spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shaywood4
join:2013-02-23
Tualatin, OR

shaywood4

RT-N56U Firmware update 3.0.0.4.342 WAN Lease Time Question

I just upgraded my asus RT-N56U router to .342 firmware. On the Internet status page I noticed the WAN IP listed and a field titled "lease time" which counts down every 30 minutes. Is there a way to change the the WAN IP Lease Time so it doesn't request a new IP every 30 minutes?

This is not to be confused with the DHCP lease time for LAN IP's.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

WAN lease times are controlled by the upstream server. It's done like this to give the operations personnel control of the connected devices. They can force a re-issuance whenever they want.

Is there a particular issue you are trying to address (other than the time itself)?
shaywood4
join:2013-02-23
Tualatin, OR

shaywood4

Thanks for the replay. Prior to this firmware upgrade, my WAN IP would stay the same for weeks. Now, I've noticed it is changing frequently, perhaps more than once a day. I host a website that uses ddclient to update the domain name and IP address, but I've noticed some problems when the WAN IP changes this quickly. I think my ISP is caching frequent URL's, which aren't updating as quickly has my WAN is changing, even though the IP address get updated.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 edit

John Galt6 to shaywood4

Premium Member

to shaywood4
Adjust the timing for the ddclient. You can see how to do that here:

»help.ubuntu.com/communit ··· namicDNS

Look down the page a bit...it discusses the method and gives an example.