uniqs
share rss forum feed

Scois0n

join:2013-02-24

1 edit

[help] Is this unusual?

Throughput window
Hey everybody! *first*
I have AT&T HSI 768 Kbps (Downstream) 384 Kbps (Upstream) and I'm noticing extremely poor web browsing, downloading and anything internet performance on my Dell Inspiron 660. (Newish, but already discontinued by dell). The specs are 6GB of RAM, i3 quad-core 3.40GHz with 64bit Windows 8 basic (I'm downgrading to Windows 7 soon, hopefully). The WiFi card is a Dell Wireless 1506 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz.

Anyways, besides the connectivity issues I really like it! On my other devices I can connect fine, and browse and download with consistency. My PC loses internet whenever I walk away from it (actually it just timed out while I'm writing this) and any downloads over 80MB, or sometimes less, inevitably time out, so when i'm downloading things in Google Chrome i get an error: Network Connection Time out, or something along those lines.

My router is a Wireless Dual-band N+ Belkin N600 DB Router, up to 300Mbps 2.4GHz + 300Mbps 5GHz.

Thank you for any and all replies

UPDATE:

Fix = »Re: [help] Is this unusual?
Thank you buddy, so far so good; no timeouts with receive speeds consistently at 600+kbps and some lucky spikes reaching 1.5Mbps!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

Go on Amazon and read the 1-star reviews for the Belkin N600 DB. Looks like that model had a QC issue, or it doesn't get along with certain adapters.

Just my semi-educated opinion.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to Scois0n

What other devices do you use with the Belkin WiFi? Can you post the results of those devices tests? Have you connected directly to the modem and done a speed test? »www.ispgeeks.com

Turn off the b part of the WiFi 802.11 b/g/n on both the laptop and the Belkin and see if that helps. Also there are only three real 802.11 2.4GHz channels 1, 6, and 11. Start the Belkin locked on 1 and see if things improve, if not try 6, and then 11. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#Cha···tibility

Scois0n

join:2013-02-24
reply to DrStrange

Thanks DrStrange, Thought it *might* be a router problem (Naturally thats what AT&T suggested). I have another router, a smaller N300 model, but that one was retired due to poor performance so maybe i'll try a new router!

Thanks again

EDIT:

Other devices? Four tablets, an iPod Touch, two Netbooks, two desktops and a wii, but that's it. I'll try what you suggested and get back to you!