how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

router login issues

I keep getting "Login has been temporarily disabled due to too many unsuccessful login attempts. Please try again later."

Now yes I can reset the router then enter in all my changes like the network name, password, WPA2 AES with my key etc...

I'm sick of resetting my router every time just to login. Is verizon trying to login remotely and failing since I changed the admin password?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by thetick:

Is verizon trying to login remotely and failing since I changed the admin password?

No. VZ doesn't login to the router remotely using the admin password.

More likely, it's a neighbor on a wireless connection.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

thetick

White Plains, NY

I have WPA2 AES with a randomly generated key (not the verizon default) and Remote Admin options disabled. I just changed the key. I really can't imagine a neighbor would have cracked a WPA2 AES randomly generated key to get wireless access to have access to my router?

I'm not a security expert, but I thought WPA2 AES with a random key was currently uncrackable with current technologies.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to thetick

There's one kind of login: to the GUI, and I'm assuming that's what you're trying to do. Maybe another kind of login is accessing wireless. There's 5 concurrent GUI logins available. You can log in, perform legitimate activity, then close the browser. You're still logged in until something times out in the router, and I think it's on the order of 3 minutes, maybe more. It's possible you're attempting to log in when you've exceeded the session count.

How long since resetting the router to get to "too many unsuccessful login attempts"? Open the security log to see what's going on. [edit to add] Or wait 5 minutes and try again.

Once you reset the router and change the settings to your liking, stay logged in, don't forget to change to other pages periodically to keep your login alive. Check the security log.

Login, then click Firewall / Security Log. The security log shows all attempts (failed and successful) and from which network address. This may help narrow down the error message.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI
reply to thetick

Too many sessions error generates message "No more than 5 sessions at a time are allowed. Please wait until open sessions expire."

Not exactly what you posted.

So, to troubleshoot further. Let's assume you can log in, and can manage to stay logged in. I just tried a couple minutes ago to test length of inactivity timeout. It's up to 6 minutes and still staying logged in.

Check out the Connections list. Click Advanced / IP Address Distribution / Connection List. This will list all current DHCP connections. Check to compare with security log to see what's what.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI
reply to thetick

Using a Rev.C with 10.14.4 firmware, I tried an incorrect password 95 times and did not get the message you displayed. My Actiontec is not reachable as CPE and there is no TV box connected either, so I think firmware upgrade path is blocked.

You have a Rev.I?

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
reply to thetick

Sticky keyboard???

It's possible that one of the keys used to type your password has gotten flaky, causing an unintended typo when you try to key in the password..
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
reply to thetick

The same thing happens to me intermittantly. No pattern. No entries in the security log. I've posted this issue in this forum but haven't received a definitive answer. It has happened on two different verisions of the Actiontec routers.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to thetick

said by thetick:

Now yes I can reset the router then enter in all my changes like ...

Instead of resetting the router, did you try just rebooting it? That'll probably be good enough.

/M

thetick

White Plains, NY

Rebooting make no difference. I have the REV I.

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to thetick

This just happened to me. I tried to login last night to verify my wifi password since my phone won't accept it. I got the same message when I tried to login. I had just accessed the router the night before without issues.

I let it sit overnight and it was the same thing this morning, and again after work. I guess I will have to reset my router which is a pain.