spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Piotr

join:2013-02-24

[AB] Price increas for April

Just noticed on my new bill price will increase $7 for April 1.

I was considering going back to telus but they cut their caps recently. Guess there is no decent isp in Canada.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

sasktel is the only company in Canada that have no caps and hardly increase rates. but you have to move to Sask to get it. or you stuck with lousy companies in the west.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Piotr

Telus has lowered their caps, but it remains to be seen if they are going to enforce them. (yah telus is that dumb. sort of like when they posted overage fees with no intent on enforcing them, only to scare away prospective clients).

On the the flip side Shaw hasn't been enforcing my bb50 cap either.

As for fees. IF the shaw institutes bump and my bill gets to expensive I'm going to leave my TV services with Shaw, move internet to teksavvy and kill the landline.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to bucko2012

I'd take Novus over Sasktel, so either moving to Vancouver or parts of SK.

Piotr

join:2013-02-24
reply to Piotr

I am considering going with Distributel for internet now. I am not sure about their service. I know the just resell shaw.

I was only on the bb50 package because i always exceeded the 250 gig cap on the lower tier with Netflix. So i saw that Distributel has 25mpbs package that is unlimited. Well at least for now.

MrToady

join:2011-08-30
Medicine Hat, AB
reply to Piotr

yep I just saw the $7 increase on the bill...how lovely!! I think I might be making a phone call and letting them know I'm done.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

let them know that you are done, you don't need to pay more. try out telus or novus. don't get distrubutel cause Shaw will get some money from because the resell their service, try to get a service that doesn't involve Shaw greedy ways.

MrToady

Medicine Hat, AB

yeah I just found out I can get 50mb from telus, I need them to come and hookup my connection anyways as I bought a new house that hasn't had the connection ran yet.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

what Shaw did say when you cancel all your services? ah that's part of life? lol Shaw don't care one way or another.

MrToady

Medicine Hat, AB

They didn't care too much...I told them that when I originally signed up they said my bundle price (phone, 50mb internet and basic cable) would be $104.99. I asked and made them confirm that it wouldn't ever go up and they said no...when they raised my service fees $5 last year I called and complained they said they never promised me that my price wouldn't change (strike 1), then they promised me dnla on my gateway by the end of 2012 (strike 2), and now they're trying to rake me for another $7 (strike 3). I'm Out!!

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

thanks for clearing things up mrtroady. you have switched everything to telus i see? hope telus is been good to you better than Shaw.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
reply to MrToady

oh btw, i hope you get some money off your gateway when you sell them online. hope you sell them at a great price.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
reply to MrToady

I hope you're not expecting Telus to never raise your rate lol. I signed up for 25/2.5 @ $47 with Telus ($5 bundle discount but not the 6 month promo rate) and it has already increased to $60 less than a year later.

It just seems like a waste of money to ditch the expensive gateway hardware already when Telus has the same practices.

MrToady

Medicine Hat, AB

If I can make back a little money on the gateway and portals I'll be happy as I got it for a good deal when I signed up 2 years ago (2 portals and the gateway for $500) . I'm going back to Bell for TV as I have a 9242 that I was able to snag when they swapped all the old mpeg2 gear in 2011. Basic TV for $20/month for a year is all I need anyways.

MrToady

Medicine Hat, AB
reply to ruiner

.....Plus I need Telus to come and hook everything up outside so I can look at getting teksavvy later in the year if telus upsets me to much.

adiabatic

join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC
reply to Piotr

I can't believe that we're getting this increase and today I noticed a McDonalds ad on the bottom line of the Guide.

What the hell. I'm not paying all this money for cable only to get ads delivered via the box I bought outright.

Shaw, you're pushing me closer and closer to getting all my content via Netflix and torrents... of course, I could just get my TV from Telus...

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Piotr

I take people's threats to move to Telus with a grain of salt. Telus really isn't cheaper (if you look past the sign up deal). If you take the signup deal your locked in for 3 years. There bundles seem subpar to Shaw. They have no best of HD, so you have to buy a bunch of minipacks to get the same channels. It really adds up.

If I were to cut the cord, I'd probably try and find an unlimited internet reseller.

adiabatic

join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

said by zod5000:

They have no best of HD, so you have to buy a bunch of minipacks to get the same channels. It really adds up.

I watch a pretty small number of channels so I can get away with it. I'm in the minority I'm sure. Really, if it came to that I'd probably just see if I could live without cable TV.

Anyway, the point of my post was that Shaw is really pushing it combining a fee increase with commercial ads in the guide. Is Shaw so financially strapped that they needed to find two new sources of revenue? One or the other is tolerable... both at the same time is too much.

That's all on top of being over a year late for activating 10 Mbps upload speed on BB100 despite the DNU being done long ago. Maybe those McDonalds ads will pay for new equipment? Doubt it.

dazman09

join:2010-10-28

Yea about 12 months ago we were paying $180/mo for Triple play. we cut services and got it down to $160 or so, and now our bill for April will be just over $190 again. Nothing has changed, we dont have new channels, faster internet, more data, or new phone services, so I'm curious as to why our bill has gone up $30... almost 20% with no improvement/change in service.

I guess someone has to pay for the renovations to corporate, the CEO's new office, and retirement packages for the former old drunk CEO.. Not happy that its me.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Dont worry soon Canadians will be paying well over 500 dollars a month for tv and snail paced Internet

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

said by DanteX:

Dont worry soon Canadians will be paying well over 500 dollars a month for tv and snail paced Internet

Already paying $3500/month for Telus!

Oh ya, it's a 50Mb fiber circuit. Still shit, though.

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

1 edit
reply to DanteX

how you know that danteX? you talking bout Shaw or telus. you have telus right? you going to Shaw again?

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Next ISP i go to will be TEksavvey but in the mean time I am going to bitch and complain until the Big ISPS learn to compete properly and offer a service that doesn't show Canadians get gauged for what they get . As well certain ISPS feel the need to prevent users from using their own hardware and lock you out of changing that in the all in ones they give out.

The price I threw out of what will be is an estimate as the prices just keep shooting up but speeds stay the same low bandwidth caps high overages mean while the rest of the world sees the cost per Gb constantly drop and drop but in Canada it keeps rising.

Cant make the switch right now got a baby on the way so can not afford the termination fees of the contract

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Piotr

This is BS. Why is everyone getting a $7 increase and my bill says a $10 increase? 1.5 years ago they had great prices, but the amount of random increases are silly. Now the fees a rediculously high.

Oh, and for those who are complaining about DNLA. They told me, "OH so we never said it was a feature? Only that is coming? Where the promise in that?".

Too bad Telus sucks more.

jarrycanada

join:2004-12-02
reply to Piotr

What the hells the 7 dollars for? is this some sorta April fools day joke...

I was going to order HBO because of game of throwns now I have to re-think my budget for the month. thanks shaw.

jarrycanada

join:2004-12-02

Found the answer for the price increases over at digitalhome looks like shaw is building a Ivory Tower.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s···ngs.html

isn't that nice...

MrToady

Medicine Hat, AB
reply to Piotr

I cancelled and the Rep was shocked that I was moving to Telus it was almost like an insult to him personally.

He tried all the tricks but I said I already have Tv with bell and Telus has been here and hooked up my internet.

We got into a argument because I told him I'm still waiting for DNLA to be turned on for the gateway and he said "Shaw" wouldn't want to turn on something that doesn't work, so I asked him why they released the gateway to begin with because it's buggy and doesn't work.

Oh well I'll probably be back in 6 months shopping for a better deal as it seems you have to jump ship in order to get respected these days.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to bucko2012

said by bucko2012 :

sasktel is the only company in Canada that have no caps and hardly increase rates. but you have to move to Sask to get it. or you stuck with lousy companies in the west.

Sasktel , MTS and Bell Aliant are probably the best choice. They don't enforce caps especially with their FTTH internet plans and offer up to 250/260 60/30 for their Download/Upload.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

It has been years since I had MTS, but when I did, I hated their internet service.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.