thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16

mikrotik question

I have my 450 g set to give out addresses from 150 to 254
There are addresses not used in that range

Yesterday I try to put a customer on and no net: associated

turn it into a bridge and instead of a 10.5.50.--- I see a 192.168.---.---

check the 450 and it did have a hotspot pool in that range but on a different port,

Seems the 450 could not give out addresses and chooses to give out a 192 address.

Once I opened the pool from 100 to 254 the first thing the router did is give and address in that pool to the Nano I was trying to install.

Why is the 450 not choosing addresses available in the previous 150 to 254 range

And how did it ever get a 192 addy?

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

Are there any other devices on the network which might be running a DHCP server? If it isn't getting the IP from the 450, that's the next thing I would look for.

bburley

join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB
reply to thewisperer

I hesitated to try and answer because your description of the problem is not very clear or well worded. I can't get a complete picture.

However, a MikroTik DHCP Server (could be more than one configured) can be assigned to a particular interface. An IP Pool can be assigned to a particular DHCP Server. If the ports are bridged, the DHCP Server should be assigned to the Bridge port. Check all of these settings.

When you said you turned it into a bridge did you mean LAN ports or did you bridge LAN and WAN? As I said before, not very clear.

thewisperer
Premium
reply to thewisperer

i agree was not easy to read.

I checked, nothing was giving dhcp on the network: all customers are set up as router

I did see two pools in Mikrotik but could not understand why one day it started giving the second pool when the first one still has addys

Anyways, was solve by enlarging the pool as I said

thank you

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to thewisperer

That's a weird one. What firmware?

thewisperer
Premium

I am still on 4.14 Never saw a need to update when everything is
running fine (no phone calls!)

thewisperer
Premium
reply to thewisperer

In ip,dhcp server, leases, you have the option make static

Once that address is given out and made static, is it possible it will only give it out to the same mac?

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1

Yes it will only hand that IP to the MAC if it's set for static. If another MAC requests the IP that has been statically assigned it will get a NAK. Even if it's not static Mikrotik IP allocations are 'sticky' through a reboot of the DHC Server. I suspect that you have another IP Address pool that is 192.168.x.y and the DHCP server has a failover action to that pool if the first pool is full. If not that then you have another DHCP server on that segment and it responded when the MT couldn't allocate.

thewisperer
Premium

how can I get those addresses back?

removing them from the list does not do it

thanks

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1

When you delete the static entry they will get recycled but MT will continue to allocate addresses in the order it already is, so if for example you free up .254, .253, and .252 but the DHCP server is currently allocating .20. The the next IP it will allocate will be .19, it won't get back to the addresses you freed up until it runs out of addresses in the pool in the direction it's allocating (which is supposed to be highest to lowest per the RFC, but some versions of ROS are lowest to highest)