share rss forum feed

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

Electric Bill

Got my electric bill in the new home and it's through the roof. Is there a way for me to determine what's consuming so much electricity here?
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

There are lots of ways, kill-a-wats, clamp on meters, smart meter reporting, etc. Do you get online access to the properties billing history before you moved in?

What do you have running/details about the house/electric bill total, kw used, etc. would be helpful info for a thread like this.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Archivis

Is the heating/ cooling electric? Is the hot water electric?

Those would be the top possible items.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Archivis

Tell us more.
1) Base cost of electricity there?
2) Cost / kWH for electricity?
3) What major electrical appliances do you have (furnace, heat pumps, range, HW, well, etc...)?
4) Vintage of the house?
5) Any billing history for the address? Often agents include it in the MLS data.

BTW, although MLK was indeed a Republican, and I'm sure he would agree with your quote; I'm pretty sure that one can be credited to Thomas Jefferson.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Archivis

Also what do you consider through the roof?

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

said by mityfowl:

Indeed.
For me a $60 electric bill is through the roof in my home.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Archivis

Please define "through the roof" so we can try to help you.

Don't forget the guy here who had a space heater he didn't know about running 24/7.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

said by Bob4:

Please define "through the roof" so we can try to help you.

Don't forget the guy here who had a space heater he didn't know about running 24/7.

Space heater aka upside down electric range element. My middle name is Danger and everything, but that thing freaked me out.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

1 edit
reply to beachintech

said by beachintech:

Do you get online access to the properties billing history before you moved in?

There's no smart meter. I may have access to the previous history, but I'd have to call (Mon-Fri).

What do you have running/details about the house/electric bill total, kw used, etc. would be helpful info for a thread like this.

It says that I used 5927 kWh over 35 days for an average of 169 kWh/day.

Distribution Charge 5927 kWh at 3.146C per kWh.

Transmission Charge at .687C per kWh.

Generation Charge at 6.878c per kWh.

I'm looking at $650 for an electric bill.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

Is the heating/ cooling electric? Is the hot water electric?

Those would be the top possible items.

Electric everything. Baseboard heat, electric water heater.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Tell us more.
1) Base cost of electricity there?

See above.

2) Cost / kWH for electricity?

See above

3) What major electrical appliances do you have (furnace, heat pumps, range, HW, well, etc...)?

No heat pump. I have baseboard heat, electric stove, electric hot water heater, well pump, some electronics.

4) Vintage of the house?

5) Any billing history for the address? Often agents include it in the MLS data.

When we bought the home, the previous resident said her average bill was in the upper $100's. I won't be able to call the electric company until Monday.

BTW, although MLK was indeed a Republican, and I'm sure he would agree with your quote; I'm pretty sure that one can be credited to Thomas Jefferson.

I credited to MLK to illicit the very response you just gave. Most people send nastygrams via IM.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

$650.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Just a bunch of baseboards everywhere
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

I know I'm an electric hog. I was at my previous residence and I was peaking out at the lower $200's. Everything there was electric as well.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Archivis

So you have electric baseboard heat and live somewhere on earth -- is that correct? It may help if you narrow down the general area on earth where your house is.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

I'm in Pennsylvania. We kept everything at around 65 degrees. It was a standard cold month. According to the bill, it says the average temp was 30 degrees for my billing cycle.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Archivis

592 Kwh isn't that much usage for an all electric house.

$650 is a bunch for 592 kwh.

There must be some more charges?

1st time set up? deposits?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

I had a typo. It is 5927, not 592. i fixed it. The breakdown mentions nothing of deposits, first time setups, etc.

$186 for distrubtion, $40 for transmission, $407 for generation.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

I have a few computers on, whatever else is running in my house normally and the disc outside is running at 7 seconds per revolution. I don't know shit about electricity. I suppose I could run around and turn off all my heat and see if the disc slows down.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Archivis

Click for full size
said by Archivis:

I had a typo. It is 5927, not 592. i fixed it. The breakdown mentions nothing of deposits, first time setups, etc.

$186 for distrubtion, $40 for transmission, $407 for generation.

Ok thats better.

That would be about $480 here.

Now it's time to turn down the heat and put a sweater on for starters.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Archivis

I live in the northeast and my electric bill in the summer is about $90 (running two window A/C units constantly) and $189 in the winter (assuming average temps because I have baseboard heat). I get the special needs/disability discount on my electric bill because I have been disabled since I was born. In some states, utilities are required by their tariffs to offer a discounted rate for senior citizen/disabled customers.

Edit: my unit is 936 square feet on my side of the duplex.

If your bill is that high, you might want to see if you qualify for any discounts/assistance. You could also look into budget billing where they average out a year's worth of bills into equal installments. If you own the house, you could look into converting to a cheaper source of heating or upgrading appliances. If you rent, either talk to the landlord about upgrading appliances or put in your 30 days notice that you are moving.

One last note, if the refrigerator is more than 10 years old, replace it. An old refrigerator will shoot an electric bill through the roof.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Archivis

For an all electric house in Pennsylvania in the winter - sounds about right. You really need a cheaper way to heat your house - a heat pump would help a bunch - but you need to have the duct work for distribution (think - central air conditioning). You probably also have the normal suspects of inadequate insulation.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

If your bill is that high, you might want to see if you qualify for any discounts/assistance. You could also look into budget billing where they average out a year's worth of bills into equal installments. If you own the house, you could look into converting to a cheaper source of heating or upgrading appliances. If you rent, either talk to the landlord about upgrading appliances or put in your 30 days notice that you are moving.

I just moved in here under a home purchase, not a rental. I'm not going to quality for anything under my income.

One last note, if the refrigerator is more than 10 years old, replace it. An old refrigerator will shoot an electric bill through the roof.

Let me try shutting that off real quick.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to scooper

said by scooper:

For an all electric house in Pennsylvania in the winter - sounds about right. You really need a cheaper way to heat your house - a heat pump would help a bunch - but you need to have the duct work for distribution (think - central air conditioning). You probably also have the normal suspects of inadequate insulation.

I moved from an all electric house in PA to another house 10 minutes away, all electric. My AC unit is central air, but it's 21 years old. I intend to replace it with a heat pump. Sounds like I need to get that out of the way before next year.

I turned off all of the baseboard heat in the house and went from 7seconds per rotation to 13 seconds. Let me try turning off the fridge.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

said by Archivis:

said by scooper:

I moved from an all electric house in PA to another house 10 minutes away, all electric. My AC unit is central air, but it's 21 years old. I intend to replace it with a heat pump. Sounds like I need to get that out of the way before next year.

I turned off all of the baseboard heat in the house and went from 7seconds per rotation to 13 seconds. Let me try turning off the fridge.

That fridge at most will eat $15/mo. $20 max

Not worth it.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Archivis

If it's any consolation, at least you don't have a natural gas bill...

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to mityfowl

I just turned off the fridge and the disc went from 13 seconds per rotation to 19 seconds per rotation. It's an Amana from 2002.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

If it's any consolation, at least you don't have a natural gas bill...

I did once. Had a brutal January and a home built in 1912 with 13 foot ceilings. $600 for the natural gas alone. It broke me.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

I just turned off the fridge and the disc went from 13 seconds per rotation to 19 seconds per rotation. It's an Amana from 2002.

That fridge is a bit harder to judge because 3 or 4 times a day it runs through a defrost cycle and activates a heating element.

You have to put a kill o watt on it.

Your going to need one of those anyway.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

The revolutions can be translated / converted to kw/h, can't it ? And does a fridge draw a lot ALL the time or only when the compressor runs ?