNS servers in the TG862 or whether the bug is that it overrides device set DNS servers, so I am wondering how the WNR3500L handles DNS servers)?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to owlyn

said by owlyn:

I am very happy with my Netgear WNDR3400 (N300). No problems, handles IPV6 and AirPrint, great price.

I am just wondering

What is AirPrint?

Thanks
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

Apparently AirPrint addresses iOS devices to print wirelessly on AirPrint enabled printers.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Yes, air print is for printing from a ipad, iPhone. droid etc.
The Apple stuff finds the printer, usually a HP printer with out installing any apps and works great. The Droid stuff needs playing around with some to get it to find the printer.

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA

1 edit

I have been running a couple of refurbished E2000's with Tomato and WDS to get coverage through my house and property. Everything has been running fine for about 6 months but started needing reboots every few days a couple of weeks ago.

I just bought an RT-N66U and couldn't be happier. One router gives me coverage throughout the house (including areas I needed the second WDS router for before) and over my 1 acre property.

I have 17 devices connected to it now and everything seems to be connecting with better speeds than before.

I am using the 5MHz band with an Asus USB-N53 (which claims a reliable 300 Mbps connection) for my main PC - everything else is either wired (multiple video streaming devices) or using the 2.4 GHz band.

While I don't really need the RT-66U speeds with my current 20 Mbps Comcast service the range and better speed connections at distance make it worth it. As others have said I may not even change the firmware to Tomato or other third party firmware as the stock Asus firmware seems good and I have seen reviews saying it is faster then the third party firmware.

If it remains stable this is a much better solution with one fast router and good coverage versus the sometimes flakey multiple routers using WDS

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

Apparently AirPrint addresses iOS devices to print wirelessly on AirPrint enabled printers.

Yes. I can print directly from my iPhone to my Canon printer. In my case, I need to have my PC turned on, as the printer is not a network-enabled printer. Still, the whole setup works very well.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Wayne99021

said by Wayne99021:

Yes, air print is for printing from a ipad, iPhone. droid etc.
The Apple stuff finds the printer, usually a HP printer with out installing any apps and works great. The Droid stuff needs playing around with some to get it to find the printer.

What's silly is the lack of AirPrint support on the JetDirect printserver built into the AirPort Extreme Basestation. I have an AirPrint capable printer now, but my old LaserJet 1200 connected to the AEBS can't receive jobs directly from iDevices.

The printer I have that does support AirPrint also receives print jobs from any source that can attach a document to e-mail...many printers do that these days.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to nine9s2

The last router that went on me was because of the plug. We use a special wireless Vonage router that they don't make anymore. Let's just say it fits into our network infrastructure the way we want it. after a storm hit, the router went out. Replacing it exactly was mucho expensive, however I had the non-wireless version of the same router.... uses the same plug. Exchanged the plugs and it booted right up!

Bought a few surplus plugs the next day on eBay for a few bucks!
--
Guns Will Be Gone. Period. Thank OUR President Obama for putting the lives of our children ahead of special interests.