Search similar:

uniqs

jbryan
join:2004-11-30
White, PA

2 edits

jbryan

[Help] LOJACK (Intelr)

I have a Dell laptop that I was supposed to repair. It is locked with a lojack. They said they never activated it or ever created any password. I called Dell and they could not help me. This belongs to a family and I KNOW it is not stolen. They have all the invoices when it was purchased. I replaced the hard drive hoping that would correct it but it did not. I reset the bios and was able to enter the bios settings one time when I found the setting to activate or deactivate it. I could not deactivate it. It said I needed the password. They know nothing about any password. This is a fairly new laptop and hate to just trash it. Is there any work around for this. PLEASE HELP!! P.S. I'M NOT SURE IF ITS A ACTUAL LOJACK BRAND. IT SAYS INTELR ????

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER

Premium Member

Re: [Help] LOJACK

If it is under warrenty - send it in and let Dell deal with it.

-
Option #2 :

If the systems will boot a cd / dvd you may be able to do the following:
»www.freakyacres.com/remo ··· e_lojack

Basicly, you would be moding the BIOS to remove the 'Lojack' from the BIOS. [Which would permanently disable it.]

-
Option #3 - the Easy method:

.. Otherwise just call Absolute - the provider of the Lojack software:
»www.absolute.com/en/comp ··· /contact

They may ask for copies of the sales reciept, but they may be able to help you to disable it.

jbryan
join:2004-11-30
White, PA

jbryan

Thanks. It will not boot from cd. Locked in the security screen. They have nothing showing that they purchased any lojack,. They don't know where it came from. The daughter had it at college so who knows what happened.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

said by jbryan:

Thanks. It will not boot from cd. Locked in the security screen. They have nothing showing that they purchased any lojack,. They don't know where it came from. The daughter had it at college so who knows what happened.

Perhaps this is what INTELR is:

»software.intel.com/en-us ··· chnology
rcdailey

1 recommendation

rcdailey to jbryan

Premium Member

to jbryan
said by jbryan:

Perhaps this is what INTELR is:

»software.intel.com/en-us ··· chnology
Bashy
join:2009-05-20
Arlington, VA

Bashy to jbryan

to jbryan

Re: [Help] LOJACK (Intelr)

What about taking the BIOS battery out for a few minutes, it may reset to factory settings when you put it back in.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to jbryan

Premium Member

to jbryan
I just bought a laptop, it is the first factory built system I've bought since 1994. I thought about getting lojack, but couldn't afford the price and was unsure of it messing up the system.

Now I read posts online that they can track your every movement, track all the software and whatnot, and totally invade any semblance of privacy. And what would stop them from locking you out of your own computer if you didn't renew after a year.

I didn't realize that it writes to BIOS/UEFI. How does that work?

While I have nothing to hide nowadays, being kept track of, heck, I don't even like to post what I am doing on twitter, and when TV news stations try to get me on camera, I run the other way. I prefer to not be in the limelight if you will.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

1 recommendation

humanfilth to jbryan

to jbryan
Can you get any more information from them about what led to the bios lock? Visiting shady webpages or their anti-virus kicked up a stink just before. Maybe someone else accessed it(local or online) and locked the Bios for giggles.

This post describes a 'bios virus'. Interesting stuff. An infection will go after the bios to lock it to kill the boot or more advanced versions will hold the machine hostage and make demands for payment(still allows for the OS to boot).
»blog.webroot.com/2011/09 ··· he-wild/

You can look for yourself for bios unlocker hacks. Using a program or service to tear open the password key to see its password.

I like AMDUSER post option #2. Quite informative to the crap that companies put on machines.